Anyone Upgraded From One To Charge HR?

Options
WaterBunnie
WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
How does the charge HR compare on burn rates? Are you finding it as accurate? Was it worth the upgrade? Do you pick up many surplus steps for hand movements? Any tips would be most welcome to help me decide whether to upgrade. Thanks

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I had a One and upgraded to the Charge HR after I washed my One. I like having the heart rate data. I haven't noticed it picking up surplus steps from hand movements, but I have noticed that it picks up a few steps when I'm driving. I think it is just when stopping & starting, but I don't drive enough for it to matter, so I haven't worried about it. I have noticed that it misses steps when I'm pushing a shopping cart. I have started trying to only push the cart with one hand, but next time I go shopping I'm going to try something different. I'm going to tuck the Charge HR in my bra, with the sensors against my skin. I tried it here at home and it seemed to do the heart rate just fine.

Bottom line, I seem to be getting about the same number of steps and calorie burn each day as I was getting with my One, so you could say that there's no reason to upgrade. However, theoretically, the heart rate data should help to give a more accurate calorie burn for step based exercise and it's just interesting to have. It's just one more way to monitor one's health and activity.
  • PrimalRemedy
    PrimalRemedy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex and ordered the Charge HR in plum. It was back ordered 8-10 weeks, but I should get it in mid-April. Nancy, thanks for sharing your comments! I can't wait till mine comes. It's been a L O N G wait!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex and ordered the Charge HR in plum. It was back ordered 8-10 weeks, but I should get it in mid-April. Nancy, thanks for sharing your comments! I can't wait till mine comes. It's been a L O N G wait!

I wanted a plum as well, but couldn't wait since my One was dead. So, I have black. I've ordered a plum one, though and the plan is to give the black one to my son when it gets here. However, there are some scratches on the screen (that's something I should have mentioned - the screen scratches pretty easily), so I'll give him his choice as to whether he wants the black or the plum.
  • oludi
    oludi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    PrimalRemedy, I called all the local fitbit hr retailers to find one that had it in stock. Finally found one at a sports Authority on March 2nd Love it.
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I got the Charge HR after my Ultra died and I'm not in love with it. I find that I don't really like wearing something on my wrist and I find that it counts a lot of arm movements as steps. It also counts steps while driving or on the train, but the Ultra did that too, so no change there.
    The heart rate counter seems to be accurate when at rest, which makes for a more accurate daily calorie burn I guess, but it's less so when exercising. I manually checked my heart rate while working out and the reading on the Charge was much lower. I had a polar hrm but it died and I though this would be a good option so I wouldn't need a second device to track when exercising, but the Charge doesn't seem to be what I was looking for.
    I also dislike having to charge it much more often, at least once every five days. I was only charging my Ultra once every two weeks (was only syncing it once a week, so others may have had a different experience).
    I bought mine at REI and they have a pretty liberal return policy - you can return within a year- so I might exchange it for the One.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've had the Ultra, One, and now Charge HR.
    I don't notice it counting extra steps with hand movements. Actually, I think I miss steps with it. It doesn't give me steps if I'm pushing a shopping cart with my hand on the bar. I'm learning to steer the cart one handed so my FitBit hand can swing as I walk. If I'm walking with my hands in my pocket, or arms crossed across my chest (as I do a lot when I'm in the classroom), no steps. My One and Ultra would have picked up all those as steps without an issue. The Charge HR definitely requires my arm be hanging and moving as I walk.

I do like the extra data the HR gives me. My calorie burns are very similar to what I was getting with the One. I found it fascinating that when I have been sick and fighting an illness that my resting HR was quite elevated and it was fun to watch the slowly return to normal as I recuperated from being sick.

For exercise the HR is not good at capturing sudden bursts of heart rate acceleration. If you are walking continuously or biking or whatever it does well, but for stop-and-start activities it lags on each burst. My husband also has the HR and he's getting 200 less calorie credit on the FitBit HR versus his Polar when playing racquetball, for example.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm really grateful for your replies which have helped me decide to stick with the One.