Trusting fitbit numbers

Options
2»

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use to walk at least 12,000 steps a day and I started losing weight again when I upped my calories to the 1800 range.
    My BMR is 1400, so it stands to reason I need a lot more than the extra 200 calories to do everything else (like get dressed and eat) and then add 12,000 steps on top of that.

Today FitBit tells me my TDEE is already at 2300. If I only ate 1600 calories that would be a HUGE deficit.

One thing I do like about the FB is I am constantly changing my TDEE so I can eat accordingly. It also keeps my body from getting "used to" operating with a certain number of calories.
  • 3JinItaly
    3JinItaly Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I had a feeling that I was probably depriving myself, but it seems so counterintuitive to eat that many more calories when your body is used to eating less. It seems like so much! Today already, fitbit has given me an extra 733 calories back. That's crazy!!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    3JinItaly wrote: »
    Thanks! I had a feeling that I was probably depriving myself, but it seems so counterintuitive to eat that many more calories when your body is used to eating less. It seems like so much! Today already, fitbit has given me an extra 733 calories back. That's crazy!!

Actually, that sounds reasonable. Yesterday I took >17000 steps including a short Zumba class, a 3 mile power walk and a little weight lifting. FitBit gave me an extra 1079 calories.

In the past, I haven't been good about weighing and measuring every bite I eat, but I have been trying to be very diligent about that for the last few weeks (I had stopped losing and even gained back a little). In the last two weeks, my weight loss has been very close to what would be predicted by the calorie deficit shown in my FitBit weekly report.

So, go ahead and eat those calories. Just measure your food carefully.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    3JinItaly wrote: »

until you have logged what you used to eat that caused a very slow gain, before even exercising, you like majority of others probably have no idea about calorie levels.

All you've seen are the low ball bare minimum diets of 1200. For the average sedentary woman to just get all nutrients in.
    Not for body improvements, nor for performance, not for aesthetics, only for safety of a barely healthy body.

So good job being willing to eat at healthier level. And depending on amount left to lose, people can still pick unreasonable loss goals that will still create a fight with their body and stress.

You'll know when that 9 weeks turns in to multi-months.

At which point even a slow loss choice would have been faster than no loss for months on end, like many end up with.
  • kspenglermoore
    kspenglermoore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I do not have the new fitbit with HR, but I seen few test reviews (the best one was one where the person was linked to an EKG machine at the same time) for wristbased HR monitors and they were almost all off, mostly underestimating. I ended up buying a polar HR monitor with a cheststrap. It also caculates my calories burnt based on my age, sex, weight and height during exercise. I record the calories, the distance and kind of exercise manually in my fitbit with the phone app and then let it adjust MFP accordingly. That seems to be the most accurate way of doing it. I have also found that the non-dominant hand gives higher numbers. I do like my fitbit to help keep me moving during the day...... I have lost 105lbs in 10 month and have now been maintaing for 3 month..... I NEVER eat all the calories I have according to MFP. I usually stay around 500 calories under and that seems to be working well. As to being hungry at the end of the day my suggestion is look at what you eat. I keep my fat to around 20% and my protein at at least 30%. I eat more fiber then suggested, but usually end up with a little less then 50 % carbs.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    There's definitely a margin of error. I get steps counted after washing my hands...