LOST 191 LBS (PHOTOS) --

Options
NikonPal
NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
Here you go Marie -- you asked for before and after; I also had a relative ask today - so I figured "what the heck."

Text I posted:

LOST 191 LBS (PHOTOS) – SUCCESS AFTER 999 FAILURES

Today, I am within 2 pounds of my final weight loss goal. I have lost 191 POUNDS!

I already have started planning my maintenance, strength training and toning for 2015. I know my weight will fluctuate a bit, as I add some muscle and my body adjusts etc. That was always (and remains) a part of my plan.

If I can paraphrase Scarlett in “Gone with the Wind” – “As God is my witness, as God is my witness [my weight is] not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be [morbidly obese] again… As God is my witness, I'll never be [morbidly obese] again.”

November 2013 – I tipped the scales at 405! Today – I am 214!

Like many people I had and/or still have several medical issues in addition to morbid obesity….heart issues, apnea, arthritis and more. I take or have taken dozens of medications like amiodarone, methotrexate, beta-blockers etc. Blah Blah Blah. Everyone has problems and I only list this as a tiny glimpse of my overall status.

With regards to morbid obesity in 2013, I felt beaten. I had been on every diet imaginable and was just plain sick and tired of “doing battle.” In the past, I had managed to lose “some weight” for a short period of time, but failed in the end. I had two different cardiologists and other medical professionals recommend diet plans, bariatric surgery etc.

In the summer of 2013, a friend mentioned a couple calorie-counting apps, including MFP. I made a mental note, but did nothing. In November of 2013, I was back trying to lose a few pounds. I lost 7 pounds quickly. It was at that time, I took a peek at the apps.

I do best when I set a “start date” for any task / challenge. I decided 12/1/13 would be Day #1 of my calorie-counting journey.

The delay was NOT about a last opportunity to “pig out” but taking time to prepare. I knew I would be setting an aggressive daily calorie target and it would be imperative that I stay well-nourished with a balance of nutrients, fiber & protein. I had a master’s degree in health services management and felt I knew enough to overhaul my lifestyle and diet.

This time was going to be different. I was going to design a plan for ME! A plan that would not be one-size-fits-all (be it food or exercise). It may sound like I was full of confidence, but in the recesses of my mind – I had small doubts because of past failures. Time and actions would remove that doubt.

In the near future, I will expand on the details of my trek to a more healthy weight and lifestyle. It’s a long story as you can imagine.

Today, a relative asked about before/after photos and my status – so I figured why not share my success today.

I will say this – My Fitness Pal works!

Comparison%202%20Final_zpslcpvynhn.jpg

Comparison%201%20Final_zpsdlkf7t1v.jpg

Comparison%203%20Final_zpsrsvbsrlr.jpg

Replies

• Blueharebell1
    Options
    I am so impressed BOB. Absolutely marvellous. You write very well, and you are a photographer too. Have you considered compiling your journey into book form with photos? I think it would be very inspirational for a lot of people still in your old shoes. Become a teacher. It would be a shame for so much knowledge to end with you and your success. The best teachers are the ones who have lived the journey. Be sure to let me have a signed copy when that book is published!
    ANNE
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I, too, am in awe of BOB's determination and success! Also a really neat personality ;) I wish I could believe sending this history and accompanying pictures would influence my dear son to at least attempt losing some of his extreme overweight! How would I do that without making him feel I'm a controlling mother of a 60 year old otherwise very intelligent guy? Thanks for sharing your story!
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    What an incredible journey you've been on Bob and my goodness, you must feel so proud because I imagine at times that goal of yours must have seemed a million miles (or pounds!) away. It's too easy to put head in the sand and think there's nothing to be done to improve our health and fitness but your strength of mind shines through and I'm delighted for you. Your photos are great and I thought the denims amusing but the 2 of you as you are today are that word I used in describing your photography.... STUNNING!

<3 Jackie
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Bob thanks for sharing your story with us. And what a story. You are such a good writer and your pictures of your meals are just outta this world.And you know you are not bad looking either. Thanks God for bring you to us. That it can be done. Anne is right you need to write a book on you journey with MFP
    its a pleasure knowing you I sent this wonderfrul story into MFP
    marie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,084 Member
    Options
    Astounding Bob! I am just speechless at the success you have enjoyed. I am so happy for you but that is nothing in comparison to how *good* you must feel now.

Thank you so much for sharing your story and pictures.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    I am short on time but did want to thank Bob for sharing his story and his pictures. You are an inspiration to all whether trying to lose 5 pounds or 200 pounds. Thank you Bob.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,914 Member
    Options
    :D Bob, thank you for sharing your photos and part of your story. Your moment of clarity, decision making, and persistence tell about the requirements for success. I look forward to hearing more about your journey.
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    That is a really impressive weight loss and I admire your self discipline and determination. I did reach my goal weight a few years back but put a bit back on as now have 2 grandchildren boarding with us which makes it more difficult to cook for them (and hubby) and not eat it myself...that's the trouble with being such a good cook...lol
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Truly motivating!!!!
  • janecl
    janecl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow, those pictures are amazing! Congrats on you accomplishment! I really admire you!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Bob - You will have to update you are now 199. :D

shirley