*WEEK 8 TUESDAY

9 His disciples asked him what this parable meant. 10 He replied, “You are permitted to understand the secrets of the Kingdom of God. But I use parables to teach the others so that the Scriptures might be fulfilled:

‘When they look, they won’t really see.
When they hear, they won’t understand.’

11 “This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is God’s word. 12 The seeds that fell on the footpath represent those who hear the message, only to have the devil come and take it away from their hearts and prevent them from believing and being saved. 13 The seeds on the rocky soil represent those who hear the message and receive it with joy. But since they don’t have deep roots, they believe for a while, then they fall away when they face temptation. 14 The seeds that fell among the thorns represent those who hear the message, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the cares and riches and pleasures of this life. And so they never grow into maturity. 15 And the seeds that fell on the good soil represent honest, good-hearted people who hear God’s word, cling to it, and patiently produce a huge harvest.

16 “No one lights a lamp and then covers it with a bowl or hides it under a bed. A lamp is placed on a stand, where its light can be seen by all who enter the house. 17 For all that is secret will eventually be brought into the open, and everything that is concealed will be brought to light and made known to all.

18 “So pay attention to how you hear. To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what they think they understand will be taken away from them.”

Replies

• MrsLarCat
    MrsLarCat Posts: 118
    Lord, please help me to hear and understand your word. I pray that your word enriches me and grows root in me - please keep me consistent and grow a desire in me for you. Guide me and keep me from temptation and distraction, Lord. Forgive my sins. Amen.
  • flowergirl45
    flowergirl45 Posts: 47 Member
    Dear God,
    Thank you for your Word, the seed! It shows us how we can have our sins forgiven and be made right before a Holy and Righteous God. Help me to make your Word known to others and to hear your Word and do it. May it encourage me when I need encouragement and convict me when I need conviction. After hearing your Word, help me to hide your Word in my heart that I might not sin against you. May my life be fruitful as you guide me in the works you have prepared for me to do.
    In Jesus name, Amen.
  • kimbershep
    kimbershep Posts: 72
    OBSERVATION
    If someone is speaking but not really listening totally, they have a great chance of not hearing you or understanding. As a cross reference in Isaiah 6:9 - people can hear without truly understanding and also see without perceiving. He wanted to make sure that those who were not in line with Him (outsiders) would not understand so that the Scriptures might be fulfilled.

There are different kinds of people in which Jesus was describing: hard path - those who refused to believe, rocky soil - those who followed Jesus and believed in His message but their minds were only there for that moment and never did anything about it (almost like Sunday only Christians), thorny ground - people who hears the Word and accept it but are lured back into the cares of this world and its materialistic things, and then there is the good soil - people that were open vessels, ready to be used by God at any cost. These were like TRUE SOLDIERS.

When we sit under teaching and learn the Word of God or even study on our own, we should not keep it to ourselves but share it. This is why I love this online bible study because you are meeting people every day; even those who might only read posts but don't respond. You've planted a seed just by things that you've said. It is up to them how they take it and what they do with it.

APPLICATION
    Heavenly Father, help me to hold out and continue to plant seeds. I pray for continued wisdom and understanding. In the name of Jesus, Amen.