Road Bike Tires

Options
bsexton3
bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
I have been running GatorSkins 700x25 on my road bike for the past five years or so. I wore through my second set as winter set in. So, as the weather here is starting to show signs of spring, I am wondering what others are riding on. Should I get a new set of gatorskins, or try something else?

Replies

• Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Commute bike is on gatorskins 28's. Road bike is on Vredestein Freccia 23's( came with the bike), not the greatest rolling resistant tyres however there durability and grip is pretty good. I have only done about 1200km's on them but once they are done I will be going back to Conti Grandprix 4000s II. Great all round tyre and much lighter than the gatorskins.

All this depends on the what type of roads you are on and what your expectations of the tyre are.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I ride Schwalbe ZX Ultremo's (700x23) on my roadie's; good grip, light & good puncture protection until they're reaching 'end of life'. I've currently got Schwalbe ZX Ultremo Aqua's (again, 700x23) on my winter bike (CX) & they're really good too; good grip at low temperatures and in the wet...
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Both road and TT bikes are running Conti GP4000s. The only other road tires I've spent any significant time on are some kind of Specialized high-mileage tire. I think they were Roubaix Pros but I don't remember really. The Contis are much lighter and ride better. I'm very happy with them overall and I'll likely stick with them when the current sets wear out.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've got a bunch of miles on both Conti GP 4000s and Vitoria Rubino Pros. I like both.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    On my Boyd wheels I've been using either the Conti 4000S or the Vittoria Open Corsa CX. The Vittorias have a very nice feel and great grip but are not that good in the puncture resistance department. The Contis are a solid all rounder.

On my C24 wheels I have the Schwalbe One tubeless. They are the best tires I've ever used. Great grip and feel and punctures are a thing of the past
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    veloman21 wrote: »
    ... and feel and punctures are a thing of the past

Well, if that hasn't jinxed you, nothing else will... The Pssssst fairy will have her revenge!
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    veloman21 wrote: »
    ... and feel and punctures are a thing of the past

Well, if that hasn't jinxed you, nothing else will... The Pssssst fairy will have her revenge!

Oops you're right, I meant to say pinch flats!!! Dear psssst fairy please accept my humble apologies!
  • howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about tires so probably no help. I have had two Raleigh bikes and just put the ones they use back on my latest. They seem to be good for me not sure how they stack up to others. They are Kenda K841A With K-Sheild.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    I ride Schwalbe ZX Ultremo's (700x23) on my roadie's; good grip, light & good puncture protection until they're reaching 'end of life'. I've currently got Schwalbe ZX Ultremo Aqua's (again, 700x23) on my winter bike (CX) & they're really good too; good grip at low temperatures and in the wet...

Love my Schwalbe tires. They have held up well on some crappy road conditions, only flat I've had one them was due to a roofing nail. I don't think any tires I have ridden could have taken that.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm pretty impressed with Specialized Threshold (28s). Just replaced my rear after around 3,500 miles and front was still going strong (front from a different bike setup as home trainer). Think I paid around $36 with sales taxes (full LBS price, purchased in a rush and was too lazy to search or mail order). So that a little over a penny a mile and zero flats over the seven months of use. Will be keeping an eye out for sales and stocking up.
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Conti 4000s2. I run 25s and they are every bit as fast as the 23s and much more comfortable.