Weight loss and toning after C section

Options
MegsLeaBrown
MegsLeaBrown Posts: 18 Member
so to introduce myself I am a FTM of a beautiful 4mo old baby girl. I delivered via emergency C section and as a result was very fluid overloaded after due to IVs, epidural, etc. my highest weight pre-delivery was 186lb (I started at 156)

I think the greatest struggle has been the post partum waiting period before I could be active. C section is major surgery and therefore you are not allowed to lift more than what your baby weighs (or 10lb whichever is higher), no driving and limited activity for 6-8w. The recovery for me was brutal since I wasn't expecting it or prepared for it.

I was a good girl and followed my Drs orders and I'm now trying to firm up my tummy and lose weight again. Anyone else in a similar situation who'd like to share tips and progress please add me and/or comment!

Replies

• Dreamcatcher1121
    Dreamcatcher1121 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We could be twins! My highest weight was also 186 and started at 156 AND I also had an emergency C section. My son is now 3 months old. All I can say is it is hard but it can be done! Try to remember it took 9 months to get here, will most likely take 9 - 12 months to get back to normal. BUT there are some things I have been doing that have really helped.
    - As always eat healthy can't spot treat your stomach (I'm not always great at this but im working at getting better), drink lots of water to flush out system. Also I used the BellyBands (Compression Garments/Wraprs) to help get things back, I also used the "Slendertone" ab belt starting 8 weeks after c-section. I also focus on ab work specifically for c-section mammas 1. Bridge/Plank 2. Pelvi Tilts 3. Use an exercise ball. 4. Leg Lifts 5. Bicycles.

• MegsLeaBrown
    MegsLeaBrown Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We could be twins! My highest weight was also 186 and started at 156 AND I also had an emergency C section. My son is now 3 months old. All I can say is it is hard but it can be done! Try to remember it took 9 months to get here, will most likely take 9 - 12 months to get back to normal. BUT there are some things I have been doing that have really helped.
    - As always eat healthy can't spot treat your stomach (I'm not always great at this but im working at getting better), drink lots of water to flush out system. Also I used the BellyBands (Compression Garments/Wraprs) to help get things back, I also used the "Slendertone" ab belt starting 8 weeks after c-section. I also focus on ab work specifically for c-section mammas 1. Bridge/Plank 2. Pelvi Tilts 3. Use an exercise ball. 4. Leg Lifts 5. Bicycles.

Awesome! Nice to meet you
  • Lamele
    Lamele Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. I'm 12 weeks postpartum. My pp weight was 140, current weight 155. I also had an emergency section and exclusively breast feed. I went back to work teaching and feel like I won't have time to get to a gym until June. I have an exercise ball and was wondering what kind of exercises you do. Also, are you trying to count calories. How do you use this app to account for breastfeeding? Thanks and hope you both are feeling positive
  • LeslieR29
    LeslieR29 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am 4 weeks postpartum from a c section delivery... scheduled due to the presence of a huge fibroid, not by choice :/ My pp weight was 142 and my highest weight was 175. I am currently at 150... have about 20 lbs to lose to be at my ideal weight!

I am definitely struggling with the exercise restriction aspect of recovery. I go on long walks with my beautiful newborn, but he isn't much of a conversationalist so I get pretty bored! I am currently using a Bellefit girdle but other than reducing back pain and making me sweat a lot I don't know that it is really making much of a difference. I am counting calories and that does seem to be helping so far. I also had breast reduction surgery about 10 years ago so I have low milk supply. I am breastfeeding as much as I can, but it is not much (definitely not enough to help with weight loss).

I have recently moved so I don't have any new mom friends in town and am looking for mom support! Please feel free to add me as a friend! =)
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I feel your pain. I'm 6 weeks pp from a scheduled csection. My boy did not want to come out head first despite my best efforts to flip him head down. His head was firmly in my ribs until they dragged him out!

Recovery was such a pain, but I was up and down my stairs the moment I got home. I wanted to do everything and couldn't stand to sit down and watch everyone else do things for me. I sort of felt useless the first two weeks while I tried to pump and take care of the kiddo. My milk supply never really got up there and I was having latch issues with the kid. Way too frustrating for both of us!

Now, though, I've been taking him on walks and just started yoga, doing some squats, bridges and pelvic tilts to help my core. I have a very physically demanding job that I have to lift people at, so I really need to be up to snuff when I go back to work next week.

Best advice I can give is just start small and keep with it. Lots of core focus! Feel free to add me as well.