Options
2»

Replies

• k_perlinger
    k_perlinger Posts: 55 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    hskriver wrote: »
    Honestly I don't know how people find the time to do both. Perhaps I'm just not as dedicated as the average runner. I considered implementing lifting into my run schedule and after the 1st workout I could barely move for the next three days, let alone finish out 20+ more miles. Side note, I also play volleyball one - two times per week which also makes it hard for me to balance lifting and running. My trainer doesn't understand the concept of "easing into it." I'm trying to avoid him this week, but it's been nearly impossible :wink: Last week I didn't lift and managed 35 miles 3 weeks in to HM training. This week I'm at 20 with a goal of 39. Tonight is volleyball, followed by lifting and tomorrow more volleyball and more running. Right now I'm not sure how to balance the lifting while still getting the miles in, those are my priority.

It can be really challenging to get started with lifting initially because of the soreness. However, the soreness will go down with time. There are also ways to help reduce the soreness when you first started. For instance, if you are starting a program that calls for 4 sets of each lift, then start out only doing 2 sets for a few weeks. Once you are accustomed to that, add in a 3rd set and then add the 4th once you adjust to 3. Additionally, lifting more often will help with the soreness because you're body adjusts to that workload.

I definitely understand the timing challenge though. I currently run 30-35 mpw and that will only be increasing as I get closer to my marathon. I think I'm able to maintain this volume of training because I built lifting into my routine when my mileage was lower and it's just normal for me now. Perhaps try working with your trainer to develop a bodyweight only routine that you could do in 20 minutes or so a few times a week at home? This could help you begin building it into your routine without adding too much extra time. It could even help reduce the soreness.

When I'm not training it seems to be a lot easier to balance. If I only end up with 25-30 miles it doesn't bother me. I think a 20-30 minute lifting session is just what I need right now. I can't be all in off the bat, just not in that kind of shape at the moment. My little gym has strength bootcamp Monday and Wednesday and cardio the others. I've thought about dropping the trainer for the strength days instead. I also have two under the age of 6 at home which as you all know I'm sure makes the balance more difficult. I do think however you can work it in strength training is important. I've always felt like a stronger runner when I can incorporate it in.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Currently just trying to at least get one day in a week:

Squats (3 sets of 6-8)
    Lunge with twist (3 sets 12-15)
    Shoulder press (3 sets 6-8)
    Deadlifts (3 sets 6-8)
    Lat pulls (3 sets 6-8)

Then a core routine with:
    Crunches
    Superman hold
    Superman lift ups
    Plank
    Side plank
    Supine plank
    Some myrtle routine stuff

Took these sets from pfitz's new book.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Yup! I do lift, but definitely not with any seriousness. ;) I do believe that it's important to keep up my strength, so I try to incorporate some form of strength training 1-3 times per week (depending on the day).

After today's 40-min tempo run, for instance - I did:

15 Thrusters (just used 35 lb barbell)
    15 Slamball
    15 burpees
    10 Thrusters
    10 Slamball
    10 burpees
    5 thrusters
    5 slamball
    5 burpee

I also love anything in plank (renegade rows are my current favorite!) and I've been working up to unassisted pull-ups (I'm super close!!).

Do I love weight lifting? Nope; hate it. I just know it's good for me so I get 'er done!
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I don't really "lift", but I do bodyweight exercises. I would highly recommend them :smile:
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I lift and lift heavy. I recommend all runners lift. It will help performance and, more importantly, help prevent common injuries!
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yup 2x per week plus core work and PT stuff (for hip strength):

Roughly what Tuesdays look like. Thursday I do less leg stuff. Post HM, I will probably cut a running day and increase strength. Maybe.

Incline Press 3 x 8 at 55 lbs
    One arm rows 3 x 8 at 40lbs
    15 Tricep dips x 3
    15 Leg lifts x 3
    10 single glute bridge x 3 (each leg)
    10 bench crunches x 3
    Planks (side and normal)
    Pistol Squats 3 x 8 (was doing weights but took those away because I wasn't able to accurately hold the position)
    Single leg deadlifts 3 x 8 at 50lbs (25 in each hand)
    Hammer curls 3 x 8 at 15lbs
    Flies 3 x 8 at 20 lbs

The weights are pretty heavy for me. I haven't been able to increase for awhile, but I just want to maintain. I've enjoyed some increased upper body strength and more toned arms, but I also run 4-5 days a week and enjoy that more :)

I highly recommend the single leg exercises for balance and strength.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't know how people find the time to do both. Perhaps I'm just not as dedicated as the average runner. I considered implementing lifting into my run schedule and after the 1st workout I could barely move for the next three days, let alone finish out 20+ more miles. Side note, I also play volleyball one - two times per week which also makes it hard for me to balance lifting and running. My trainer doesn't understand the concept of "easing into it." I'm trying to avoid him this week, but it's been nearly impossible :wink: Last week I didn't lift and managed 35 miles 3 weeks in to HM training. This week I'm at 20 with a goal of 39. Tonight is volleyball, followed by lifting and tomorrow more volleyball and more running. Right now I'm not sure how to balance the lifting while still getting the miles in, those are my priority.

omg this. I had the best intentions when I started my HM training of lifting 2X per week. I did it once, could BARELY finish my super-short and easy run the next day and said nope. The most I did outside of running 3X per week was go to a dance class on Mondays. I also just figured I wasn't as dedicated as everything else. I already felt like my life revolved around my training enough!

My next HM is in October so my plan over the next few months is to run 2X per week to get a base going (I haven't been running due to an injury), lift 2X per week, and spin when I can because I love it. Hopefully by the time I start my training program I won't have the DOMS issue and I can continue lifting.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me I need to decide on a program already and start lifting
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do both.

I priotize my lifting as I am trying to get on the powerlifting platform next winter. I follow 5/3/1, and add accessory work for my weak parts.

I run Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri on my lunch break. 3-4 miles. Saturday is long run. I don't run Wednesdays because that's leg day and I need my legs fresh.

This routine has worked out great for me, and when I'm in my groove and at my fittest, I HAVE to work out twice a day just to get the edge off my energy.

I also don't get sore anymore. I've been on this routine a little over a year now.

Also, I'm not a competitive runner....in fact I'm pretty slow. Someone who is prioritizing running and trying to get faster probably wouldn't be able to keep up with my lifting schedule. But I'm completely content to just chip away at the miles and earn the pretty medals. :smile: