Crossfit Open 2015: 15.1

Options
bostonwolf
bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
Workout 15.1 Variations

Rx’d
(Rx’d Men, Masters Men 40-44, Masters Men 45-49, Masters Men 50-54, Rx’d Women, Masters Women 40-44, Masters Women 45-49, Masters Women 50-54)
Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 9 minutes of:
15 toes-to-bars
10 deadlifts (115 / 75 lb.)
5 snatches (115 / 75 lb.)

Scaled
(Scaled Men, Scaled Masters Men 40-44, Scaled Masters Men 45-49, Scaled Masters Men 50-54, Scaled Women, Scaled Masters Women 40-44, Scaled Masters Women 45-49, Scaled Masters Women 50-54)
15 hanging knee raises
10 deadlifts (85 / 55 lb.)
5 snatches* (85 / 55 lb.)
*ground-to-overhead allowed

Masters
(Masters Men 55-59, Masters Men 60+, Masters Women 55-59, Masters Women 60+)
15 toes-to-bars
5 snatches (85 / 55 lb.)

Masters Scaled
(Scaled Masters Men 55-59, Scaled Masters Men 60+, Scaled Masters Women 55-59, Scaled Masters Women 60+)
15 sit-ups
10 deadlifts (65 / 45 lb.)
5 snatches* (65 / 45 lb.)

Teens
(Teen Boys 14-15, Teen Boys 16-17, Teen Girls 14-15, Teen Girls 16-17)
15 toes-to-bars
5 snatches (85 / 55 lb.)

Teens Scaled
(Scaled Teen Boys 14-15, Scaled Teen Boys 16-17, Scaled Teen Girls 14-15, Scaled Teen Girls 16-17)
15 hanging knee raises
10 deadlifts (65 / 45 lb.)
5 snatches* (65 / 45 lb.)

Workout 15.1a
(All Divisions)
1-rep-max clean and jerk
6-minute time cap

Replies

• bostonwolf
    Options
    Thoughts: I think this is a pretty damned cool workout, one I could see myself doing again. I have a feeling a lot of boxes will use this as part of the regular programming going forward.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Just posted the same thread...LOL GMTA

Agree its a reasonable WOD for #1, though i am still against the whole scaling thing to collect an extra $20 from people. knee raises from a judging standpoint feel vague.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Not really. Dead hang to knees above hip. Not vague at all to judge. In fact, easier than judging a T2B
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I like the scaled division, because I'm not entering the games to become champion. I want to see how I do, then have a baseline for comparison next year. It's like a mudrun, right? I pay the $20 and run the race, because it's fun, not because I expect to win.

Crossfit is somewhat unique in the world of open sports because there are so many varied movements and ALOT of people can't do them all at a competitive level. I, for example, can do the deadlifts and the snatches, but If I tried the TTB I might not even make a single-round, much less two or three. . . It wouldn't even be worth it for me enter. (I'm re-thinking my decision to enter as it is, but mostly because Dave Castro is a poopie-diaper-head).

( edited b/c mfp wont let me call Dave Castro a *******)
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    And one more thing. . There's no way my box (or probably any box) programs a one-rep-max C&J after a 9 minute WOD. . no way. .
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I went Rx on this one. T2B gassed me after the the first round. Deadlifts were like speed dating at 1/3 my 5 RM, the snatches were not so bad, other than grip becoming a risk.

I PR’d my C&J by 20lbs, but that’s not a biggie since I’m just now learning the lift. It was like a clean, jerk and then press the last inch or so when I didn’t get completely under it.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Best tip I saw was to NOT death grip the bar if you can help it. I will probably do the knee raises in sets of 5. I could do more but I wasn to save my grip as long as possible.
  • abaldi0506
    abaldi0506 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've only been doing crossfit for 3 months now, but decided to do the open since my box was doing the WOD anyway. And I can compare next year to see how I progress. I did 15.1 (scaled of course) this morning and at the time was happy with my results. I've never done the C&J. But I am such a competitive person (to my detriment) that I look at the leaderboard and though my time isn't confirmed yet, I can see where I'll be AND of course, I'm not happy with it. I don't expect to be in the top - really just want to be in top 50%. So, it's early to tell. But now I'm thinking I can redo 15.1 tomorrow to try and improve my score. UGH.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I like the scaled division, because I'm not entering the games to become champion. I want to see how I do, then have a baseline for comparison next year.

I have seen a lot of people say this, but it only makes sense if you never log your workouts. I log all my workouts and PRs using the myWOD app so if I ever want to know how I am doing today versus last year I can do that anytime, not just when the Open is happening.

• emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Watching Dave Castro yesterday at the announcement I was pretty unimpressed, he seemed a bit of a d**k. But I did 15.1 this morning, great atmosphere in the box and lots of fun to be honest. So many people did PRs. I watched one woman go Rx and nailed it. Huge step up for her. All in all I think it is worth it for the fun and the chance to see how much I can push. I have learnt that I probably need to push a bit harder every day.
  • samanthab19
    samanthab19 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It was a fun workout, had a blast :)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ascrit wrote: »
    I like the scaled division, because I'm not entering the games to become champion. I want to see how I do, then have a baseline for comparison next year.

I have seen a lot of people say this, but it only makes sense if you never log your workouts. I log all my workouts and PRs using the myWOD app so if I ever want to know how I am doing today versus last year I can do that anytime, not just when the Open is happening.
    Totally agree. I use Beyond the Whiteboard and record all my workouts, both CF and powerlifting. Plus, most of the Open workouts are not repeated again among years (usually just one per Open). I can repeat the workouts any time I want and I often do repeat Open workouts or benchmark WODs. I never understand this statement about comparing yourself. I had a notebook from day 1 in which I wrote notes about all my movements and times before I went to online tracking. I do a 5K every year on the same track and can compare my workouts. I can't compare 2 different races.

I'm also the kind of person who never PR's on PR days in the box and I get embarrassed. I also get really embarrassed if I do PR in front of a lot of people. I PR in olympic lifting practice, working on my skills before class, or in my regular gym working on my powerlifts. I'm just not a good group PR-er.

I applaud the Open as a way for people who wouldn't normally try new things or compete to do that if they wish. For me, since I don't have CTB pull ups or muscle ups, but everything else is Rx, I won't be moving on and it wasn't worth the $20. Anything else, and I can tell you exactly how many times I have performed any Crossfit movement since August and how I performed it each time. However, if everyone is having fun, then it's a good investment on your part. Good luck to all those participating! :)

• kimkilbride
    kimkilbride Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I personally like the scaled option. I think it gives people like myself a chance to get into the excitement of a competitive setting when normally couldn't. It is also nice to see how many rounds someone can do or how much someone can lift that is around the same skill level as you. I have a hard time with t2b but can lift pretty heavy where as my friend can do t2b no problem but struggled with the 55lb g2o. Everyone has weaknesses and strengths and find the scaled option allows you to play up the strengths whithout being completely dragged down by your weaknesses. Plus, if you are concerned about the $20 you have the option of just recording your score and comparing yourself manually to everyone else, rx or scaled. :)
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Did mine yesterday.
    Scaled.
    171 + PR'd my C&J @110lbs. Pretty happy.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    15.1: 101 RX
    15.1A: 130lb

TTB were the serious limiter, but they're better than they were last year. I just can't seem to get a good rhythm to kip them without an extra swing. DLs were nothing and snatches were heavy, but doable in doubles and then singles.

My previous 1RM C&J was 110, so I am happy that I was able to get 130. My strategy was to get up what I knew I could and then go from there. So I got 95, then 115, then 125, then 130. I power cleaned 135 (which is still a PR) but with less than 10 seconds left, I couldn't jerk it. Overall, that was a fun one!
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I did it on Friday and I felt ok about how it went. In the future I think I would go even smaller quicker sets on T2B, but I’m only doing this one once.

15.1- 146RX
    15.1A- 170#

T2B are not my forte, I think my best ever unbroken reps is like 12. I broke them up from the beginning, 6-5-4 on the first few rounds, then 3’s and 2’s. Deadlifts and snatches unbroken to make up for how incredibly slow I am on T2B.

I actually really surprised myself and hit a C+J PR on 15.1A. I rested 90 secs and went 125-145-155-165-170 on the minutes. My last two weights were both actually PRs. This was a fun workout though, I loved how it made you show a balance on gymnastics, endurance and strength.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Dang, I could have done the Masters since I am 55! I did everything at 85 lbs but was told to do Knee Raises because I was doing scaled and I am actually pretty good at T2B.

I did 157 Reps and 115 LBs.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Legs are back to normal. Doing this tonight with knee raises.
  • besagoss
    besagoss Posts: 19
    Options
    I really enjoyed this wod
  • leahkite
    leahkite Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed it! This is my first Opens, so it was a fun experience with my new little family. I decided to scale since I'm still pretty new and still learning. Friday night was the first time I'd ever done a Snatch or Clean and Jerk; so I'm pretty happy with how I did.

130 reps and 101 lbs