If you got faster by going slower... (HR training)

Options
124»

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Well I'm not trying for the Olympic team, lol!!!! But I'm presently trying to decide whether to try to run a marathon or not (would be my first, and possibly only race). Registration just started and the race is in November (I only re-started running in January, after 3-5mo break for achilles problems).
    Sounds just like me. My first attempt I ended up dropping out of because my achilles was bothering me. Funny thing is that they ended up cancelling the race due to ice so I didn't have a choice.

I did my first marathon in December this last year. I loved the experience but those last 4 miles kicked me straight in the teeth. My quads were just flat out shot. Gone. Finished around mile 22. Part of that was me babying my achilles. The injury flared up again after doing a Tough Mudder a couple months before the race.

First half I clocked in at 2:03. It felt easy. A 2 hour half isn't a big deal for me at all so I thought I was going to coast in on about a 4:10 time. I ended up with a 4:32 chip time. When the energy is gone. It's gone and it doesn't come back. I ran/walked the last few miles. It wasn't a total loss. I learned a lot actually. My decision to drink Gatorade was stupid. I didn't drink that in training. It messed with my stomach a bit in the race and I didn't feel like taking gels. It was hot and humid and I got a bit dehydrated. Drink more water. Orange slices taste and make me feel so much better. I'd never tried them but I liked it.

I have another race April 4th. I've added in a lot more easy miles this time. I've been over 50 MPW the last couple weeks and pretty close to that before. I could tell a huge difference on my 20 mile run this last weekend. HUGE. I had so much energy left at the end and my legs felt fantastic. I've been doing some 15 mile long runs on a course that has 3 nasty hills. I'm not even tempted to walk the hills now.

If you can wait till you can do a 2 hour (or close) half you'll have a much better experience. How to get there? Add in miles to your training. Lots of miles. Do that and your speed will improve for sure.

Thank you so much! This post has been very helpful! I think about all these different things. My longest run so far is ~14mi, fasted, slow aerobic run, water only (and even water was limited due to "issues" ;-) ) and it was pretty rough on me towards the end. By end of Feb, I was getting 40mpw until my husband had to travel for two weeks, and well, no weekend babysitter reduced my mileage, but he's back now and I want to go back up to 40 and soon to 50. After 50mpw, I *have* to get faster because I just don't have that kind of time to dedicate!! lol, but true! I think you've given me a good idea of what to shoot for, and I have a feeling that by the time I get my first 20mi weekend run (!), I'll know when or if I'll be ready.
    Thanks!

I think, it can't hurt to train as if I'm going to go for it and then see how it goes. If I don't do it this year, as long as I play it smart & don't get injured, by next year I'll be "double-ready" (haha, is that even a thing?).

Important to note, and returning to the subject of the post, I'm still aiming to do aerobic runs until end of March (although occasionally smthg happens and I end up running higher than aerobic threshold, but not often and not planned). Starting in April, I'll make it 80/20. Still seeing some improvement, seems to register about every 4wks a recognizable improvement in pace, but I feel like I've forgotten how to run faster and I definitely need to get serious about strength training to support running (slacked off it during this aerobic-only phase, oops).

Thanks for all the replies on this thread!