Welcome to Joyful Juicers! Please Introduce Yourself :)

Options
JacquiH73
JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
Hi,

Thank you for joining us! :)

Please tell us about some of your interests and why you juice or why you are thinking of juicing.

Replies

• JacquiH73
    Options
    Since I started this group I guess I'll start.

I've always classified myself as a "vegetable hater" and my main diet was meat and starch. "Meat and potatoes girl" as I'm sure some of you can relate. Over time and two pregnancy's later I don't like the way I look and I don't like the way I feel and I just know in my bones my diet has everything to do with it.

But what to do? I "hate" vegetables, so what can a person who hates veggies do? I think I'll fast and think about it. Really think about it and do some research too.

So at this stage I knew I wanted to revolutionize my diet so I decided to do a master cleanse. I've done one before so I could look better in my wedding dress and I could do one again but not to lose weight but rather to cut myself off from caffeine, oils and fats, and refined sugar. I needed to go cold turkey and I knew a master cleanse could do because it had done it before. After my first master cleanse in 2006 I ate healthier because I had severed my craving for sugar and fatty food. I went vegetarian, but then Thanksgiving came and it was all downhill from there.

But even when I went vegetarian back then I wasn't eating many vegetables. In that earlier experience I had went down from 165lb to 145lbs and I maintained until my second child 8 years later. This December I was wearing 190lbs of flesh on this tiny 5 foot 3 inch frame and boy can my back feel it.

So this time I decided a good 60 days was a commitment I needed to make for myself to improving my diet and my health. I wasn't going to juice fast for sixty days like Joe Cross in his Fat Sick and Nearly Dead Movie but I did see juicing as a way of introducing my palate to the taste of fruits and vegetable so I could better adapt to a plant based whole foods diet and adopt that for 40 days after my cleanse and juice fast.

After the master cleanse I juice fasted for 7 days. I couldn't drink juices that were all veggie. I need the fruit to make them palatable to me but I made sure all my juices had a 3 or more different colors going in. I also included a protein smoothie mid afternoon snack and a hot pureed soup for dinner. The soups I could add 5 or more different veg to and spice and make really delicious without needing any sweetener or oils.

So far so good. I'm enjoying all the foods I am eating immensely. There's been some trial and error but very little has gone to waste. I now need to look into composting though. Then from composting into gardening. I'm not going to start to discuss my two brown thumbs. I'll start small with an herb garden and work from there. ;)

So why 60 days? I don't really mean to quit and go back to my old unhealthy diet but I look at each stage as a goal to attain. 10 days on the master cleanse (w/a 3 day ease in) and 7 days on a juice fast. With each little accomplishment I feel a little bit better about myself. Now if I manage to stick to a an oil and simple carb free plant based whole foods diet for 40day...wow...what a BIG accomplishment that will be. So that's my goal and from their hopefully long healthy life.

So that's my story. I work part-time in wine & liquor sales and full time in managing a household with 3 adults and 2 children. I'm happy and I'm social both online and offline. Sometimes I have a hard time balancing the two social lives though.

Thank you for reading :)
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Great story!

I also just watched the documentary of Fast Sick & Nearly Dead, and it reminded me how healthy juices are.

I grew up with my Mom being super healthy, we had fruit juices every morning, and vegetable juices just before dinner. This combined with smoothies once in a while too...

Now that I've been on my own for 10+ years, with a wife and an 8 month old Son, I decided I want to be a bit healthier moving forward. Not just to lose weight, but to have all the nutrients that I think I should have.

I am looking to basically replace my breakfast with a healthy juice/smoothie every day, which kickstarts my day with some goodness. Not sure if I'll attempt a "Juice Fast" or not, it does seem effective to healthily lose weight fast.

Looking forward to juicing for myself for the first time tonight, my wife bought me a juicer and I can't wait to go to the grocery store and buy some ingredients!
  • dtaanderson
    dtaanderson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is David/ I try to juice at least once a month/ 3 or 7 day/ I think its a great way to clean the body/ I been calorie counting now for over 30 days or so. I use all organics when I can/ When I juice again I would like to try to figure the calories as close as possible/ I am not sure how to go about that/ If anyone has any input that would help I would love that/I look forward to hearing and reading more here/ Thx David
  • JacquiH73
    Options
    @dtaanderson‌ When adding my juices I use the recipe creator. I have everything go into a glass that has a fl oz volume measure on the side. The different fruits and veg tend to settle separate especially when you use fruits and veg with a lot of different colors. So I can kind of eyeball it and see that I have 2 oz of apple juice. 4 oz of carrot and another 2 oz of spinach etc. Or I can keep track of the volume as each ingredient goes into the glass. Then I create a recipe manually and plug in the juices and number of ounces.

When it matches ingredients sometimes I have to play around with the replace option to make sure the calories are for homemade juice and not bottled or concentrate.

HTH