I need help

Options
I joined this group because I had GAINED back pretty much all the weight (10kg+) I lost last year in a matter for 6 months. Gosh, I feel so terrible.
I can do great until about 6-7pm when I get home and I binge. I calculate all my calories for the day, even my dinner, I get home - eat my dinner then realise I don't feel satisfied and get some sweets. On my days off I think positive then at the end I binge.
I am trying really super hard, but I need help. Gaining that weight back has really brought me down, realizing my struggle to lose that weight is now my current struggle again...
I am losing all hope on myself

Replies

• nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    What is causing you to binge? Are you dieting too extreme causing you to binge at the end of the day? Or are there too many temptations in your home?
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Before I can help you with some ideas I need some information: sex, height, goal weight, current weight and current daily caloric target and exercise routine.
    In general, if you don't feel satisfied after a meal and have a general feel of malaise than your body might require extra intake of certain macros. Supplementing protein and fat intake throughout the day might help.
    Also, we must understand that sugar/sweet/carbs cravings are the most normal thing in the world, because this type of food is the fastest to be turned into glucose and available immediately to the body. It's your body's way of saying: "give me food now"
    However, this could also be a habit and coping mechanism for different issues. Give me more info so we can determine the cause
  • forevertoday
    forevertoday Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think it is mostly a lack of motivation. I can't seem to find any :/
    I have recently cut down my diet soda intake, I use to have 1 or 2 600ml bottles a day, now it is 1 every week or so (I have replaced it with sparkling water)
    If I have calories for it, I will have like a cookie or something, I don't feel like I am depriving myself of anything. I eat the same foods I did when I lost my weight last year, but I just...gave up.

Female
    5'4"
    GW: 60kg
    CW: 96.5kg
    Daily Calories: 1400
    Exercise: Walking 1 hours+ a day
  • forevertoday
    Options
    Actually, it started when I joined a gym last year, I felt SO SO hungry after my gym session that I went home and ate and ate, the next day I would still feel so hungry. I quit the gym because I felt like I could not accurately calculate how much energy I burnt to eat it back or stay within my calorie goal

I plan on re-joining a gym once I am about 10kg from my GW
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Hi Forevertoday,
    Thank you for sharing your info with me.
    Your stats are very similar with mine this past August. Right around that time I was eating between 1400-1600 calories and began to feel a lack of excitement towards my gym time and my weight was stalling . I just didn't feel like doing much at all. I was scared because I used to love the gym and began to feel myself changing. I did some research and decided to try something different. I calculated my BMR and TDEE and upped my calories to 1850. After two weeks ally bad symptoms were gone and I started to see the scale move down :)
    As far as exercise goes, walking is great. Cardio, especially if too intense for prolonged time can cause hunger. I do kindly recommend some form of resistance training ( bodyweight exercises like squats, push-ups, lounges) to prevent muscle loss.
    Always trust your body and don't starve; we all work in different ways and while some can sustain a big deficits, for some, the slower road is more appropriate.
    I am at 84kg now and that is what worked for me.
  • forevertoday
    Options
    Hi Forevertoday,
    Thank you for sharing your info with me.
    Your stats are very similar with mine this past August. Right around that time I was eating between 1400-1600 calories and began to feel a lack of excitement towards my gym time and my weight was stalling . I just didn't feel like doing much at all. I was scared because I used to love the gym and began to feel myself changing. I did some research and decided to try something different. I calculated my BMR and TDEE and upped my calories to 1850. After two weeks ally bad symptoms were gone and I started to see the scale move down :)
    As far as exercise goes, walking is great. Cardio, especially if too intense for prolonged time can cause hunger. I do kindly recommend some form of resistance training ( bodyweight exercises like squats, push-ups, lounges) to prevent muscle loss.
    Always trust your body and don't starve; we all work in different ways and while some can sustain a big deficits, for some, the slower road is more appropriate.
    I am at 84kg now and that is what worked for me.

