FAQ - Syncing, logging food & exercise, calorie adjustments, activity levels, accuracy

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Do I need to make both FitBit and MFP calorie goals match?
    After completing the profile in MFP it says I should aim for 1870 calories per day, and when I completed the FitBit foodplan goal it says 250 calories deficit - I don't actually know what this means.

No. Because you only follow MFP. Fitbit's don't matter to MFP.

And that MFP goal is with NO exercise days only. Or days you happen to match exactly what activity level you picked.
    But MFP is going to use Fitbit daily burn data to correct that, so follow the goals.

250 calorie deficit is the same as MFP 1/2 lb weekly goal.

Your eating goal will therefore be that much less than what you burn, to cause about that much weight loss, hopefully just fat loss.
  • Andreake08
    Andreake08 Posts: 179 Member
    It's official. My Fitbit is a DOA. Battery does not even last a couple of hours. Everyone has already been contacted (Fitbit and dealer).

Now, wait.

This is KILLING ME. I want my steps and my figures!!! :'(
  • Rlnieman
    Rlnieman Posts: 26 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Section Two - More Details

Why should I manual log a workout?
    So other exercise that is not step based, would not be valid calorie burn based on those formulas, and that's assuming all the non-"steps" are even seen, which they probably aren't. Like biking or elliptical.
    Some exercises don't even have steps for all the hard effort, like rowing, lifting, swimming, yoga, pilates.

For HR devices, calorie burn for daily activity is still step based as that is more accurate, but for exercise it's based on HR formula. HR formula is used when you start an activity record with button press, and your steps are high enough to indicate the higher HR is indeed from exercise, or HR and steps go up to show exercise is being done. Otherwise it thinks elevated HR due to something else and just uses step calculation.

Today is my first full day with my Fitbit Charge HR so I want to make sure I'm doing this right. Today I only did a jog, but tomorrow I will be lifting weights. If I am understanding this correctly, when I start my workout I press the button on my Charge HR to initiate the exercise, then later, I go into the fitbit app and manually log the weights during the time shown in the exercise. Correct?

I tried it out with today's jog, and it does show 2 work outs. Is that correct? What I don't get is when I manually logged the treadmill activity it split my calories burned. It showed 136 burned from the work out based on the fitbit and 140 calories burned for the manual entry = 276 and it lowered my calories burned for the day, but before I entered it manually it said that work out burned 416 calories.

Am I understanding this wrong?
    dnpp56msmigv.png
  • heybales
    Correct on that process for lifting weights.

Hopefully you were just testing the process on your run - because you would never manually log the exact same stats as the Fitbit already came up with, no need.

Because those are not the same types of records - notice the different symbol, and scroll up the messages here to my example on biking and running where I changed the values that could be.

One is the activity record from the device button push. It's a snapshot of the stats that Fitbit came up with that were included in your daily time. That's the one you could edit there.
    You can also manually create that activity record if you forgot the button push, but still wanted to see what Fitbit came up with.

The other is the manual workout you logged that you can't edit, only delete. That replaced the stats for that chunk of time in the daily stats. The steps is calculated from your stride length state and the distance you entered, which appears you got more exact than Fitbit saw.
    But the activity record is snapshot and still shows the old data in my cases. Your daily stats for that chunk of time were actually replaced by your manually logged workout.
    I'm not sure if because of different device, or different order you did it, but your activity record seems to partially reflect the calories from the manually logged workout, perhaps Fitbit realizes you did something unneeded and is trying to help keep it decently accurate.

So biggest thing to not confuse yourself - do NOT manually log a step-based workout, unless you have much better stats for the activity.
    And if you do, then the activity record snapshot is really worthless of what Fitbit saw, because you are updating it anyway, so delete the activity record.

So in your example, if treadmill said you did 1.57 miles, but Fitbit only saw 1.5 (that's still mighty close and worth leaving alone unless you had good incline and higher calorie burn), you should delete the 1.5 activity record.
  • sarahmichelef
    sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
    Wow, I haven't read this whole thread but THANK YOU for laying everything out so clearly and completley. I literally JUST discovered that there is now seamless syncing between MFP and FitBit and I'm really happy because I don't particularly like the food entry tools on the FitBit system.
  • sarahmichelef
    OK, now I actually do have a question. In order to make sure everything was syncing properly, I disconnected MFP and FitBit and then reconnected via the web. Just checked my phone MFP isn't showing the count of my steps below my "calories remaining" equation on the home screen. I checked the exercise diary and the adjustment is showing up there, though. Do I have to tell each iteration of MFP (web, phone, ipad) to connect to the FitBit service?
  • heybales
    OK, now I actually do have a question. In order to make sure everything was syncing properly, I disconnected MFP and FitBit and then reconnected via the web. Just checked my phone MFP isn't showing the count of my steps below my "calories remaining" equation on the home screen. I checked the exercise diary and the adjustment is showing up there, though. Do I have to tell each iteration of MFP (web, phone, ipad) to connect to the FitBit service?

No, account lync is enough.
    But there is an option in the app to display those steps.
    Settings - Steps - Fitbit
  • sarahmichelef
    Oh yes, I see that now... it was there when I first linked them and then disappeared. I like seeing the # of steps on the app, so I turned that on. Thanks!
  • joan4440
    joan4440 Posts: 35 Member
    Does anyone know why my Fitbit one does not sync to my computer at times? To get it to sync, I have to disconnect then reconnect again.
  • heybales
    joan4440 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why my Fitbit one does not sync to my computer at times? To get it to sync, I have to disconnect then reconnect again.

The general topics rather than the stickies are the place for questions on current issues, since they'll be seen there. Here you have to purposely look. I would include though what you mean by disconnect and reconnect again. The receiver dongle, the Fitbit app, ect?
  • Fesanso
    Fesanso Posts: 22 Member
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for this! It's helped my understanding of Activity logging more than I did (well... since it confused me I'd say your explanation gave me all the info I currently have). I've had a Fitbit One for several months and never manually logged anything because I was confused (just left all my workouts as step based). I've just got a Charge HR and used it for the first time today. I noticed an incredible jump in the calories given... that I'm pretty sure weren't quite right. So today I did a manual Activity in the Fitbit log for the Kettlebell weights session I did, which I put under 'Weights' in Fitbit - would be the correct thing to list it under?

But I also did an Aerobic workout, some high impact, some low (kinda Interval I guess) but pretty step based (with a bit of resistance bands in there too). I didn't realise about the button timer function on the Charge HR at the time, but know I can manually enter the time. However I'm not sure what best to log the workout as or if to log it at all. Aerobics comes up under the Search, which gives a high or low option, and there's an Aerobics low impact (MyFitnessPal) as well. All give different calorie amounts for the same thing.

Any suggestions as to what to log it as... or not to to log it at all as it is a step/jog based workout mostly (though with arm movements, and I sometimes add weights)? Just leaving it unlogged seems to give it an enormously high calorie burn adjustment in MPF however. :smile:

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • heybales
    Now an activity record is merely a snapshot of whatever stats Fitbit came up with for that chunk of time.
    You can name an activity record whatever you want.
    But was that really what you manually created?
    Did it have a place for notes and did you enter start and end time, or start and duration time and calorie burn?
    The former is activity record.
    The latter is workout activity.
    Yes - very poor choices of words by Fitbit - which they'd improve them, too close for doing totally different things.

Weights entry, where Fitbit estimates the calorie burn, is for 5 - 15 reps with weight heavy enough to be a real challenge, with sets and rests of 2-4 min between.

If doing more reps, circuit training would be better entry, even if just a few lifts you were doing. 15 and over reps, rests usually 1 min or less between sets.

And correct to manually log those as FAQ mentions why.

