New to the group

kia_runs
kia_runs Posts: 77 Member
I am a vegetarian training for marathon #4 in April. I am interested in first: going sub-5 hours then BQ in 2 years. I'm curious if there are other no-meat athletes and looking for ideas of increasing mileage, losing weight and protein sources. My diary is open. Look forward to sharing with you!

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    kia_runs wrote: »
    I am a vegetarian training for marathon #4 in April. I am interested in first: going sub-5 hours then BQ in 2 years.
    Well, it's not like you have a choice on the order. You kind of have to do the sub 5:00 before you can BQ(3:45). LOL

looking for ideas of increasing mileage,
    Run more? More days and increased distances? Find a workout plan. Kick yourself out of bed in the morning, etc. What's your current MPW?

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I would recommend eating enough calories for marathon training. Which you are not.

Under-fueling your training is counter-productive to your goals.
  • christyprunner
    christyprunner Posts: 70 Member
    Looking forward to following your progress...I usually run a 4;50 marathon but would love to get 30-40 lbs off and BQ one day as well. I am not no-meat but am trying to be more plant strong!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    I would recommend eating enough calories for marathon training. Which you are not.

I initially thought this comment was pretty harsh, but looking at the past week of your diary I agree. 1200 calories a day is not going to cut it if you are serious about running a good marathon. When I am in a training cycle I burn almost that much on a weekday. If you haven't done so I suggest getting a copy of Scott Jurek's book, there are some good recipes in there to help you get what you need.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member

I initially thought this comment was pretty harsh, but looking at the past week of your diary I agree. 1200 calories a day is not going to cut it if you are serious about running a good marathon. When I am in a training cycle I burn almost that much on a weekday. If you haven't done so I suggest getting a copy of Scott Jurek's book, there are some good recipes in there to help you get what you need.

I also thought it was harsh... But yeah, I third the idea of needing more food to support training and recover well.
  • kia_runs
    kia_runs Posts: 77 Member
    edited February 2015
    Thanks. I will look into adding more calaories. I am just so worried about gaining the pounds I finally lost. I have been running about 30-35 miles per week. After reading your comments I realize that I am not running enough. Even though the comment sounded harsh it made a point. That's why I joined this group...to learn and get better. I want to improve but need to learn where to start from people who are where I want to be. Thanks!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Thanks. I will look into adding more calaories. I am just so worried about gaining the pounds I finally lost. I have been running about 30-35 miles per week. After reading your comments I realize that I am not running enough. Even though the comment sounded harsh it made a point. That's why I joined this group...to learn and get better. I want to improve but need to learn where to start from people who are where I want to be. Thanks!

I was doing 40 - 50 and I'm increasing mine (after this deloading week) up to the 50 - 60 range per week. All I really need to do is add in another easy run on one of the two days I currently don't run.

Great advice around here for sure. I read pretty much all the discussions even if I don't comment on all of them.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member

Just jumping in to say that I love your attitude! It assures me that you will do very well in reaching your goals.