Thank you, I was eating 1200 back then, but added 200 more since I re-started.
    Today I seem to have stayed on track, but it is only 5:15pm. I know if I could keep on track 100% for a week or 2 I can do it for months beauce I don't want to break my streak, but starting is the hard part
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I have a few tips. You might already be doing these, but this is what works for me.

1. Make sure you're eating an appropriate calorie goal. It sounds like you're not overly low, but I would just double check your TDEE. Consider switching to the TDEE method over the MFP method (MFP you enter exercise calories and eat them back, TDEE exercise calories are already in your goal). TDEE spreads your exercise calories over the week, so you get to eat a little bit more everyday, instead of just on days you exercise. It really helped me. Try using this calculator: scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

2. Make sure you are eating enough protein, fat, and fiber. Those foods are more satiating and will help prevent you from feeling hungry.

3. Adjust your eating schedule to match when you are wanting to eat. I like to eat at night too. So I eat a small breakfast & a moderate lunch. I save half of my calories for when I get home at night. I eat a relatively large supper (for me, maybe not for others) and save 200-300 calories for an evening snack. I plan my snack out (usually ice cream, chips, or a baked good) and its something that I look forward to. Knowing that I'm going to have a really awesome snack helps keeping me from binging. If I binge, I can't have it because I'll use up my calories. I eat this snack around 9pm and I go to bed at 10.
    In order to do this, I had to stop snacking during the day. It's a trade off. Getting out of my daytime snacking habit was challenging, but it was worth it for me. Here are some tips to help you break that habit if it interests you (also useful for other habits too): https://experiencelife.com/article/the-power-of-habit/ The book this article is based on is awesome and I highly recommend reading it.

Number 3 is really what helped me stop binging. I won't binge if I know that I can get something awesome in about an hour if I hold off. Eating it so close to bed means that I'm still feeling satisfied by it when I go to sleep, so I won't binge afterward. I also do my workout in the evening. So I eat dinner, wait an hour to digest, workout, then its usually about time to have my treat. Keeps me busy and focused.

This is what worked for me, you have to experiment to figure out what works for you.
  • krp97
    krp97 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have a few tips. You might already be doing these, but this is what works for me.

1. Make sure you're eating an appropriate calorie goal. It sounds like you're not overly low, but I would just double check your TDEE. Consider switching to the TDEE method over the MFP method (MFP you enter exercise calories and eat them back, TDEE exercise calories are already in your goal). TDEE spreads your exercise calories over the week, so you get to eat a little bit more everyday, instead of just on days you exercise. It really helped me. Try using this calculator: scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

2. Make sure you are eating enough protein, fat, and fiber. Those foods are more satiating and will help prevent you from feeling hungry.

3. Adjust your eating schedule to match when you are wanting to eat. I like to eat at night too. So I eat a small breakfast & a moderate lunch. I save half of my calories for when I get home at night. I eat a relatively large supper (for me, maybe not for others) and save 200-300 calories for an evening snack. I plan my snack out (usually ice cream, chips, or a baked good) and its something that I look forward to. Knowing that I'm going to have a really awesome snack helps keeping me from binging. If I binge, I can't have it because I'll use up my calories. I eat this snack around 9pm and I go to bed at 10.
    In order to do this, I had to stop snacking during the day. It's a trade off. Getting out of my daytime snacking habit was challenging, but it was worth it for me. Here are some tips to help you break that habit if it interests you (also useful for other habits too): https://experiencelife.com/article/the-power-of-habit/ The book this article is based on is awesome and I highly recommend reading it.

Number 3 is really what helped me stop binging. I won't binge if I know that I can get something awesome in about an hour if I hold off. Eating it so close to bed means that I'm still feeling satisfied by it when I go to sleep, so I won't binge afterward. I also do my workout in the evening. So I eat dinner, wait an hour to digest, workout, then its usually about time to have my treat. Keeps me busy and focused.

This is what worked for me, you have to experiment to figure out what works for you.

So out of curiosity I calculated my TDEE and mfp is giving me almost 300 calories less than I should be eating. How do I adjust that on mfp?
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I know me -- I know I will likely (95%) want that post-7pm snack. In fact, I have never not had a snack after 7pm.

