Calorie intake whilst breastfeeding

Options
janetay01
janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
A question for those of you who have done this whole weight journey whilst breastfeeding. I am exclusively breastfeeding my 11 week old boy at the moment and I'm getting slightly confused about my correct calorie intake. My target is currently set to maintenance - is this reasonable or do I need to be adding more in to take account of the feeding. I'm in no rush to lose the last pounds - little one getting his food is far more important - but I'm cautious of eating at a level which will pile on additional pounds. Any advice on how I should work out where my happy medium is would be appreciated!

Replies

• marymason78
    marymason78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a bit confused about this as well. I have been ebf my 6 mo. I dropped the pregnancy weight and an additional 10 lbs very quickly after I had him. Since then I have been maintaining. I brought this up in a meeting with my nutrtionist at my WIC appointment. I know we need to eat an additional 500 calories a day. I told her I am having an average of 1700. She recommended closer to 2000 and to up my activity level. It seems like so much food to me.