Why a plant-based whole foods diet? Tell us your story :)

Options
JacquiH73
JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
Welcome to the FOK Diet Support Group! This thread is for new members to introduce themselves.

Please tell us why you think the FOK diet is right for you ;)

Replies

• HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago I was in bed Googling a new eating lifestyle. I stumbled upon the term "nutritarian" and that was that. I haven't always been consistent, and things like "splurging" at Christmas has resulted in months of falling back to SAD ways. I'm thankful to say that I've been consistent over the last month and have given up processed sugar as of this year, which has really helped with keeping me committed.

I find watching movies like Forks Over Knives, anything with Dr. Fuhrman, or Dr. John MacDougall, etc. etc. really helps me stay focused and educated.

Transitioning to plant-based recipes was a challenge, but now it's old hat (and not as complicated as I had originally thought). I no longer try to make complicated lentil "meat" balls, I mostly live on bean/lentil veggies soups, green smoothies, salads, and some nutritarian treats (ex. black bean brownies!).

Why I think a plant-based whole foods diet is right for me is I think it's the easiest way to lose weight without starving, but most importantly it insures that I can live a disease free life as I get older, and I can feel great too!

When I eat this way, I feel happy and proud of myself for taking such good care of my mind and body. :smiley:
  • fullylugged
    fullylugged Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My wife asked me to read "The China Study." The correlation between diet and disease is astounding. I have to die sometime, but I want to run strong to the end. My wife because interested listening to Bill Clinton talk about diet changes he made following heart bypass surgery. She's taken the course at Cornell and been certified. She is however not on MFP. Yet. ;) I was previously on Atkins for 10 years. I lost 40 lb and kept it off. When i went vegan, I gained weight back. Now it's coming back off. And I feel pretty good most of the time too!
  • thisnursewillbehot
    thisnursewillbehot Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would really like to see an active FOK group....
    Is anyone still here???
  • TnVeggie
    TnVeggie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would really like to see an active FOK group....
    Is anyone still here???
    I was just thinking the same thing!

• nurselinda8
    nurselinda8 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Anybody still in this group??? Im a nurse committed to this eating plan for 23 days now and goal is to continue for at least a year then slowly introduce chicken/fish up to 2-3 times/week. Im excited to have lost 10 lbs already as well as decrease some of my diabetic med doses!!! Please post if you are still in this group. thanks : )
  • hnbrown628
    hnbrown628 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! Are any of you still in the FOK plan? My husband and I just began it this week.
  • _NicLovin_
    _NicLovin_ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi! I wanted to introduce myself to the group. I’m Nicole, 34 years old, and I recently adopted a WFPB low fat vegan WoE in order to support my health goals. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when I was 23. Two years ago, i was also diagnosed with metastatic thyroid cancer, and currently suffer from high triglycerides that have induced several bouts of pancreatitis. My diabetes medications have not been effective in managing my blood sugar, and I worked so hard to adopt the ADA diet per my endocrinologist’s recommendations. A little over two weeks ago, I decided to obtain all the literature and documentaries I could about managing health through nutrition. Needless to say, adopting a WFPB lifestyle is feeling like the best decision I’ve ever made. I’m just two weeks, my fasting blood sugars have dropped by 100 points. I’m still working on getting them down, and my goal is to reduce or eliminate my insulin and medications for cholesterol and triglycerides. ❤️