As many do - I back into my daily targeted calories using it as a bank account. I rarely, if ever, allow myself a "line-of-credit" (LOL).

The first thing I set aside in the morning - is that late night snack(s). They are "planned" and measured snacks such as 100-calorie popcorn, 90-calorie Fiber Bar, Sugar-free jello, Fruit Cups, Edy’s Frozen Bars etc.

Lately I have been mixing Dannon - Light & Fit Carb & Sugar Control Vanilla Cream Yogurt, 4 oz. with "fresh" blueberries. raspberries, strawberries (that is less than 125 calories total) and if I get the need for some "crunch" and don't want popcorn I might reach for a 90-calorie bag of Kellogg's Special K Cracker Chips or; I simply weigh out the portion I want (just because a serving is 30g doesn't mean I can't weigh out 15g) and have that in addition to the aforementioned. For that Chocolate craving I might grab a WW Bliss or brownie.

The point is - I stay in control. I set the snack expenditure in the morning to a reasonable amount, say 100-200 calories (if I have extra room at the end of the day for more -- great -- if not I have planned enough to satisfy my needs.

Tonight might be Luigi's - Real Italian Ice - Lemon / Cherry - No Sugar Added , 1 cup (4 fl oz) - 60 calories plus something else. I do stay away from my triggers (eg. pizza).

Good luck --

73641431.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    SingRunTing's pointers are great.

You can custom set your calories. I do TDEE method also, so custom set mine. When you go into set goals pick custom. That's how people custom set macros too. Just remember that usually it's a less aggressive goal than MFP's 2 lbs--when I was cutting 20% that was around 1 lb/week--so it does make careful logging even more important. It's nice not to have to mess with workout calories, though.

One question is what you mean by binging. Lots of people use it for just eating more than you planned vs. really uncontrolled consumption of tons of calories for reasons unrelated to hunger/wanting the taste. I ask because I think the first problem is a lot easier to deal with and it's one I feel more able to give advice on, since it's something I've struggled with, while I haven't really binged in the ED meaning ever.

Based on personal experience eating sweets when hungry doesn't work for me, I tend to overeat. I can eat sweets in moderation by including them at the end of a meal in a planned quantity but if I eat them when I'm feeling hungry I tend to have a much harder time not overeating. So if you are having issues with feeling unsatisfied I'd fix that first, maybe by including more in earlier meals or a larger dinner or by changing up to have more protein and fat plus more veggies.

• forevertoday
    Options
    Thanks everyone :smile:
    I stayed on track yesterday and even did some cardio

I think it is a great idea to think of my calories as a bank account - totally going to do this :)

I don't know if it is binging, but I will eat like a 250g block of chocolate at once - i am aware i do this, I have set some calories aside for after 7pm as suggested.
    I set out my lunch and dinner the night before, so that is probably why it is after these meals i do my damage.

I also tried so increase my protein intake with bars and shakes, but I think i have some type of intolerace. I have tried several different brands and even a pea protein shake. Ever since I had my gallbladder removed my stomach does not handle things the same way :(

I hope today goes well for you all and thank you all for the suggestions
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I joined this group because I had GAINED back pretty much all the weight (10kg+) I lost last year in a matter for 6 months. Gosh, I feel so terrible.
    I can do great until about 6-7pm when I get home and I binge. I calculate all my calories for the day, even my dinner, I get home - eat my dinner then realise I don't feel satisfied and get some sweets. On my days off I think positive then at the end I binge.
    I am trying really super hard, but I need help. Gaining that weight back has really brought me down, realizing my struggle to lose that weight is now my current struggle again...

I don't have too long at the computer for now, but one thing that stood out to me was the pre-logging you're doing. I was doing this myself and actually noticed I was more likely to go overboard on days I pre-logged vs. those where I committed to just logging as I go. That might be worth a try. When I come home later today I'll take a closer look at everything else in the thread and see if there's anything else that sticks out.
  • forevertoday
    Options
    lalepepper wrote: »

I don't have too long at the computer for now, but one thing that stood out to me was the pre-logging you're doing. I was doing this myself and actually noticed I was more likely to go overboard on days I pre-logged vs. those where I committed to just logging as I go. That might be worth a try. When I come home later today I'll take a closer look at everything else in the thread and see if there's anything else that sticks out.

