Lessons Learned

Options
My fitness journey started well over a year ago now (Jan. 2012). I was reflecting back over that time and thinking about things I have learned about fitness, nutrition, myself, the fitness industry, etc. I would like to hear some of the truths you have discovered along the way...

Some of the items that came to my mind are:
* No one program, diet, or workout is right for everyone all the time.
* What works for me today may not tomorrow.
* Consistency and patience = long term results.
* Health and fitness is a huge industry and everyone wants to sell you something, so be careful where you shop :)
* In general (I know there are many facets and caveats) controlling calories and eating real foods is 90% of the battle
* Logging what you eat is invaluable
* Don't push through real injuries. Rest and recover.

I have more but just wanted to get the ball rolling. Can't wait to hear what you guys have learned. :smile:

Replies

• PGG19
    PGG19 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I still have a lot to understand.
    Over the last 3 years I have a little common sense down, lol

-- if at the end of any workout, you're not feeling a little fatigue, you're not pushing hard enough
    -- should not focus on skinny, but focus on healthy, and skinny will show up
    -- if the lbs and measurements are frustrating you, stop checking them so often (it only makes it worse)
    -- trying to find what works for you is a HUGE trial and error process, and may take weeks
    -- you may be intolerant/allergic to something and not know it
    -- portion control is your ticket off the binge-train

:)
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Good ones, PGG19!

A few more..

-- Rather than the flavor of the month workout, find something you enjoy
    -- A 2-3 lb weight change in a day is almost all water, so don't get too down or too excited
    -- Along the same lines, it is more helpful to look at a week or month snapshot for weight, measurements, calories consumed, etc. rather than day to day.
    -- I don't know how addictive sugar is, but, for me, eating sugar leads to craving more sugar
    -- I have discovered that I can push myself more in the gym than I realized, and it is satisfying (even enjoyable)

Still figuring things out as well....
  • K_Mcfadden321
    Options
    These are really good! I'll have to take some time to reflect on what I have learned over the past few years!
  • K_Mcfadden321
    Options
    You guys have covered pretty much all of the lessons I have learned but a few that I have to constantly remind myself of are:

- It takes TIME. Being persistent, patient and putting in hard work will get you there eventually
    - "Failing to plan is planning to fail" - planning out your week of meals/workouts is important to success
    - Don't be afraid to try new things in terms of workouts (even if they look 'too hard') and foods (I used to be a pretty picky eater so this is big for me!)
    - Try to cook and prepare at least 90% of the food you put into your body
  • Mommy2akt
    Mommy2akt Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My personal lesson for me:
    Track every bite so I know where I stand.
    Don't have it in the house if its something I shouldn't eat.
    I can't just have one bite... so it's better for me not to start.
    Just get moving. Taking first step is the hardest.
    Drink lots of water

Also agree with K on the planning and cooking at home. Crazy how many more calories that are consumed eating out!
    Also agree with Moody on looking at the big picture when weighing and measuring.
    Also agree with PGG on focusing on being healthy not skinny.

Love reading these. Thanks!!
  • BarbellApprentice
    Options
    Mommy2akt, some of those are big ones for me..

* If it is in the house it will get eaten (this is part of my weekend issues).
    * One bite leads to finishing the whole thing for me. Some people eat until satisfied, but I tend to continue..
    * I actually enjoy eating healthy foods and eating healthy makes calorie control MUCH easier
    * I am proud of my progress but still focus on parts of my body I don't like (maybe this is ok in that it keeps me motivated?)
    * The more confused or in a rut I get the more I need to tear everything down and go back to basics
  • BarbellApprentice
    Options
    Just thought of one more that is probably obvious but...

Lack of sleep and stress really make losing fat more difficult.