Charge HR and Swimming

Options
I took my Charge HR off for swimming and wore my regular heart strap and monitor. When I synced it later, it had put me as asleep for the time that I wasn't wearing it, and calculated that I'd burned 200 calories. I deleted this and manually added my swimming session.

I just wondered, am I doing it right? Should I be turning it off when I remove it, or should I press the stopwatch to record the time and manually add info later? Or should I just take it off without doing anything?

Replies

• Snoozypaws3000
    Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Glad you asked this as I have only had my HM for a few weeks and was wondering the best way around this.

What I've been doing is:_

Take the FB off - I leave it on - no stop watch or anything - and then I work out and record the calorie burn.
    I then manually add the BALANCE of calories from the FB figure and my swim onto MFP,

So for instance if I went for an hours swim and I burned 350 cals according to my HRM and chest band that would be the figure I need to have refelected on the daily dashboard for the period I had the band off of my wrist.

To get an accurate burn I just deduct the cals that FB had estimated I had burned while I wasn't wearing the band and add the balance.
    I think you can also adjust the time of the exercise on your dashboard to wipe out the "sleep" time if you are also trying to log your resting hours.

So in my case if I had burned 350 in the pool and FB calculated that I had "slept" 200 cals while resting, I simply put in the 150 cal balance as "Swimming" in the exercise field here on MFP to give you a total of 350 cals burned over the period I wasn't wearing my FitBit.

The cals worked out by FB when my band is off are just my resting burn which should be deduct from any exercise I record on my HRM anyway.

That seems to work for me anyway,

I also take my charger to the pool and ask the nice guy behind the desk if I can plug it in to charge while I'm swimming!
    Saves me having to leave it on charge overnight or at other inconvenient times.
    I know...So cheeky!

Be interesting to see if other people do it differently
    Sky x

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I took my Charge HR off for swimming and wore my regular heart strap and monitor. When I synced it later, it had put me as asleep for the time that I wasn't wearing it, and calculated that I'd burned 200 calories. I deleted this and manually added my swimming session.

I just wondered, am I doing it right? Should I be turning it off when I remove it, or should I press the stopwatch to record the time and manually add info later? Or should I just take it off without doing anything?

The activity timer is decent way of tracking the start and duration time of the workout you are going to manually enter with better stats, so that might be nice. But as you noticed, it thinks you are asleep then.

Then again, most HRM's do that anyway, so wasted battery leaving Fitbit on, might as well turn it off, and just manually log the better stats from the HRM, including start and duration time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Glad you asked this as I have only had my HM for a few weeks and was wondering the best way around this.

What I've been doing is:_

Take the FB off - I leave it on - no stop watch or anything - and then I work out and record the calorie burn.
    I then manually add the BALANCE of calories from the FB figure and my swim onto MFP,

So for instance if I went for an hours swim and I burned 350 cals according to my HRM and chest band that would be the figure I need to have refelected on the daily dashboard for the period I had the band off of my wrist.

To get an accurate burn I just deduct the cals that FB had estimated I had burned while I wasn't wearing the band and add the balance.
    I think you can also adjust the time of the exercise on your dashboard to wipe out the "sleep" time if you are also trying to log your resting hours.

So in my case if I had burned 350 in the pool and FB calculated that I had "slept" 200 cals while resting, I simply put in the 150 cal balance as "Swimming" in the exercise field here on MFP to give you a total of 350 cals burned over the period I wasn't wearing my FitBit.

The cals worked out by FB when my band is off are just my resting burn which should be deduct from any exercise I record on my HRM anyway.

That seems to work for me anyway,

I also take my charger to the pool and ask the nice guy behind the desk if I can plug it in to charge while I'm swimming!
    Saves me having to leave it on charge overnight or at other inconvenient times.
    I know...So cheeky!

Be interesting to see if other people do it differently
    Sky x

You are doing way too much.

Your HRM is already doing exactly what Fitbit and any database entry is doing for caloies burn.

Calories burned during that time including the at rest calories.

You manually log a workout, it replaces _everything_ Fitbit estimated during that start and duration time.

So just log it - all that math you are doing is not helpful or actually not correct either.

Because your 150 manually logged workout _replaced_ the 200, it did not get added to it.

The activity record will still be there showing 200, but it's not in your daily count as soon as your logged the workout manually.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one figuring this out :-)