My Hair Is Everywhere

Options
2»

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm 9 months out and hair is not filling in yet.... Still pretty thin in the front and I don't see any new growth. I eat about 1200 cals a day and hit my protein. Any ideas? Is it possible my hair actually died in that area ??

I thinned a lot in front too and it took months before my hairdresser saw some regrowth. I don't know if it will ever all come back, it is thinner than before but better than at it's worst and I am 3.5 years out. What helped a lot was biotin. I take double the dose. I've heard good things about a product called Hair, Skin and Nails as well. And I've heard that rubbing olive oil on your scalp helps. It does something to stimulate the folicles and really deep conditions your hair as well. I haven't tried this but know a distant family member who swears by it. In the meantime I cut my hair into a style I don't have to blow out as heat stying seems to make it thinner yet.

• Patty2point0
    Patty2point0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    I'm 9 months out and hair is not filling in yet.... Still pretty thin in the front and I don't see any new growth. I eat about 1200 cals a day and hit my protein. Any ideas? Is it possible my hair actually died in that area ??

I thinned a lot in front too and it took months before my hairdresser saw some regrowth. I don't know if it will ever all come back, it is thinner than before but better than at it's worst and I am 3.5 years out. What helped a lot was biotin. I take double the dose. I've heard good things about a product called Hair, Skin and Nails as well. And I've heard that rubbing olive oil on your scalp helps. It does something to stimulate the folicles and really deep conditions your hair as well. I haven't tried this but know a distant family member who swears by it. In the meantime I cut my hair into a style I don't have to blow out as heat stying seems to make it thinner yet.
    Thanks for the response! I'll keep hope alive. I take biotin but only the basic dose because it does break me out. I think I'll try some extra hair vitamins as well...
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think I've now hit hair loss. I thought i was going through my normal "winter shed" since i have long thick hair. But it's not alowing up, if not increasing. Then again, winter is far from over too. I did lose hair after both c-sections I had too. It came back. I'm taking biotin, upped my shampoo quality and decreased times between washes. But every morning my brush is full. I just hot 3 months post op yesterday.

Renovagirl - great article, thanks for sharing.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the typos. I'm reading/responding while on elliptical. ;)
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Renovagirl, thanks so much for posting the very informative article.
    Thanks also to everyone who shared and offered things they tried and what helped them.
    It makes sense that protein that normally kept our hair healthy is being depleted because that protein is needed for our vital organs. That is what the article said and it made sense.

I know that it's a normal thing to have happen after major surgery and rapid weight loss.
    I started my weight loss journey last February and lost 47 before surgery in November and then 40 since so that is 87 lbs. in one year.

I'm only washing my hair 3x a week right now. It's not bad in the winter but when the weather warms up (I live in Central Canada) the summers can get quite warm and humid. I hope that by then the hair loss eases up.

Thanks again everyone for sharing and caring. :)

• loribashor
    loribashor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the .pdf post about hair loss. Great information. Now I see that most of the things I bought to add to my morning smoothie at the health food store just *might* help (iron, fish oil, hair/skin/nails combination).... but there is not much I can do about it because of the major factors of surgery and rapid weight loss. Ah well.... maybe a new do in the future :)