Logging Crossfit

Options
I know that a HRM is the obvious choice when logging calories but for those of us that do not have a HRM, what do you log your Crossfit as? I've been logging it as aerobics/high impact.

Any input is appreciated.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    This is my opinion on the issue of calorie counts, take it for what it’s worth.

Calories in and calories out is all just an estimate. So don’t lose any hair trying to get to some “accurate” number. Plug something based on perceived effort and time. After a few weeks of measuring and weighing yourself, you can tweak it if need be.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I know that a HRM is the obvious choice when logging calories but for those of us that do not have a HRM, what do you log your Crossfit as? I've been logging it as aerobics/high impact.

Any input is appreciated.

I found the exercise database entry for "calisthenics" and used the same value to create my own diary setting for "CrossFit."
  • motherofdragons84
    motherofdragons84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I feel like calories are kind of irrelevant for me right now. I'm just trying to eat enough whole foods. Cut out the processed junk. I'm having a hard time eating my 1800 calories a day plus.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Only thing I'd add is eat a bit more carbs (maybe and extra 100-150 grams) on heavy work days and eat less on rest days. My target is near 3000 and if I'm eating strict Paleo it's impossible to eat those extra carbs. I just eat some rice or quinoa to make up the difference. Or a couple of bagels.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise calories anymore. I'm now only using MFP as a place to plan food a day or two in advance and track macros.

I've been doing Eat To Perform for about a week.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm getting rolling this week as well. Need to get better on logging though.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I generally log it as circuit training and only count the actual time I'm doing work in the WOD + our warmup. Usually I get between 15-25 minutes, which can be 200-300 cals for me.
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have started logging as 1 calorie whatever I do and just eating to my TDEE which includes activity (minus my weight loss plan).