No need to log the aerobics. Create an activity record if you want to view the stats for later review and comparison though. always useful to track progress.
    Since HR based, it might be more accurate than prior step based you saw. And that means bigger calorie burn.
  • Fesanso
    Fesanso Posts: 22 Member
    Cheers for that - very helpful. What I did before was a Manual Workout activity (as there was no activity record because I didn't press the button etc to record one), so I did a search for a 'title' then entered a start and end or duration (but didn't put anything in the optional kilo-calories as I had no idea what to put in). It then gave me a calorie burn result for it etc.

Thanks for the explanation re 'Weights' entry. What I did was probably more reps etc, so I'll put it under circuit training next time. Does Fitbit have explanations in their Help anywhere re these things? I couldn't find any. This was the real reason to get a Charge HR to record this type of thing but the Workout heading seems really important.

Thanks regarding the aerobics. I did another session today, and just button timer recorded it to see what the burn stat was... and just left it as is with no other manual entry.

Charge HR steps are not as accurate as the Fitbit One especially when I'm waving my arms about (ie, walked the same route with both devices and the One fit the mileage best), but as you say, the HR gives a bigger calorie burn for the same thing if your pushing yourself, so I guess it all evens out. As long as I don't care to know my distance the HR is fine, if it is I swap back to the One. Really pleased you can have more than one device on one Fitbit account now!

Thanks for your help/explanation. Most appreciated.
  • heybales
    No, the database or Fitbit has no further info on that. That info came from reading the studies the database is based on for those entries.

That was correct way to do the workout activity - let Fitbit estimate calories for the stuff where HR won't be as accurate.
    Activity button still useful here though, just to get the start and end times logged so you can use them later on manual workout entry, I'd even keep the activity record though the calories is wrong, because looking at HR info later can be useful.
    Are you able to push harder and get HR up higher down the road in comparison, or did a hard workout seem hard because of weight, or HR didn't go as high, so merely tired.

The database entry is indeed important, Weights, Circuit Training, Calisthentics (usually body weight, more reps, less rest).

• gshillitani
    gshillitani Posts: 19 Member
    I've read all of the posts and I am still confused about one thing. I walked for 30 minutes on the treadmill. My neurologist says I must keep my heart rate ~100 due to seizure activity, and it was between 108 and 111 as reported by the Charge HR and the treadmill itself. There is no exercise logged on MFP today, though. Does the fitbit not sync walking steps as exercise? Or do I have to change a setting somewhere to have it record the steps? Or do I enter it manually. I just got the fitbit yesterday so I'm not really experienced with it.
  • bassclefs
    bassclefs Posts: 2 Member
    Sigh. I'm confused.
    I've been using MFP for 5 years now and have used it to lose and maintain weight successfully.
    Game changers ... 1) breastfeeding 2) trying to GAIN weight 3) I bought a fitbit (which I totally LOVE).

Okay. So here are my problems, can anyone help?

I have my MFP set to sedentary, gain 1lb a week (I want to gain .5lbs a week, but to account for the extra 500 calories I burn breastfeeding I am setting it to 1lbs).

Today I ran 12km in 58 minutes (roughly 4:51/km), this equates to a 711 calorie burn according to my Garmin Forerunner. I did NOT enter this in MFP, letting the fitbit register it.

My fitbit did account for the steps and intensity, however, according to MFP I have only earned back 353 calories?
    Should I not have earned back far more than that by now?
    I am unable to sync my fitbit until tomorrow (I am at work), perhaps it is waiting for the final sync up to estimate more calories?

Also, is there a way to check what my fitbit will predict my daily calories to be, as my BMR on MFP is set to 2090 calories.

In general, I'm just confused about settings to make my MFP calorie count accurate so that I can GAIN weight - I don't want to suddenly end the days with a deficit when I am able to sync!
  • heybales
    I've read all of the posts and I am still confused about one thing. I walked for 30 minutes on the treadmill. My neurologist says I must keep my heart rate ~100 due to seizure activity, and it was between 108 and 111 as reported by the Charge HR and the treadmill itself. There is no exercise logged on MFP today, though. Does the fitbit not sync walking steps as exercise? Or do I have to change a setting somewhere to have it record the steps? Or do I enter it manually. I just got the fitbit yesterday so I'm not really experienced with it.

probably info overload if you did indeed read everything.

First - read the manual for your Charge HR.

Second - FAQ 2 question - Do I log all my exercise in MFP per instructions MFP gave?
    FAQ 4 question - Why doesn't my MFP Exercise Diary - Fitbit calorie adjustment equal my workout calorie burn?
  • heybales
    bassclefs wrote: »
    Sigh. I'm confused.
    I've been using MFP for 5 years now and have used it to lose and maintain weight successfully.
    Game changers ... 1) breastfeeding 2) trying to GAIN weight 3) I bought a fitbit (which I totally LOVE).

Okay. So here are my problems, can anyone help?

I have my MFP set to sedentary, gain 1lb a week (I want to gain .5lbs a week, but to account for the extra 500 calories I burn breastfeeding I am setting it to 1lbs).

Today I ran 12km in 58 minutes (roughly 4:51/km), this equates to a 711 calorie burn according to my Garmin Forerunner. I did NOT enter this in MFP, letting the fitbit register it.

My fitbit did account for the steps and intensity, however, according to MFP I have only earned back 353 calories?
    Should I not have earned back far more than that by now?
    I am unable to sync my fitbit until tomorrow (I am at work), perhaps it is waiting for the final sync up to estimate more calories?

Also, is there a way to check what my fitbit will predict my daily calories to be, as my BMR on MFP is set to 2090 calories.

In general, I'm just confused about settings to make my MFP calorie count accurate so that I can GAIN weight - I don't want to suddenly end the days with a deficit when I am able to sync!

If you believe the milk production really causes an increased daily burn of 500, then setting the goal to gain 1 lb weekly (which is 500 surplus), really means you break even at maintenance.
    So no weight gain.

For the run - FAQ question 4 - Why doesn't my MFP Exercise Diary - Fitbit calorie adjustment equal my workout calorie burn?
    Did Fitbit think you ran the more correct distance, and burn the better estimate of calories from the Garmin?
    If it matched, great. If it didn't, then manually log it in MFP or Fitbit, doesn't matter if calorie burn is coming from more accurate estimate.
    How do you know what Fitbit had as stats for that run - create a manual activity record before you manually log it, to see the snapshot of the stats. It may have been right on.

If it got sync of the run, rest of the day has it's estimate FAQ Section 2 - How does the Fitbit calorie adjustment work?

Who cares what Fitbit estimates the day's burn will be, you only be using MFP for eating goal, don't confuse yourself attempting to follow 2 roads to the same destination - they aren't next to each other.

Also, what setting on MFP do you think is BMR set to 2090?

To confirm if MFP has gaining weight estimate correct.

Look at Goals - calories burned from daily activity.
    Is your eating goal 500 more than that?

Then when Fitbit stats are used to adjust daily burn, that will still be correct.
  • mallen40
    mallen40 Posts: 119 Member
    I have read through a lot of different threads but may be missing something.

I use MapMyWalk when I do my walks and have it synced to MFP and my Fitbit Zip. Should I only have it synced to one or is it ok to have it synced to both? I want to get accurate calories burned but have a hard time understanding how MFP calculates when both MMW and Fitbit report back to it. Would it be best to have only one app synced??
  • heybales
    If you have MFP and Fitbit synced, then when a workout is manually added to MFP it goes over to Fitbit and replaces the Fitbit logged calorie burn.

But you have the same workout going straight to Fitbit too, doing the same thing.

Yes, bad news. Only to Fitbit or MFP, not both.