Charge HR AND One

Options
WarmDontBurn
WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
If you are or have been using both are you finding a huge difference?
I am pretty new to the HR (just got it yesterday) and I have begun the comparison between the 2 -- Steps and miles are a bit off but calories seem pretty accurate. I will know much more tomorrow and after a few days but wanted to see how everyone else that had both were doing!

I am thinking that the off steps/miles are adjusted by using the HRM? Which means it is pretty on par with my One -- time will tell I guess.

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I had a One, now have a Charge HR. I didn't do a side-by-side comparison, but have not noticed a dramatic difference in steps or calories. They do "Active Minutes" differently, and I have noticed a big difference there.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    Well, you know my story. :p

It sounds like you're having better luck so far so yay!
  • WarmDontBurn
    Options
    Well day 1 is over and here is where I am at

Charge HR
    Steps -- 17316
    Calories Burned -- 2553
    Steps -- 5
    Miles -- 7.34

One
    Steps -- 20533
    Calories Burned -- 2293
    Steps -- 8
    Miles -- 8.73

The only thing making me uneasy is the calories burned -- 260 plus a 500 calorie deficit leads to a pretty big deficit.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Wow, 1.39 miles off with those less steps, but more calories estimated with shorter distance.

Was some of this a workout then where the HR formula for calorie burn was used?

Can you go make an activity record for both for that workout time, and see what the stats are for just the workout, steps, distance, calories, avgHR?
  • vjessup
    vjessup Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had my Charge HR for a week now. The steps/miles are consistently lower by about 30% on my known 3 mile walk. Fitbit tech support advised me to perform a restart, which I did with no difference in accuracy. The calories burned appear to be more accurate than the step count, but I question the validity of all the data since this device is a "step based" activity tracker. I reported back to tech support and three days later I'm still waiting for their response.
  • WarmDontBurn
    Options
    The 2 activities were just the treadmill -- set to 3.0mph for an 1.5 hours in the morning and 1/2 hour in the evening.

Charge HR Reading --
    7iwdbtf526f9.png

One Reading --
    phc4k4wxeak1.png

Not exactly sure where it says Average HR though.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Can't you just walk around with both devices and count your steps and then compare? You could do 200 steps by counting them and then compare?
  • WarmDontBurn
    Options
    I am not to concerned about the steps though -- it is calories burned at the end of the day when I am creating a deficit to lose weight that is the issue.
  • WarmDontBurn
    Options
    Oddly enough right now my calories burned are less then 50 calories apart.
    Maybe a fluke? Also today during my "walk" I put the HR into exercise mode (the One I did not) and it seems pretty on par with yesterday.
  • heybales
    Options
    So the Charge HR stride distance is off.
    Is one set to default, the other you manually set?

Because 3 mph for 1.5 hr should be 4.5 miles with those 7611 steps.

I wouldn't do the math with those step figures of the Charge though, because they are obviously off, under reported.

And since steps equal distance with time equals pace with weight equals calories burned - yes, steps do matter actually to your concern about calories.
  • WarmDontBurn
    Options
    I have never added stride length on either device.
  • WarmDontBurn
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here is today so far -- I haven't changed anything at all but it seems better?

One --

lm9ime93qf10.png

Charge HR
    tq4jl0raw4an.png

I used exercise mode on the HR both times but only on the One in the afternoon -- only thing I did any different today and at the moment it is

HR
    Steps 16.918
    Miles - 7.17
    Calories Burned -- 2053

ONE

Steps - 19409
    Miles - 8.23
    Calories Burned - 1961

• heybales
    Options
    Only thing exercise mode does is set a block of time so the stats can be viewed outside just being buried in the daily stats.
    Also called Activity Record if you were to do it manually on the website after the fact and wanted to view the stats.
    On the Charge it also says to start using the HR formula in case the HR wasn't high enough with steps to start it automatically.

Still such a big difference in steps during the workout. Are they positioned near the same place?
    If not, do you hold the treadmill bars?
    Do you give yourself a little more bounce in the steps, almost skipping?

So it appears your One could be improved by manually entering a stride length.
    If that was same 3 mph pace the entire time, then the following applies.

4.5 miles x 5280 ft per mile / 10174 steps = 2.34 decimal ft.
    2 ft
    0.34 x 12 = 4.1 inches
    That could be entered in your web account View Settings - Settings - Stride length.
  • WarmDontBurn
    edited March 2015
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Only thing exercise mode does is set a block of time so the stats can be viewed outside just being buried in the daily stats.
    Also called Activity Record if you were to do it manually on the website after the fact and wanted to view the stats.
    On the Charge it also says to start using the HR formula in case the HR wasn't high enough with steps to start it automatically.

Still such a big difference in steps during the workout. Are they positioned near the same place?

The devices? My One is clipped to the left side of my bra and I wear the HR on my left hand (non-dominant)

If not, do you hold the treadmill bars?
    Normally yes --- since the HR not at all -- I am very, very aware so make it a point to only hold on with my right hand if needed.

Do you give yourself a little more bounce in the steps, almost skipping?
    No skipping -- I put on a movie so I watch that while I walk -- Just to keep me moving and log some steps!

So it appears your One could be improved by manually entering a stride length.
    If that was same 3 mph pace the entire time, then the following applies.

4.5 miles x 5280 ft per mile / 10174 steps = 2.34 decimal ft.
    2 ft
    0.34 x 12 = 4.1 inches
    That could be entered in your web account View Settings - Settings - Stride length.

So change my One and see if that helps for tomorrow?
    My HR seems more accurate?

I appreciate the help so very much -- Hopefully I can get it right with your help!

and just to be sure I change the stride in the One to 2ft 4.1 inches?
  • heybales
    Options
    I'd trust the One step count more, unless it's getting extra bounces in there.

I think it would be worth a bank of envelope test at the treadmill to make some notes.
    During workout, step off and note the step numbers of both.
    Step on and walk 100 right foot impacts, that's 200 steps total.
    Step off again and write down new numbers.
    Finish workout while you contemplate which is so badly off, and perhaps why.

Very strange step off that much, but it does explain the distance being off.
  • WarmDontBurn
    Options
    HR - 17,423 start
    - finish 17,575
    -152 steps

2nd time around
    -17575 start
    -17752 finish
    -177 steps

One - 19,892 start
    - 20,091 finish
    - 199 steps

2nd time around
    20,091 start
    20,292 finish
    - 201 steps
  • heybales
    Options
    That's what I thought, One more trustworthy with steps.

Wow, about 12 and 25% error on Charge HR, that's pretty big.

Just throwing out some reasons why the impacts may not be seen with the Charge while the arms are swinging.

Very serious arm swinger, like military style almost, although the steps are normal steps.

Unweight the arms at top of swing just as foot is impacting.

Sensitivity settings aren't correct.

Probably more I can't think of. Though detecting impact while arm is swinging is the challenge, I don't think I've seen it that bad.
  • WarmDontBurn
    Options
    So take back the HR and stick with the One then?!
  • heybales
    Options
    I'd call support first with your findings, there may be a hard reset that can help, perhaps defective unit, ect.
  • WarmDontBurn
    Options
    Appreciate it so very much -- thank you again for taking the time to help me.