What do you say?

Options
momkas
momkas Posts: 22 Member
I have people noticing the weight loss and they always ask me how I'm losing. What do you say. I feel like some judge the surgery as an EASY way out. I know it's not, it's a lot of hard work and exercise.

Replies

• weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    So many different responses you will probably get to this question…its a very individual decision. One common response is 'I'm on a medically designed plan under the supervision of my physician'…or some such thing. Some are straight up straight ahead I had surgery. Me? I have not hidden the surgery, but I have not advertised it either. When people ask-my response is generally 'high protein, low carb' and, depending on how well I know the person or the like, I might add 'and I let the surgeon remove 70% of my stomach.' This puts the emphasis on the long term plan of protein first.
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm open about the surgery. When people ask, I don't want to give the false impression that simple diet and exercise is what worked. Fact is, that didn't work and surgery was the best choice for me. That may be the case for someone else, too, and maybe I'll inspire them to move forward. Personally, I don't really care what judgements other people make about the surgery. I know it was the best thing for me, and that's all that matters.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    jrnguyen wrote: »
    I'm open about the surgery. When people ask, I don't want to give the false impression that simple diet and exercise is what worked. Fact is, that didn't work and surgery was the best choice for me. That may be the case for someone else, too, and maybe I'll inspire them to move forward. Personally, I don't really care what judgements other people make about the surgery. I know it was the best thing for me, and that's all that matters.

This has been the way I have chosen to handle questions too.
  • SweetJulyRoses
    SweetJulyRoses Posts: 39
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have chosen not to share my private medical history with others not close to me. If someone asks, I just tell them high protein and low carb, restricted calories and exercise.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am open about my surgery. People can be judgmental but I think that's because they are uninformed, and I think talking about the surgery and helping people understand can help to remove the stigma that seems to be associated with it. I tell people I had surgery and made a lot of lifestyle changes. That pretty much sums it up.