Shed Hunting?

Options
trackercasey76
trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
Anyone ever get out and look for sheds? I have only ever found one and that was purely an accident. I might try to get out and find some as soon as the snow melts because I know of at least 5 bucks that made it through season in my area.

Replies

• hunter1025
    hunter1025 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have only found them by accident also. Mostly when I start scouting for spring turkey. I have found around 10 or so over the years. One of my buddies friends shed hunts and finds 30-40 a year.
  • trackercasey76
    Options
    There is a guy on the Missouriwhitetails.com forum that finds HUNDREDS every year...It is unreal!
  • hunter1025
    hunter1025 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Some guys just have a knack for it. There's a shed hunting club my buddy belongs to and some train dogs to find sheds.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I haven't yet but I plan on training my dogs this year to do it. I have a lab who is a pheasant/grouse and duck hunting dog (I may not train my lab because I don't want her chasing deer in the fall when we are bird hunting) and a hound that has a great nose. I hike and snowshoe all winter long with them so I figure if they can find some sheds when we are out it will be worth the time training them.
  • trackercasey76
    Options
    A good shed dog would be fun!
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Found a moose skull in Vermont this year, does that count? Found one shed by accident a couple of years ago.