How many calories do you eat?

Options

Replies

• liz1531
    liz1531 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've always felt hungry post op and acid reducing rx from doc didn't help. I eat 1100 - 1400 at 6 months but my doc wants me at 800. I'm just way too hungry for that low of calories.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted that!!
    liz1531 wrote: »
    I've always felt hungry post op and acid reducing rx from doc didn't help. I eat 1100 - 1400 at 6 months but my doc wants me at 800. I'm just way too hungry for that low of calories.
    I was beginning to think that there was something wrong with me because I feel hungry (and meds don't do a thing about that) and I am finding that I need to eat more calories lately. I lose weight very slowly and stall often but I will take it --- still at my lowest weight since having kids! :smile:

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • mycatsnameisbug
    mycatsnameisbug Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    About 5 weeks out and about 800 cals. Almost all protein. Nut wants me to be at 1000 and 60-80 G protein in whole foods (no shakes or bars) eventually... She has me at 6 small meals a day (100-150 cal each) which def helps with energy and hunger. Long term goal is endurance training so that may be why she's bumping the cals so early
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am about a year and a half post-surgery, 208 lbs down total, and I would like to lose about 20 more. I eat between 900-1200 calories depending on the day, but I seem to lose better at about 900-1000. I also exercise about 6 times a week and work with a trainer. I don't eat back my exercise calories at this point, mainly because I burn anywhere from 500-900 calories when I work out, and physically I can't stuff that much more food into my poor little stomach! I still try to experiment with upping my calories and lowering them to see what might help to give me a push to lose the last 20. My surgeon said I might hit a wall at this stage, which maybe I have?
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am about 6 months out and eating 1000-1200 per day. I am down 170-ish and about 5-8 pounds from goal, so I am slowly increasing calories toward finding a maintenance level (which I expect to be 1500-1750) over the next few months. I exercise 3ish times per week and am trying to spend more time doing strength rather than cardio.

Rob
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I haven't figured up my calories ever. I just eat what they tell me. 2 oz of protein 3 times a day, 2 oz of carbs 1 time a day, 1 oz of veggies a day, 1 oz of fruits a day. I also wat a 1oz protein or fruit snack between meals. I'm 6 months out ans have lose 65 lbs so far. I'm also never hungry which is a good thing for me. I just make sure I have my meals 3 times a day like I should.
  • lbrown1428
    lbrown1428 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I also exercise at least 5 times a week.
  • TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am at 1200 calories a day. I have not had surgery yet.
  • rdlhuskers
    rdlhuskers Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the sleeve surgery April 7, 2015 day before my birthday and I know all to well it is a tool. I picked this day to start my year out GREAT! I thank everyone for all the comments. They have been helpful. I was told my calories should never be more than 1000 and then will be when I am on the Bariatric 5 diet and will be eating foods not drinking them in protein mixes.
  • amylhatch5
    amylhatch5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm a little over 5 months out. Down 80lbs. 40-60lbs away from goal. My dr says 1000-1200 a day. I do go over some days and under others.
  • Sammers48220
    Sammers48220 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    After reading all of these I feel like I don't eat very much! I'll be 7 weeks out tomorrow and most days I really struggle to hit 700/750. If left to my own devices, I was only getting about 450 a day. But I hit a small stall and decided to up my calories (it worked, 6 lbs down in one week!) I will say, though, that I still do feel actual hunger. I have since day one, pretty much. I just get full REALLY fast.
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am only 3 weeks out and I stuggle to get 400 in :(
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 3.5 years out and because of a stall that's been going on since September I finally upped my calories to 1,200. Still stalled and struggling most days to get 1,200.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm 9 months out and I eat 1000-1500 depending
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Regarding hunger….first thing is reflux and ppi. If you're not taking one, probably need to. If you are, may still need to explore with your surgeon if need different one or higher dose. If its not reflux and actually is hunger feeling well….So, they remove the majority of grehlin producing part of our stomach but not in entirety, its also produced in a part of your small intestine. I think, but I'm not sure, that you may also regenerate some of these hormone producing areas (can't think of the right terminology). So, while it is an effective tool early on, it is not necessarily a permanent one.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There's "need food" hunger (empty stomach) and "want food" hunger (hormonal). The ghrellin hunger does come back after 6-9 months. After that the only help from surgery is getting full faster - but that's still a huge help. [There's also psychological stuff, like the momentum from the initial weight loss; and the fear of blowing this opportunity.]

If people are not getting enough calories, what kinds of food are you eating? Protein often has fat (we need good fat to process vitamins) which can have more calories, but protein is such a good source of calories.

I'm 22 months out (62 yrs old 5'9" 145# ) - VSG was June 2013.

I ate around 600 for the first several months, then ate as little as I could, but found my body dictated what that was. It gradually went up to 900. I hit stalls several times, but they resolved, sometimes I just needed bran... Eating small meals, or liquid-only, seemed to help keep my stomach small. Protein shakes provided energy. Staying away from junk food helped avoid cravings.

I fill up with good food & vitamins so my body doesn't crave nutrition (lots of protein for energy and lots of water) and stay away from processed foods (my trigger foods). I love veggies (savory) and fruit (sweets) and carbs (beans, rice, oats, potatoes, whole grains) help process the food. I don't miss the other stuff anymore.

I have lost 100% of my excess weight and just increased my calories to 1380 (per MFP's recommendation) to stop losing weight now. I'm also going to start eating back my exercise calories.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    1000-1200 while losing not eating back exercise cals. Now in maint about 10 months 1350ish eating back exercise some of the time. I don't log food anymore (unless I drift outside my maint zone which isn't often), so it's kind of hard to know.
  • mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I ask my NUT at support group last night. Initially after surgery her goal is for patients to eat 500-600 per day. At 4.5 months, where I am, she said 700-800. Eventually she wants people to get to 1200 to maintain. She broke it down as three 200 calorie meal and two 100 or less snacks for where I am post op.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I am almost a year out and I eat 850 - 900 calories a day, I workout daily and burn 500 to 1000 calories dependent on the workouts. I don't get really hungry unless it is time to eat! And very little food will fill me up. I am down 104 pounds in a year and want to lose 13 more. I see my doctor on April 17th my surgiversary. I will see what he says about adding food. Exercise keeps hunger down, I don't know why but the more I exercise the less hungry I am, but I eat as I know I need protein.