Road shoes

Options
Kupe
Kupe Posts: 758 Member
I have to replace a pair of shoes, I would like to know what you all wear and what made you choose that particular brand?

Replies

• cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Northwave for me. They fit nice and have a decent color selection.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I've a pair of Sidi Mega's as my main road-shoes - I've pretty wide feet, and the standard sidi's are way too narrow, but the Mega's are built on a last that's basically 2 sizes wider than the length - so for a pair of 46's, they're 46 long and 48 wide. Like all Italian footwear, they're stylish, comfortable and way,way, WAY overpriced. But they're the only shoes I can get that fit properly width-wise, and not slide back and forwards in... All the more importand, seeing as I need to have a custom orthotic in one of the shoes to address the discrepancy in my leg length...

I did consider having a pair of the "Luck" custom shoes made, to not only get the wide fitting, but the orthotics "built in", but at the moment the Sidi's are still in perfect condition.

http://luck-bike.es/eshop/en/29-road-man

My "winter" shoes are a old pair of Specialized's from a couple of years ago, back when I was a lot heavier - they're a size larger than my sidi's (the extra weight had caused my arches to fall and as I lost weight, my feet actually shrank as well!) so they give room for an extra pair of thicker socks without being too tight and cutting circulation. They've been "winterised by me - by sealing the sole air-vents with aluminium foil tape and a layer of gaffa and giving them a serious dosing of silicone proofing spray.

End of the day, like any contact point on the bike, it's really down to the fit, and there's only one person that can say if that's right for you - and that's you.

• handymano
    Options
    I have Shimano shoes from REI. They are actually MTB shoes but my road bike doesn't seem to mind too much. I have SPD cleats on them I also wear them at spin class. They might have cost $70. I don't remeber exactly.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Specialized. They are what my shop sells, and I try to support my shop when I can, and I've never been disappointed with Specialized gear. I'll look at Mavics next, for whatever that's worth to you.
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using a pair of bontrager road shoes and they are stiff and very comfortable but they aren't wide enough for me. I'm currently looking to replace them with either a pair of sidi's (I have a pair of racing boots for motorcycles with them and very comfortable) or a custom pair of bont veypor + to fit me exactly. I haven't gotten over the sticker shock to order them yet.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've got a cheapo pair of Northwave's that I use during winter. The main 'Summer' shoes are Carbon DHB's (Wiggle's Own Brand), which are nice and stiff, but not as comfortable as the Northwave's TBH...

I've got my eye on a pair of these though:

SHPXVTCRS_P1.jpg

... Or maybe in black :lol:

282657_P3.jpg

... Or indeed white?

282657_P2.jpg
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'm currently wearing Shimano because the shop was clearing out the previous year's style and they were my size. They are great. :D
    Before that, I had Northwave. Loved those shoes and had them about 10 years before they literally fell apart during a ride. :s
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as Mark, wide feet. I wear a 46 EEE and trying to find road shoes that fit is really hard. I ended up buying Sidi Genius 6 Vent carbon and they are amazing. Fit is perfect and the venting system really helps during the heat of the summer which is pretty toasty here in the southern US. They were expensive but for as much riding as I do, especially long rides, foot comfort is right up there with bum comfort so totally worth it to me.
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    Shimano as I wanted a wide fitting and I got a good deal in a sale. I bought MTB but they look reasonably road like, as I wanted to be able to walk around more easily at a coffee stop, and the SPD cleats seem easy too.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    I've got SIDI a pair of SIDI mega and they are nice for my wide foot. I'm a 42E. The Giro's fit my foot in a regular shoe. The Giro fits my foot a little better but that's a personal fit thing and you'll have to try a few pair before you know for sure. I like the ventilation in the Giro better but that also means I need shoe covers for anything below 40 degrees or my toes get cold. I'm running Look KEO cleats but Look cleats are getting harder to come by so I may be looking to switch as some point.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I've got a pair of SIDI and a pair of Specialized. I like both but the Specs are definitely my favorite. I'd have to look to see what model either of them are.
  • spdoman7
    spdoman7 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    SIDI ERGO carbon...good options with SIDI especially with wide feet

Find what fits best.
  • 2getgeorge
    2getgeorge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bont Vaypor.
    Roomy toe box (no squished toes),
    heat moldable carbon tub design (eliminated hot spots), very stiff and light.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the updates, I have been looking at the new Spiuk Z16RC. Anyone had any experience with Spiuk in general?

The are a very elusive company on the web with limited information. However the Wiggle reviews for the last years version of the shoe was very positive.
    Fortunately I have don't have any feet issues so as long as the length is good I am ok.
  • spdoman7
    spdoman7 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've ridden a Spiuk Z51M Mountain shoe for 6 years...not one issue.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I'm another HUGE fan of BOA closures...I will never go back to velcro & ratchet closures. I've "downsized" from separate mtn. and road shoes to just mtn. I have a pair of the Lake MX237s that I love. Super fast and easy on and off and having tread with recessed cleats will make for faster/easier duathlon transitions, too, especially since most transition areas are grassy fields with sections of pavement...really not ideal with road shoes/cleats.
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Specialized S-works, all bought on clearance.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Shimano touring shoes and am waiting for Nashbar's sandals to show up in my mailbox. I don't do touring, but I love that with touring shoes (and Shimano in general) that they are better for a wide foot, and the touring shoes are easy ones to walk around in when I'm not riding. I hope to wear the sandals when the weather allows, since I generally hate wearing shoes, but I still need them on the colder days.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have Shimano that I bought from a local bike shop. This is my first pair of clip-ins and although I am still getting used to them, I really like them.
  • oldbikegirl
    oldbikegirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using Giros w/carbon sole...nice and stiff and the insole adjust in the amount of arch support.