Inositol questions/poll

Options
Dearest ladies who take this supplement -

Are you taking myo-inositol or d-chiro-inositol?

Are you using pills or powder?

How much are you taking and how often?

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being best), how would you rate the effectiveness of this for you?

Thank you so much for helping me!!

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    LOL this is a good question actually. Dragonwolf is MUCH more informed than me about this so hope she chimes in here for you. But

I take Myo-inositol because it is much much cheaper. D-chiro-inositol is much much more expensive no matter where i try to buy it. The myo works just as well IMO but you often need to take a little more of it than the D.

I use powder because I can tweak my dose as needed. I have links on another thread here in this group for the two ive tried. I take 1 full packed teaspoon twice a day, it is about 3g each teaspoon for a total of 6g a day.

Id give it an 8. Ive seen my armpits lighten, my hair loss slow, my periods are tolerable now, no overflowing, no clotting, no 8 days long. I also got pregnant while on it even tho we werent trying, altho i had a miscarriage due to high progesterone, which inositol doesnt much help.

Inositol helps with the insulin response. I take metformin too, but all of the above was much more significant after adding inositol, so i actually think for me it does more than the Met does. I know dragonwolf only takes Inositol and not Met for her insulin issues. But inositol can help ovarian function and egg quality if you are looking for that also.

I take Vitex to help balance my hormones, which has been most awesome in that regard. Got myself fairly balanced now, just dealing with carb/insulin/weight issues instead of a huge problem with hormones on top of it all.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Dearest ladies who take this supplement -

Are you taking myo-inositol or d-chiro-inositol?

Are you using pills or powder?

How much are you taking and how often?

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being best), how would you rate the effectiveness of this for you?

Thank you so much for helping me!!

I take Myo. Like Alliwan said, it's cheaper (I've also found it easier to find) than D-Chiro, even accounting for the difference in dose needs with it.

I use the powder, since both my husband and I take 12g (for the neurological benefits), so it's cheaper to get the powder than to take fifty pills a day. I take it once a day at bed time.

I'd give it a 7 or 8. It's given me my period back, and I've been pretty consistent since starting it. It's hard telling, though, if it's helped my glucose/insulin, though, since I'm having ongoing issues, the source of which I've been unable to pin down (I was having increasing issue even on Metformin, before starting Inositol). I'm also not trying to conceive, so I can't personally speak to egg quality.

It doesn't have any major side effects, and is safe up to even very high doses (therapeutic dose for neurological issues is 12-18g, and even at those levels, no side effects are reported), so it's definitely worth trying out for a month or two. I get Jarrow brand from Amazon.com. It's like $15 for a half-pound container, which lasts us around 3 weeks, so should last an individual more than a month.
  • ShrinkingBerry
    ShrinkingBerry Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Very helpful! Thank you!!
  • sansan007
    sansan007 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow I am thinking of taking DCI and this was really helpful
  • stefne888
    stefne888 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Are you taking myo-inositol or d-chiro-inositol? I take Myo.

Are you using pills or powder? I use the Jarrow powder on Amazon.

How much are you taking and how often? 1/4 tsp in the am.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being best), how would you rate the effectiveness of this for you? 8 bc it does everything Metformin did for me without the side effects. Only downside is I sometimes have heart burn for some reason when I take