Food addiction

Options
meko1975
meko1975 Posts: 5 Member
Carb and sugar addiction is truly difficult. Does anyone else struggle with this?

Replies

• jmnicholas
    jmnicholas Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I really like my sweets, and carbs. I have found that not denying myself a treat helps, but also focussing on higher proportions of protein and vegetables makes me feel more full, so I don't crave the carbs/sweets as much.
  • momto2lovelykids
    momto2lovelykids Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Awesome plan,i too crave for it even on a full stomach,i want/need a piece of bread.
  • Julene64
    Julene64 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was a bread and pasta addict and struggled with it badly until I decided to go LCHF and totally give up all sugar, grains and refined carbs. The first few days were hard but each day got easier and within a week my cravings were completely gone. I highly recommend the documentaries "That Sugar Film" and "Cereal Killers". Those two films cemented my decision to never eat refined sugars and carbs again. I love to cook and have begun to collect healthy sweet recipes that are sugar free and low carb. I never feel deprived. I've also noticed that since going sugar/grain free my tastes have changed and things that tasted mildly sweet before, like berries, taste very sweet to me now.
  • skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am on day 5 of LCHF and my food "addiction" disappeared the second day! I had prayed because someone pointed out to me that I treated food like a "god" and kept saying "I LOVE food!" I am sure that God helped deliver me so quickly, but it is also the science of biochemistry (which God created!) Watch Dr. Lustig's video "Sugar: the Elephant in the Kitchen". This is my second time to go on LCHF and I had a ton of success (less pain, depression lifted, more energy, looked years younger). Then I got pregnant and it all went out the window! My little one is almost 2 and it is time to start back again. I will be running right alongside you. YOU CAN do this. I had Lynn Terry (lowcarbtraveler.com) tell me to give it FIVE days. She promised me it would change my life and my chemistry by then and she was RIGHT!
  • Suesh111
    Suesh111 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Know what you mean! The more carbs you have the more you want! Simple carbs make glucose spike, which, along with the insulin changes, makes you hungry. Then when your insulin levels fall fast after the spikes, that also makes you hungry. Like skinnylynnie and Julene, I had to go REALLY low carb for a time to reset, then in my case I do Atkins. But I still have to prepare myself mentally to expect cravings if I'll be eating the occasional simple carbs (like birthday cake). If I anticipate the cravings it seems a little easier for me to make it through them. Prayers for your success.