Feeling sick after long runs..

Options
2»

Replies

• nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I get stomach aches sometimes during and after running. I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with what I eat or drink before I run. Like for me I noticed that too much coffee or milk tends to make me sick if I go running right after. I do best with oatmeal or a bagel and waiting at least an hour to run after.
  • samrunsfast
    samrunsfast Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, Thank you so much for all of this great advice! I'm happy to report that I ran 11 miles this morning and I feel fantastic. I'm at work on my lunch break as I type this. I did the following:

-drank more water during the week because I know I am bad at drinking enough
    -Kept up with my running schedule during the week
    -Drank Nuun during the run and after
    -Fueled with Cliff Gels. One before the run and one an hour into the run.

Also after the run I showered immediately and ate a peanut butter sandwich before work. I think the Nuun and Gels helped the most. Hopefully I never feel ill again after a long run. I'm so excited to feel better after 11 miles. Next week is 12!!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    awesome
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I tend to feel a little feverish the evening after a long run. I figure that's just my body repairing itself, but I can't say it's especially pleasant.

Dry clothes ASAP is so important. Also, what if you tried a different breakfast? I eat things I don't normally eat before long runs, like white toast and orange juice, because the simple carbs work way better for me. YMMV of course but it might be worth a try.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, Thank you so much for all of this great advice! I'm happy to report that I ran 11 miles this morning and I feel fantastic. I'm at work on my lunch break as I type this. I did the following:

Also after the run I showered immediately and ate a peanut butter sandwich before work. I think the Nuun and Gels helped the most. Hopefully I never feel ill again after a long run. I'm so excited to feel better after 11 miles. Next week is 12!!

So glad that this run went better! Good luck with your 12 next week! :)
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Awesome! I am happy to hear that your run went so well!