Ladies only! please help

Options
2»

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    What's worked so far for me is, besides wearing a well-fitting sports bra with wicking material and no underwire, is putting deodorant/antiperspirant around the band and strap area. My deodorant is an "invisible solid" type and it's prevented any marks/chafing so far, up to half-marathon distance.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just an update: I did two things that seemed to have helped. One is that I bought the body glide and slathered it all over. It also worked really great for preventing my thighs from chafing! The second thing is that I fastened my bra on the tightest setting. This seems to have prevented it from sliding up but now instead it digs into my skin and leaves some indents, but it doesn't chafe. I also measured myself and I lost another half inch off of my chest, so I will probably need a new size soon.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You can lube the area where chafing occurs, or put tape (athletic, kt, rocktape). Also, if your bra rode up, its too big. If you use the pullover kind, it should take some effort to get in and out of. It shouldn't be able to move around.
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    alikonda wrote: »
    When I started running long distances, I had to stop buying cheap, cotton sports bras and started buying ones made of nicer fabric that were actually made for running. RunningWarehouse.com has a great sale section.

Not much you can do about it after the fact - if you give it a few days, the rubbed skin will dry out, probably scab over, and stop hurting. On really long runs or runs in the rain, I like to apply BodyGlide to my skin under the straps and bottom band of my sports bras.

^ This. I'm working on investing in quality gear for running after buying a lot of crap. Long runs do not like cotton. at. all. I chafed horribly and got a sunburn two weeks ago after a 12 mile run. I was not a happy camper, lol. Went out and bought a new tank AND sunscreen. lol.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    kpw818 wrote: »
    alikonda wrote: »
    When I started running long distances, I had to stop buying cheap, cotton sports bras and started buying ones made of nicer fabric that were actually made for running. RunningWarehouse.com has a great sale section.

Not much you can do about it after the fact - if you give it a few days, the rubbed skin will dry out, probably scab over, and stop hurting. On really long runs or runs in the rain, I like to apply BodyGlide to my skin under the straps and bottom band of my sports bras.

^ This. I'm working on investing in quality gear for running after buying a lot of crap. Long runs do not like cotton. at. all. I chafed horribly and got a sunburn two weeks ago after a 12 mile run. I was not a happy camper, lol. Went out and bought a new tank AND sunscreen. lol.
    Sun?
    What is this sun you speak of?
    And thank tops?
    What are those?!
    o.o

(I kid. But I'm in Maine and it's cold and just finally getting sunny. But not particularly warm)
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I switched to compression bras and that totally solved my chafing problems. I just got the Champion brand from Target - they weren't expensive at all. They can be hard to get on because they don't have hooks, but they work great.

As others said, no cotton, Bodyglide is useful.
  • runner2445
    runner2445 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This happened to me a lot when I upped my mileage. Once your sports bra is wet from the sweat and there are many more miles to go, it can be horrible! I would suggest getting different sports bras that won't chafe. I went from cotton bras to these bras from under armor and the rubbing has stopped so far.https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/armour-bra-20-c/pid1252160-001

If nothing else works or you don't want to get a new bra yet, try large waterproof bandaids over the area that rubs. Bodyglide never seemed to do the trick for me, but the bandaids will always stay on and prevents the rub. But it's only a temporary solution since you have continually get more bandaids.
  • lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am on the larger chested side and I stopped even thinking about a sports bra that doesn't clasp and come in regular bra sizes. I used to pretend S,M,L sizing worked but I really don't think it does. I do get some lines here and there but really no chaffing. I agree with others, it was a bit of trial and error but I found one that works and until it proves otherwise, its the only one I will buy.

As far as dealing with the irritation you have, I got a totally random open sore actually on my breast several weeks before my first half marathon two years ago and I used lots of first aid cream and let it out to dry (didn't wear a bra around the house) as much as possible and I couldn't believe how quickly it healed.

Good luck, don't let crappy sports bras keep you from running!!!
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My money was on weight loss. Then I saw your update, and it sounds like that was the case :)
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    A running bra should be tight. Think compression. Some large chested women wear two.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I recently visited an Under Armour outlet store where the (female) sales rep told my friend that their High Intensity sports bras are like "clouds gently holding your bosoms in place." With a description like that, I had to try them! I hadn't ever had a sports bra that fastens in the back (this is a combination overhead/back-fastened bra), so it felt a little awkward to put on and I feel like I notice it for the first few minutes that I'm wearing it.

BUT...I've since worn it for both HIIT sessions and up to 9.5-mile runs, and I have to admit that it's super comfy! (I actually ordered another one online just now!) It seems a little more solidly built than some of my other sports bras (including a UA overhead one I bought a couple years ago) so I don't imagine it'll be stretching out or wearing through anytime soon.

Haven't tried the Moving Comfort one everyone else has been recommending, but figured I'd share my recent success. :smile:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I buy these bras at Walmart, they are cheap and I love them. I'm only a 36B but even when I was bigger I never had a problem with chafing. They don't slide up and down when I run and are comfortable..oh yeah and cheap at like $12.00.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14520436?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedItemId=17480230&adid=22222222227014595936&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40883346992&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78814335272&veh=sem

25i0rzb5yde1.jpg

bra.jpg 19.7K
  • lschwenning
    Options
    Body Glide!!!!!! I used to begin chafing after the run hit about 9 miles or more. Usually at the straps over my shoulder and in front of my ribs. I don't go distance now without body glide. It looks like deodorant but works like a charm. Give it a shot.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Paw paw ointment seems to work okay for me, both for prevention and treatment. I have the chafing as soon as my runs reach about 15km but never on smaller runs :|
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me before. 1) Vaseline or body glide on affected areas 2) make sure you are wearing a high-impact sports bra (I like Moving Comfort for larger-chested ladies), 3) If you are wearing your sports bra several times a week, you should be replacing it annually.