FAQ - Syncing, logging food & exercise, calorie adjustments, activity levels, accuracy

Options

Replies

• JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info, haybales! I can not, for the life of me, find "applications" on the fitbit android app. I found account > settings, but nothing there for apps.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    In the web account, never seen the app be the start of linking accounts together.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Ah. thanks!
  • laurateach73
    laurateach73 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for all the great info on here. I would just like to clarify that I am using the fitbit and mfp correctly.

I'm logging food only on mfp. I got that part.

When I go for a run or jog, should I be using the timer on the fitbit itself? Or the tracker through my phone? If I use both, it logs both on the fitbit app.

So if I'm wearing my fitbit, it does the calorie adjustment here. Does that mean I don't have to log that exercise manually on mfp? I don't want to double dip.

Thanks!!!!!
  • heybales
    Options
    You can use the timer, if HR model it's needed to start the per second HRM, which will increase accuracy. In any case - don't you want to review your workouts later to confirm you are actually improving?
    That activity record that is created is only way to view stats for just the workout - otherwise buried in the daily stats.
    Skip the tracker, that creates a manual workout that overrides whatever the Fitbit device came up with.
    As FAQ starts out - don't manually log on MFP.
    It wouldn't double-dip anyway - just unneeded and potentially overwriting more accurate data.
  • laurateach73
    laurateach73 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!!!!!
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I just got a zip last night. I am technologically dumb, and not very savvy when it comes to fitness. I honestly do not understand what the calorie deficit is... I have tried and tried, but all I know, is that I am getting close to mfp daily calorie goal, and I went for a 1 mile walk last night... I need an adult!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I just got a zip last night. I am technologically dumb, and not very savvy when it comes to fitness. I honestly do not understand what the calorie deficit is... I have tried and tried, but all I know, is that I am getting close to mfp daily calorie goal, and I went for a 1 mile walk last night... I need an adult!

Deficit means eating fewer calories than you burn. Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit (250 calories for every .5 lb. per week).
  • reid95
    reid95 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So basically just trust the fitbit and mfp and youll lose weight still?
  • K33p3rs
    K33p3rs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First, thanks for the FAQ, it really helps a lot. I just got a Charge HR today as a birthday present for myself. :smile: I've read through this whole thread and have one more clarification question. Most of my exercise is running or walking. I get that I should push the button on the Charge HR before I start, and then again when I'm finished; apparently that helps with the accuracty of the reading. What I'm not clear about is whether I need to go into the app to do something afterwards. And if so, which app, Fitbit or MFP? I am a former Jawbone UP24 user and I never did anything except wear it and it would count my activity and then give me more calories if I earned them; I'm not familiar with pushing the buttons then having to go into the app to do something else.
  • heybales
    Options
    K33p3rs wrote: »
    First, thanks for the FAQ, it really helps a lot. I just got a Charge HR today as a birthday present for myself. :smile: I've read through this whole thread and have one more clarification question. Most of my exercise is running or walking. I get that I should push the button on the Charge HR before I start, and then again when I'm finished; apparently that helps with the accuracty of the reading. What I'm not clear about is whether I need to go into the app to do something afterwards. And if so, which app, Fitbit or MFP? I am a former Jawbone UP24 user and I never did anything except wear it and it would count my activity and then give me more calories if I earned them; I'm not familiar with pushing the buttons then having to go into the app to do something else.

Don't have to do anything.
    The button starts an activity record in case you would care to review your workouts down the road. To confirm you are actually improving. If you don't then something isn't being done right, especially if weight is lost.
    The button also start per second HR logging, possibly giving a better calorie burn estimate.
  • heybales
    Options
    reid95 wrote: »

IF, if you set MFP profile to lose weight as your goal - yes.

You can further increase accuracy by paying attention to several of the points in the FAQ.
  • reid95
    reid95 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

IF, if you set MFP profile to lose weight as your goal - yes.

You can further increase accuracy by paying attention to several of the points in the FAQ.