I mostly pre-log because I make my lunch and dinner the night before and I usually make it from scratch. I don't have enough time to cook in the morning and by the time I get home i am too tired/hungry right now to make good choices :(
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    krp97 wrote: »

So out of curiosity I calculated my TDEE and mfp is giving me almost 300 calories less than I should be eating. How do I adjust that on mfp?

You go into the "goals" setting and choose manual instead of guided. They'll let you put in a specific number of calories instead of them doing the calculations.

Remember that MFP is at "x pounds per week" goal, where TDEE is a "TDEE - x%" goal. You'll probably lose at a different rate than you are now, but I'd rather eat a little more and lose a little more slowly, than eat less and be starving all the time and eventually give up. You need to do what's best for you in the long haul. With the TDEE method you have to keep your exercise schedule consistent or you will affect your rate of loss as well.

Also, remember that any calculator is an estimate based on population averages. You may have to mess around with your calorie goal to find what's right for you. I would start with TDEE - 20% or TDEE - 15% and try it for a month to see how it works. Then you can adjust by 100 calories up or down if your rate of loss isn't quite right. Remember any time you adjust you need to give it time to see if it works, at least a month.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Thanks SingRunTing -- good info...
  • krp97
    krp97 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

You go into the "goals" setting and choose manual instead of guided. They'll let you put in a specific number of calories instead of them doing the calculations.

Remember that MFP is at "x pounds per week" goal, where TDEE is a "TDEE - x%" goal. You'll probably lose at a different rate than you are now, but I'd rather eat a little more and lose a little more slowly, than eat less and be starving all the time and eventually give up. You need to do what's best for you in the long haul. With the TDEE method you have to keep your exercise schedule consistent or you will affect your rate of loss as well.

Also, remember that any calculator is an estimate based on population averages. You may have to mess around with your calorie goal to find what's right for you. I would start with TDEE - 20% or TDEE - 15% and try it for a month to see how it works. Then you can adjust by 100 calories up or down if your rate of loss isn't quite right. Remember any time you adjust you need to give it time to see if it works, at least a month.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be more consistent and try it for at least a month.

• lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I mostly pre-log because I make my lunch and dinner the night before and I usually make it from scratch. I don't have enough time to cook in the morning and by the time I get home i am too tired/hungry right now to make good choices :(

But it sounds like you end up going beyond your pre-logged amount more than you'd like, right? Could you put what you're making in to a meal or recipe while you're making it, and then just log that when you actually eat it? I'm no expert, but for me it's like pre-logging results in a false sense of security, like I've already completed the day the right way. That's when I'm most likely to eat extra beyond what I've logged. If it's different for you then I'm sure there's some other ways to help!
  • forevertoday
    Options
    lalepepper wrote: »

But it sounds like you end up going beyond your pre-logged amount more than you'd like, right? Could you put what you're making in to a meal or recipe while you're making it, and then just log that when you actually eat it? I'm no expert, but for me it's like pre-logging results in a false sense of security, like I've already completed the day the right way. That's when I'm most likely to eat extra beyond what I've logged. If it's different for you then I'm sure there's some other ways to help!

Yeah, when I get up and go to work I bring my lunch/snack which was pre logged the day before because I have no time to make it in morning and I eat it because if i don't it will go off in my locker, so it doesn't matter if those are pre logged because I am obligated to eat it or waste it. I sometimes prelog my dinner before I get home with my remaining calories, but that is never set in stone.
    I also live in New Zealand where it may look like I have logged way in advance lol
    The days I don't pre log are my days off

• theghostwalks
    theghostwalks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Love all the ideas for controlling night time binge eating. A trick I read about and have tried that works is brushing and flossing your teeth after dinner. Less likely to snack if you have to brush again before bed.