Rx for Glucose Tabs

Options
Has anyone ever gotten a prescription for glucose tablets? I buy them OTC and as I lose more weight, the need for them increases. I started buying them in the bottles of 50, and then started buying 2-3 bottles at a time. Now I seem to be buying those bottles more frequently. I would like to get a Rx for these so that insurance might cover some of the cost, and I can use FSA money after that.

I'm going to ask my endo when I see him next month. He might give me a wierd look... I can't be the first one to ask for an Rx to help reduce my cost for these, right? Tell me I'm not crazy.

Replies

• okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can get a Rx for them. You can however order them at $3.96 for the 50 ct. from Walmart. If you spend $50 shipping is free. I order $50 worth at a time cause I know eventually I'll use them since I don't see a cure coming anytime soon. Then you can use the FSA for the $50.

Also look to use something else to use. Smarties will bring you up fast and are way cheaper. Another diabetic friend of mine uses sugar packets or sugar cubes to treat her lows. Again way cheaper and you will never eat plain sugar just cause it tastes good.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    You can get an Rx for them, it just isn't required in order to purchase glucose tabs. But I think I need an Rx in order to get insurance to consider covering it or to get FSA reimbursement.
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use gummy candy like gum drops or Swedish fish. Much cheaper, and you don't need as many to take care of business.
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I started buying these glucose shots at Walmart, its the only place that I can find them. They look like those 5 hour energy shots but are actually glucose. They work great, the only problem is that they are $2 each. I absolutely hate wasting my calories on them though, actually on anything to treat a low.

Has anyone seen the pump that is in the works that has insulin and glucagon in it? That would be amazing, no more wasting calories on chalky tabs!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, I saw that, but it doesn't look like it will be available for a long time.