Awesome thanks for the reply! I just got a fitbit 3 days ago. My "calories adjust" is about 300-500 so I'll just adjust my overall fitness level if it con this way. Thank you!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

Yes—if you're logging everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly, and if you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings.
  • LadyZombieLeia
    LadyZombieLeia Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    To maintain my weight I would need to eat 2000 cals.
    To lose the 2lbs a week I want, I need to eat 1330 cals a day.
    I ate 1235 cals today.
    My exercise burned 1161 cals, leaving a remaining 1256 cals.
    Do I need to eat the remaining cals to keep my cal deficient number, which should be 670, where I wont put my body in starvation mode,instead of burning fat mode.
    Or am I just thinking way into this.
  • heybales
    Options
    To maintain my weight I would need to eat 2000 cals.
    To lose the 2lbs a week I want, I need to eat 1330 cals a day.
    I ate 1235 cals today.
    My exercise burned 1161 cals, leaving a remaining 1256 cals.
    Do I need to eat the remaining cals to keep my cal deficient number, which should be 670, where I wont put my body in starvation mode,instead of burning fat mode.
    Or am I just thinking way into this.

You are putting thinking in to it that is needed.

First, you'd need a full 1000 cal deficit for 2 lbs weekly loss. The fact your daily burn figure is that low indicates you likely don't have enough weight or activity to be attempting that as a reasonable weight loss goal.
    If you have over 60 lbs to lose sure, otherwise, not.

Second, your exercise burned 1161 just by itself, or that was the Fitbit adjustment because exercise and daily life is more active than you selected in MFP?

Third, you were willing to eat to the 1330 calories without understanding where that came from. Why aren't you willing to eat the additional 1256 calories without understanding where they came from?

A goal is something to reach, right, like goal weight. Are you willing to miss goal weight by say 50% and say close enough?
    Then don't do it to your daily eating goal.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    [quote="

How do I adjust my stride length for more accurate calorie burn?
    Treadmill is best so you can have set pace and known distance. For running you want average running pace, not the sprinting pace, not the recovery pace. For walking you want purposeful pace, not high exercise level, not slowest shopping level. You want between so the device can adjust as needed both directions. So if normal exercise walking pace is 3.8 mph, and store strolling is 1 mph, then 2.4 is average to use for test.

1) Set pace, and walk/run normal stride until 0.4 miles is displayed.
    2) Now count every right foot impact until 0.5 miles is displayed.
    3) Double the foot count for total steps.
    4) 528 ft / Steps = decimal feet.inches per step stride length.
    5) Feet is used in MFP setting under View Settings - Settings - Stride Length.
    6) take 0.inches x 12 = decimal inches to use in that setting.
    (for example 2.85 becomes 2 ft., and 0.85 x 12 = 10.2 in.)

[/quote]

Thank you for the detailed instructions on how to calculate stride length. Your instructions in #5 state how to change stride length in MFP. Could you verify how to do this as I'm not finding Stride Length in any of the Settings options of MFP?

Thanks.
  • heybales
    Options
    MFP has none. That is in Fitbit web account.

That was a mistake in the instructions I didn't catch and wish I could have corrected prior to being made a sticky.

You should get a reward, as I think first person to either notice or at least mention it.
  • Shandajh
    Shandajh Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just got the fitbit charge HR. I didn't realize it was going to be as complicated as it seems it is, from reading these posts. However, every time somebody posts a valid question, they're told to go repost elsewhere because supposedly, it won't be seen here. When I try to search on where to go to find answers, I can only find discussions about MFP. Where exactly are we supposed to go to find answers?
  • Shandajh
    Shandajh Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i just got a fitbit charge yesterday and am very close to returning the thing out of sheer frustration and the inability to find answers anywhere. So, wondering if any of you who have one, can help. I did no exercise today at all, and I made sure I didn't wear the thing because i didn't want to risk that it would put calories into mfp that i didn't burn. It actually put 151 calories into mfp as exercise that I didn't do and is now saying I can eat that many more calories! I can't figure out how to delete them off the thing. Anyone else have this trouble?