13»

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    CarsonRuns wrote: »
    sjohnny wrote: »
    I like to do a short run before my long runs sometimes. For instance, the evening before my 15 miler, I ran 3miles, and kept thinking "Ok. Just gotta do this 5 times tomorrow." I think of it as a warm up. I'd be scared to do more than 5 before a long race, and 5 is pushing it. But I'm no expert, and I'm listening to you all.

Not the day before a race. I just do a very easy very short "shake out run" the day before a race. The point of running a medium length run the day before a long training run is to pre-tire your legs to better condition you for running on tired legs on race day.

Not before a race either. I'm a bit extreme and take 3 full day off before a marathon :# Fresh legs are amazing!

I'm afraid my legs will seize up :laugh: I'm actually just about to go do a real easy 3 miles with a couple of strides in a few minutes. Then I'll take tomorrow off. Then my little shake out run on Saturday and as much just laying around doing nothing as I can get away with until Sunday morning.
    Good plan.

Thanks!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I like to do a short run before my long runs sometimes. For instance, the evening before my 15 miler, I ran 3miles, and kept thinking "Ok. Just gotta do this 5 times tomorrow." I think of it as a warm up. I'd be scared to do more than 5 before a long race, and 5 is pushing it. But I'm no expert, and I'm listening to you all.

Not the day before a race. I just do a very easy very short "shake out run" the day before a race. The point of running a medium length run the day before a long training run is to pre-tire your legs to better condition you for running on tired legs on race day.

Not before a race either. I'm a bit extreme and take 3 full day off before a marathon :# Fresh legs are amazing!

I'm afraid my legs will seize up :laugh: I'm actually just about to go do a real easy 3 miles with a couple of strides in a few minutes. Then I'll take tomorrow off. Then my little shake out run on Saturday and as much just laying around doing nothing as I can get away with until Sunday morning.

It's all about what works for you! :smile:

We're all different. But we're all here for the same thing.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options

It's all about what works for you! :smile:

We're all different. But we're all here for the same thing.

Exactly :)

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    One factor no one mentioned that played into my decision is heat (though perhaps that's where the Fall suggestions came from). As much as prefer summer for everything else I do, cold weather shaves minutes off my mile. I need to work on that. Someone who does 60 hours of manual labor a week in the southern summer sun really ought to be able to run in the same sun.

Heat sucks. I walked the last mile of Saturday's long run(18 miles) due to the heat. I wasn't breathing hard at all, my legs were still in pretty good shape. I was just getting hot. It was 75, sunny and I needed more water. I still made it in 3 hours even walking the last mile so I felt pretty good about the workout. I just wish it had been cooler. It was 40 degrees the day before on my easy run. :trollface: