Update from my "almost one year" post....

Options
Thaeda
Thaeda Posts: 834 Member

So about 3 weeks ago I posted about where I am now that I am a year out.... scared of regain...sometimes calorie obsessed...sometimes bingeing....anyway... I had my one year post surgery check up. Dr. is very pleased with my progress, but both she and the nutritionist suggested I get a therapist--- so I found one and see her in about a week and a half. I also plan to continue seeing the nutritionist at the weight loss center at least once every few months. It will help me to be accountable and will give me some more support. My insurance will cover it if my dr. can assign me a diagnosis that would require ongoing nutrition assistance-- there are a half dozen I can think of now that would apply, so I am not too worried about it. If for some reason it is a problem, I will pay out of pocket--- it is worth it to me.

Next up? I HAVE to figure out a way to get some resistance training into my routine. I have a few options I am considering... will keep you all posted.

I so appreciate the support I get here-- thanks everyone for all of the encouragement and love!!

Replies

• loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    It is wonderful that you recognize you may need the support or insight of a therapist and you value yourself enough to pay out of pocket if you have to. You are ensuring your overall success! You are an amazing person in my book.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    You have done such a great job, and your honesty and openness have really been an inspiration to me! You are awesome!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Look into "You are your own gym" or "Convict conditioning" - both are progressive weight bearing programs that use only your body weight. This will work you up to using weights if you ever decide to (this may be enough on its own). Its a good place to start since its free I think, you need no equipment and can do anytime at home.

Oh another good site to play with... bodbot.com - you tell it what you have available, what your goals are, how many days a week you want to work out and how long you have and it designs a program for you. This is nice if you have some equipment at home but not a lot - it will only use what you have.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thaeda: Good for you for doing so well thus far, and for realizing that you may further need assistance. ( believe me you are not alone on that aspect) I know you will do well, you so deserve this. Congrats! :)
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    anybody doing suspension training? i need a trx buddy!!!
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yep I love my TRX best money I ever invested. Right along with my P90 program
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    rscpjim wrote: »

oh great-- you'll have to share some of your routine....im starting today! gasp......
  • Thaeda
    Options
    It is wonderful that you recognize you may need the support or insight of a therapist and you value yourself enough to pay out of pocket if you have to. You are ensuring your overall success! You are an amazing person in my book.

Well thanks! As many of us already know, WLS is great, but it takes work in a lot of other areas to really get all of the benefits. :)
  • Thaeda
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    You have done such a great job, and your honesty and openness have really been an inspiration to me! You are awesome!

Awww shucks.... thanks much. I am finding allowing myself to be open and vulnerable is really working for me. :)
  • Thaeda
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    Look into "You are your own gym" or "Convict conditioning" - both are progressive weight bearing programs that use only your body weight. This will work you up to using weights if you ever decide to (this may be enough on its own). Its a good place to start since its free I think, you need no equipment and can do anytime at home.

Oh another good site to play with... bodbot.com - you tell it what you have available, what your goals are, how many days a week you want to work out and how long you have and it designs a program for you. This is nice if you have some equipment at home but not a lot - it will only use what you have.

Hmmmm.... I am not so good with technology... but I will need to look into these-- thanks much!!
  • Thaeda
    Options
    asia1967 wrote: »
    Thaeda: Good for you for doing so well thus far, and for realizing that you may further need assistance. ( believe me you are not alone on that aspect) I know you will do well, you so deserve this. Congrats! :)

TY Tracy. I appreciate your support and encouragement. :)
  • Thaeda
    Options

I have not heard of TRX, but I have heard a LOT of good things about PX90... thinking about looking into it. TY for the suggestion.

• mfpdevotee
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »

I have not heard of TRX, but I have heard a LOT of good things about PX90... thinking about looking into it. TY for the suggestion.

there are tons of videos for TRX... hope you get one!!!
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yeh you can even find the Videos on youtube! Check them out and youll see what I mean
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Great update! You are such an inspriation to so many of us and this is part of why you are! Your honesty and willingness to share your struggles with us lets us know we are not alone and not everyone else is just sailing along! Good job getting the therapy and nutritional help you need! With that attitude and determination, you are going to be successful, no doubt!
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Thaeda, Hope you are doing better. I have used the TRX and it is more fun than just weights, I also do a power class at the gym, You can also do body weight resistance training if you are home. Do wall squats, push ups, planks, lunges, all quite easy to do at home. Burpees are also good, but I hate them.... I do them, but I really hate them. Another good exercise for strength and balance is Barre fitness. ballerinas have strong legs!!!
  • Thaeda
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    Great update! You are such an inspriation to so many of us and this is part of why you are! Your honesty and willingness to share your struggles with us lets us know we are not alone and not everyone else is just sailing along! Good job getting the therapy and nutritional help you need! With that attitude and determination, you are going to be successful, no doubt!

Thx Pat... I so appreciate your encouragement and support!
  • Thaeda
    Options
    Thaeda, Hope you are doing better. I have used the TRX and it is more fun than just weights, I also do a power class at the gym, You can also do body weight resistance training if you are home. Do wall squats, push ups, planks, lunges, all quite easy to do at home. Burpees are also good, but I hate them.... I do them, but I really hate them. Another good exercise for strength and balance is Barre fitness. ballerinas have strong legs!!!

I checked out TRX... not ready to drop $200 on something like that right now, but maybe on down the road. I like the idea of the bodyweight exercises. Thx!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »

I checked out TRX... not ready to drop $200 on something like that right now, but maybe on down the road. I like the idea of the bodyweight exercises. Thx!

You dont have to! Here is the one I have, works nearly the same... Search amazon for WOSS Suspension trainers (they have several... like this one: http://www.amazon.com/WOSS-3000-Equalizer-Trainer-Black/dp/B005CV8LBW/ref=sr_1_2?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1423532025&sr=1-2&keywords=trx)

Look for their comparison chart for feature differences... you can get a nice setup under $50. Mine was under $30.
  • Thaeda
    edited February 2015
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »

You dont have to! Here is the one I have, works nearly the same... Search amazon for WOSS Suspension trainers (they have several... like this one: http://www.amazon.com/WOSS-3000-Equalizer-Trainer-Black/dp/B005CV8LBW/ref=sr_1_2?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1423532025&sr=1-2&keywords=trx)

Look for their comparison chart for feature differences... you can get a nice setup under $50. Mine was under $30.

SUPER!! That is great news-- thanks much for the tip!!