March is Florida Bike Month, because we have to be different.

Options
pepperpat64
pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
Any Floridians on this list who are celebrating Florida Bike Month in some way, such as by riding your bike? :wink: The 3rd week of March is Florida Bike to Whatever Week (really, that's what we call it - just bike somewhere every day for the whole week) and I'm going to give it a shot by riding to work every day. I used to ride to work once a week but haven't done so for a few months for various reasons. But I'm riding today and at least one day next week (in addition to my regular rides) to try to prep. I'm excited and anxious about today's ride because I'll be using my new saddle for the first time. The one that came with my Trek 7.3 FX isn't very comfortable so I'm trying a Terry Butterfly Chromoly. It's designed for women and got great ratings, so I hope it works for me. Happy riding!

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I'm leaving the frozen tundra of Ohio for Florida tomorrow.

I always come down for Daytona Bike Week but I also bring my bicycle. It is great to get out of the cold and ice and be able to do some outside bicycling, hiking, and running.

You don't realize how good you've got it unless you have spent a winter up here! :)

I have found that Florida is a very bicycle friendly state with lots of trails and it seems most drivers are accustomed to sharing the road.

I am looking forward to some sunshine state goodness.
  • pepperpat64
    Options
    Small world! I live near Daytona and my husband works the bike rallies. I think because drivers here are used to motorcycles and scooters, they tend to view bikes as just really small, slow motorcycles and try to be cautious. LOL. But there are always those who are careless or just rude. We do have a lot of bike paths and lanes but they're often not continuous. Several trail and cycling advocacy groups are working hard to great statewide connecting paths.

BTW, having spent two winters in central PA, I know very well how good I have it in the Sunshine State. :-)
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

I always come down for Daytona Bike Week but I also bring my bicycle. It is great to get out of the cold and ice and be able to do some outside bicycling, hiking, and running.

You don't realize how good you've got it unless you have spent a winter up here! :)

I have found that Florida is a very bicycle friendly state with lots of trails and it seems most drivers are accustomed to sharing the road.

Plus there isn't anything you could remotely call a hill in the whole state.
  • pepperpat64
    Options

I beg to differ. We have some pretty tall landfills. ;)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

Sure they have hills, but they call them either overpasses or bridges! :)

I just got back yesterday, only managed to bicycle twice during the week in Florida.

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I don't live in FL but does it count if I always wanted to? I shall bike in honor of the Sunshine State. (It's a great excuse!)