Prednisone

Options
Maitria
Maitria Posts: 439 Member
I have pretty limited experience with this, because it usually makes me so agitated and nervous within a couple of days, so I've never had it in my system for too long. This time I made it almost two weeks on lower doses. I know that Prednisone can cause increased appetite while you're taking it, but has anyone experienced massive sugar cravings when done with it? I think they have subsided now, but for a week there, I was a total sugar fiend, which isn't my usual.

Replies

• Julslilly1
    Julslilly1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have every time. I hate toys drug. It makes me so puffy and also I become very hungry and angry.
    My pain doctor mentioned to get pure or raw honey and just take take teaspoon of it ... that stops the craving immediately. I hope this helps!
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I didn't want to blame the meds, but I felt like a sugar beast. (I am also all swollen.) I can't have honey, so I will figure something else out if needed (hopefully not.)
  • Julslilly1
    Julslilly1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh that sucks. That's help me. If I find something I'll let you know
  • e9196tep
    e9196tep Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been on whole body steroid injections and started on low dose 5mg prednisone 3 weeks ago. Also, I have begun Humira injections 2 weeks ago. I have been craving sugar. My drug of choice? The evil deliciousness of gummy bears! WHY!!? Since starting pred I gained 5lbs. I'm at least 50lbs overweight which creeped up over 10 years due to one chronic issue after another. Last year I used weight watchers and lost 20 over a 4 month period. Stopped losing but was able to keep from gaining any further. In a desperate attempt to stop steroid bloat I have stayed consistently at 1000 cal per day for this week. Strangely it has not been difficult at all. As you and many others surley understand exercise much less any activity can be ever so problematic to bring back to our lives. We do our best. Struggling to keep attractive and healthy yet it Seems just beyond reach. I will add back a few items into my diet but not gummy bears! I'm praying for remission and I know there are so many folks out there just like me. Hang on. You are who you are now. Work for a better tomorrow. You are worth it.