Fat Bikes

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    smeakim1 wrote: »
    Here is my new toy.... Farley 9.8. I set it up tubless (saves almost 3 lbs in tube weight) just a hair under 23lbs without pedals and water bottle cages.

raunf3y7b937.jpg

Looks similar to this:

jcb8250.jpg

:D
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    edited November 2015
    So here is my new toy. In the end I went with the Mongoose Dolomite as a starter fat bike. I bought it from a friend who went to the trouble to convert the shifter from a grip shift to a trigger. I swapped out the pedals to bigger ones. He threw in a pair of Surly Rolling Darryl rims so for the money I spent I think I came out pretty good. At some point this winter I will see if I can get the Surly rims on this thing - it might lower the weight a smidge. I can still see me upgrading to a better bike in the future, but this one should be plenty of fun for now and will tell me if I like riding fat bikes enough to spend more money. v2ejs13djovq.jpg
  • mrron2u
    I heard that it was snowing in Denver this morning. I am from there but live in Kansas now. Hoping some of that snow heads east soon!
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    mrron2u wrote: »
    I heard that it was snowing in Denver this morning. I am from there but live in Kansas now. Hoping some of that snow heads east soon!

Sorry, the snow is already gone. :(

Nice ride. Glad you got a few upgrades on it.

• cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Got my first snow ride in. Fun stuff.

0i24zw0ajty2.jpeg
  • denversillygoose
    Happy fat bike season!
    digcdvrmry9i.jpg
    snow.jpg 328.6K
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    No snow where I am tho rains enough in winter. So far my Raleigh does a decent job in the rain & gunk slime that they call roads as I don't slip around. Slapped on fenders and am pretty dry, too. Fat Bike looks kick *kitten* in the snow! My LBS has a few in stock but they are sold to roadies heading for the beach.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Beautiful bikes, enjoy them!!

My snow riding has been mostly on 2.75" and a tandem. Lots of pushing. But I don't think I'll ever get a fat bike. Just not enough snow here.

I do want an adventure trekking or audax/touring bike.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    I use my Fat Tire year round. It's great in mud, sand, loose dirt and on rocky terrain. I love this thing. :smile:
  • mrron2u
    I'm loving my Fat Bike. I am sure I will save my money and buy one that is lighter and fits me better. But with the sloppy weather we've been having here in KC my Fat Bike is very handy!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    *soapbox preaching pet peeve*

As one of the few trail maintainers in my area, this pokes at a sensitive spot for me. Fatbikes are not excuses to ride when trail conditions are muddy/poor. A fatbike damages trails the same way any other bike/horse/hiker/etc does. If the trails are soft, you shouldn't be riding.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    jacksonpt wrote: »

As one of the few trail maintainers in my area, this pokes at a sensitive spot for me. Fatbikes are not excuses to ride when trail conditions are muddy/poor. A fatbike damages trails the same way any other bike/horse/hiker/etc does. If the trails are soft, you shouldn't be riding.

Depends on the place and trail type. But thanks for the PSA.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    If the trails are soft, you shouldn't be riding.
    if he trails were dry and firm, I'd have to check my Passport, because I certainly wouldn't be in my Home Country!

• denversillygoose

Couldn't agree more. No trails should be hiked or biked in muddy/wet conditions. Snow and frozen ground is a different story. I'm pretty sure the only affect I had on this path was evening out ruts from mtn bikes.
  • EvgeniZyntx

Couldn't agree more. No trails should be hiked or biked in muddy/wet conditions. Snow and frozen ground is a different story. I'm pretty sure the only affect I had on this path was evening out ruts from mtn bikes.

Again with absolutes. Some trails are fine muddy - wide forest worktrails are not intended for pristine preservation; they are more road than anything else. They can be used in any condition.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    We can argue semantics and details forever, but the point was that fatbikes can and will do damage to trails just like any other bike, and that you shouldn't regard them as an excuse to ride whenever/wherever you want. Have some respect for the environment, or at the very least, for the people who build and maintain the trails you ride. It's a lot more work than most people realize.
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    I just got done working on my Fatboy, swapped Sram twists to Shimano XT triggers, switched to 1x10 (32-11x42) , XT stoppers...and split tube tubeless...
    so far so good.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    1888668_10153807161659467_1858780227284965378_n.jpg?oh=91a45886f45bed06ec4a97be0e3b6707&oe=57089129
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Love the picture. :smile: Are you riding that down the ski slope?
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Sags is the MAN!