Whole 30: PCOS and Insulin Resistance

Options
laols01
laols01 Posts: 57 Member
Hi ladies!

I'm currently insulin resistant and have PCOS. Have been on Metformin XR (1000mg/day) for about 3 years and absolutely hate it. Trying to lose weight and have recently started the Whole 30 and am on day 5. Has anyone else had luck with it? So far I do notice more energy and flavors are definitely more pronounced. Would love some tips/recipes for anyone else who's done it.

Feel free to add me--would love to have some friends who are going through the same thing. Best of luck to you all!

-Laura

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a Whole 30, specifically, but I do more general, low carb/high fat, Primal (a Paleo derivative) and have had good success with it.

I don't really have any specific tips/recipes, but Everyday Paleo and Nom Nom Paleo are great places to start. I often just do "paleo [whatever I'm looking for]" to find recipes. When I find a hit, I bookmark it.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Some who have had issues with Met have found Inositol to be a big help too.
  • ALekaeHay
    ALekaeHay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I completed my 1st Whole 30 over summer; actually, my 2nd day was the same time as TWO 4th of July cookouts and a birthday party! I made my decision public (i.e. Facebook) as a means of accountability, and I think it really helped me to stick to my guns. I hadn't been officially diagnosed w/ PCOS at the time so I can't really say if it helped any of my symptoms since I wasn't checking for them then. However, I don't see that it would hurt.

I didn't "cheat" at all during the full 30 days. I lost an easy 15 pounds, but the best part of it was that I learned new ways of eating veggies. I'll agree with Dragonwolf - NomNom Paleo has some DELICIOUS recipes! Also check pinterest for some good ideas. Learning to meal prep & plan was essential for me too because I didn't want to be washing dishes all day, everyday.

Good luck!