Mountain Bikes...

Options
dolcezza72
dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
Looking to buy a MTN bike this spring... point me in the right direction, if you would. Any tips on brands, or what to avoid?

Thank you!
Heather

Replies

• veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Heather, it kind of depends on what kind of riding you want to do.

If you are looking at doing mostly non technical, fast flowing single track or double track, fire roads etc, then a hardtail bike (front suspension only) would be fine. Heck even some of the new all-road bikes like the GT Grade, Specialized Diverge etc would do the trick.

If however you are going to be doing mostly very technical trails with lots of rock gardens, jumps etc, then a full suspension bike may be the answer.

Of course if you are going to get rad and do downhilling, there's a bike for that too ;)

Describe your riding plans and I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What type of riding are you going to be doing? Dirt/gravel roads? smooth, groomed trails? rough, rooty, rocky trails? What's your budget?

Speaking VERY generally, you can't go wrong with one of the big brands - Trek, Specialized, Cannondale or Giant. Department store bikes can be fine depending on the riding you do, you'll just want to make sure it's properly assembled. There can be some good deals on used bikes if you're patient and know what you're looking for.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    What type of riding are you going to be doing? Dirt/gravel roads? smooth, groomed trails? rough, rooty, rocky trails? What's your budget?

Speaking VERY generally, you can't go wrong with one of the big brands - Trek, Specialized, Cannondale or Giant. There can be some good deals on used bikes if you're patient and know what you're looking for.

This. There are a LOT of good deals to be found on used if you've got someone who can help you pick something.

How tall are you? Women specific bikes are generally better for short women but not necessarily needed for anyone above... I don't know 5'5". I don't have one at 5'9".

You'll get more for your money with a hard tail but again it depends on the planned terrain. If it's too rocky you'll be miserable.

I really like my Scott Spark but like Jackson said, the big ones are good, I've heard really good things about Giant. Their women's brand is LIV. Julianna also makes nice women's bike.
  • handymano
    Options
    I am getting a new mountain bike delivered tomorrow. Santa Cruz superlight. Got it from ebay.