Well Thats The Last Time I Do That

Options
PatrickB_87
PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
... On a mountain bike that is...

Given all the family events, the weather, work and general craziness I haven't had that chance to do a nice long bike ride so on Saturday I drove to the tiny (seriously it only takes a mile to walk the town) agricultural town of Linden, CA to participate in a charity metric-century ride (65miles) for the town center for the blind.

The great thing about waiting a few months between 65 mile rides is you have a chance to forget what it felt like at the end of your last ride, so you can go into with a bit of ignorance which always helps me.

It was a very last moment ride. I signed up that Wednesday and spent the next couple of days worrying about the weather. The max temp dropped to 59 (i know but it's California), rain was expected through the six hour riding time and wind, thunder, and hail were all possibilities. I can't seem to choose these metric century rides without rain. Thankfully the rain held off till right after i finished and it ended up being an absolutely beautiful day looping thorough the central valley with all its orchards and farms. Endless cow pastures, cherry and walnut farms and rolling green hills. I didn't have a chance to take pictures as the ride started at 9am and I had till 3pm to finish, so no time for picture taking. It was a small event maybe a couple hundred riders and maybe a hundred of whom were doing the full metric century.

Here is full route gps... http://ridewithgps.com/trips/4164945

ns8pfr9rrf8v.png

The entire rout was 66.1 miles, and my ride time was 5:21:36 and a total elevation gain of + 1750 feet (a lot of small hills but boy did they add up as my thighs can attest to). Their were three stops along the route but I only stopped fro about 5-10min at each. Since it was all farm land the entire ride was on the rode with no bike lanes and few shoulders, so with the 45mph speed limit on most roads it was a little thrilling at times but thankfully not a lot of car traffic.

I forgot how much I love the challenge. Granted don't ask me that at mile 45 when I am regretting the existence of bicycles and this entire decision, but thats just my grumpy self talking. I rode into town exhausted but very happy (mostly to be getting off the bike). I love the sensation of utter exhaustion knowing you have done it.

Next week I hope to be getting me new bike. No way in hell am I doing this again on a mountain bike. Their was a reason all the other bikers were gawking in amazement as they rode past on their road bikes. I was the only mountain bike on that ride.

I went with my parents this morning as they went to test and purchase their new bikes, so it seems the bug has bit. My father use to run but recently was told he had to give it up so I think the retail therapy of buying a bike has helped hime except the idea. Hopefully a bike ride through the valley floor of Yosemite is in the works soon.

Any who thats whats up... Now I am thinking as to whether I want to go for a full century ride (100+ miles) or maybe find a randonneuring to try.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Wow. you never cease to amaze, Patrick! Look forward to hearing all about the new bike soon. :)
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Glad you got a chance to get in a big ride. I can't imagine riding that long. Here I was all excited that I rode all three levels of the single track and it amounted to 22 miles. I am in awe.

Nothing feels as good as getting on a new bike for your first ride. The difference was night and day the first time I took out my new bike from the old one I was riding. I love my mountain bike but then again I do all my riding on trails so I don't really have much experience with road bikes. Those skinny tires scare me besides the wider tires make my butt look smaller :blush: .
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    To be fair, 22 mile of single track is a lot of work and a lot of fun. I've only had the chance to ride single track a couple times around my area but loved it each time.

I'm thinking about a surly cross check or a salsa vaya3, each are cross bikes so can do road or trail as those skinny road bikes freak me out as well (and who wants to only ride road). It would be fun to have a dedicated mountain bike (min is too old and cheap to do the job well) but I guess thats another money splurge for another time.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Amazing ride. I manage about 10 mins on a bike!
  • altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a wonderful ride and kudos to you!! On a freaking mountain bike, no less! I'm kinda laughing here but am really impressed. Have fun on your new road bike.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I haven't been on a real bike in so long I can't remember. And haven't done any sort of endurance test on bike in a long while... So not my element! LOL
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Simply Amazing Patrick!!!
  • artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Great job Patrick!! You always make having a bike sound so exciting and I think I will add that to my list of goals! Good luck finding a new bike!!
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

maoribadger, my first time back on the bike was something close to 10min and I thought my lungs would crawl right out of my chest. Got to start somewhere (and remember how to take the bike out of its hardest gear)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    LOL - keeping the bike in harder gear definitely sounds like something I'd do!! I wish my apartment gym had a decent bike or that I could afford one. I only work three miles from home, approximately. I could totally get into riding to and from work!
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    Yes, the price is certainly an issue. If you ever do look or consider, know the used bike market is big (lots of well intentioned people who bought new bike in the summer and called it quits by winter)
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    What did ya buy!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks, @RatPat13‌ I wasn't aware of that about the used market. I tried a while back to find a bike locally. Was donated two, that between the two of them would have taken a bike tech to make one working model, even required buying some more parts! I wouldn't know where to even start on the used market. Craigslist? Or are there bike sites specifically?
  • PatrickB_87
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I got a surly cross check 2015 in dream tangerine (http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check) as i wanted a steal cyclecross bike that could except a wide range of tire sizes. I will post pictures when it comes in :)

Yeah free donor bikes can be iffy, they will almost always need work. But at the same time if you can find a donor bike that needs $100-200 in work at a bike shops then thats still cheaper then the worst cheap new bikes.

Craigslist is a good place, many mom and pop style bike shops sell used bikes as well (which is nicer then buying from a stranger because at least you can go in and try it), I would look up bike swaps in the area (I know a few of the stores in my area hold them from time to time). If you have collage towns in your area they might sell used bikes (I am luck to live near San Fransisco and Berkley so plenty of bike shops that offer used). The most important think is to find a bike that fits. If the frame doesn't fit you then you will have a miserable time on the bike and cause yourself more pain. So whether you buy used or new I would still go into a bike shop and have them help you understand what size will be right for you (even if your not going to buy from them, or ask them about finding a used bike). If their is a brand and model your interested in you could even test ride them and find the size that is right and then look for a used model that is of that size (easier to do with the big bike brands that might be sold in your area, Trek, Specialized, Giant).

You can read about bike fit and REI has a good over view (http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/bike-fit.html) but each bike and person is different so trying it in person is the best.

I'm 5'9" which for bike buying should have made things easier as a lot of bikes come in a size that can fit me but since I am short in the legs and tall in my torso finding a fit was harder since bikes that were the right hight in the model i wanted were too short causing me to ride really far upwards. But I spent 1.5hr with the bike store and they found a model and how to adjust the seat hight and handlebar height that would fit me comfortable despite being a slightly oversized frame. I had no idea till I went in and test rode and tried them.