pain/soreness

Options
dragonflym
dragonflym Posts: 16 Member
Today is my day three and I am so sore that I am not sure how to get myself through the workout today. Anything I can do to ease the pain? Should I just wait until later in the day?
It's been awhile since I've done anything exercising other than walking my dog or playing with her in the snow.

Replies

• SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you can try some yoga. You might even consider moving the day 7 yoga to today and let that be your workout for today. I used to do yoga every morning and I often woke up stiff and sore from something I did the day before. After I did the yoga, however, I would roll up my mat feeling flexible and able to move. If you really want to try to stick with the DVDs, you can always do your own yoga practice (maybe some sun salutations) and then see if you feel up to doing the DVD for today. And if you do today's DVD, leave out the weights. You can use weights next time when you don't feel quite so sore.

I officially start tomorrow. I have a feeling I'll be following some of the above advice myself very soon.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    dragonfym, I wish I had reread the "Start Here" information from the set because your answer is right there. Autumn suggests that, if you don't have time to do a full 30 minutes workout, you should do the 10-Minute Fix for Abs. Seems to me, if you are too sore to do a full 30 minutes, you could replace the full workout with the short ab workout as well.

What did you end up doing?
  • dragonflym
    Options
    I ended up just doing some stretching and taking my dog for an extra long walk. So now I'm on track for 22 days.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    dragonflym I'm sure your dog loved it and it sounds like you made a good choice. Did you pick up where you left off or are you jumping to where you "should" be?
  • dragonflym
    Options
    I picked up where I left off.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    dragonflym, That's probably what I would have done too! This week, I'll be doing the full week's workout, now that I have my replacement disc. My quads were stiff and sore all last week even without doing the Lower Body Fix so I can only imagine how I'll feel at the end of this week. :#
  • LettingTheSmallStuffGo
    Options
    I'm a person who always gets rediculously sore everytime I start working out. What I finally figured out that works for me is that when I start a new workout or if I haven't worked out in a long time I go through the video and a slower and lower intensity. I might do it as a low impact and make one rep for every two of theirs. If it requires weights or exercise bands I will forgo them for the first run through. Then I'll add them but do one rep for their every two. After about 2-3 times I can pick up the pace. When I do this I rarely ever experience muscle soreness. Keep drinking lots of water, it flushes out the lactic acid.
  • SatiaRenee
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly with what @LettingTheSmallStuffGo said. That's what I did the first week, not using weights and following along at a lower impact. Of course, I have to stay low impact (doctor's orders) but not using weights helped me see how I would move through the workout and where I would need to modify.

Another thing that helps a lot is keeping hydrated. Drink at least as much water as you know you should have in a day (1/2oz per 1 lb body weight) and then more if you sweat while exercising or if it's summer. The usual recommendation is 64 ozs a day. That's great if you weigh 128 but since most of do not and we are exercising, we need more than the usual recommendation.