Women Doing Pull-Ups

AndiJH
AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
Looking for some motivation/tips/others who are looking to do real pull-ups (palms out).
Started this goal about a year ago, and have plateaued in my training...
Stats: 24yrs, 5'6", 119lbs.
My biggest problem is equipment. The "bar" in my gym is actually the hand grips at the top of an 8ft cable machine...so I have to jump just to reach the handles (only one bench in the gym, so I usually can't use it as a step stool). I can't quite get past that halfway point in my arm bend. Sometimes my bf literally stands below me and helps push me up by my feet so I can make it to the top of the rep. I can do 2-3 with his help.
I also do lat pull-downs on a cable machine (60lbs), and bent-over rows with 20-25lbs free weights.
Anybody have tips/other exercises they do?
Or, would anybody like to join my goal of doing real pull-ups by the end of the year?

Replies

• Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    Hi AndiJH. I am with you on this goal. I'll send you a friend request.
  • sourpower434
    sourpower434 Posts: 47 Member
    Hi, I'm 32, 5'3" 114lbs, and can do 1-2 real pull-ups by myself, but have the goal of increasing to at least 5 by the end of the year. I'm fortunate that my gym has an assisted pull up machine so that helped me in the beginning. Try doing "negative" pull-ups...have your boyfriend lift you up to the top of the bar, and SLOWLY lower yourself back down to hanging position.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    I would LOVE to be able to do this, I'm in! My gym has an assisted pull-up machine too so I will start hitting that.