Confused/Frustrated at 5 weeks out!

Options
2»

Replies

• asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Devi, have faith. I know it is hard. If memory serves me correctly my 6-9 month time frame I only lost 7lbs. I was devastated that I had failed at yet another thing in my life. However when the nut and I sat down and started to look at things and tweaked my food and exercise ( lack of) and here I am 4 years later, still continuing to loose. ( I had a lot to loose) So my point of this is that we are trying to get healthy and not worry so much about the number on the scale (a hard lesson for me to learn) Take your measurements as well, because when the scale doesn't move, I will bet that you measurements have changed. Stay strong the process works, there are many of us veterans here to prove that. All the best!
  • hastings020513
    Options
    I feel u I'm 4 weeks out and down 27lbs and I constantly worry that I'm doing something wrong cos I want results now but then I remember I can't even remember the last time I lost 5 lbs let a lone 27lbs so I'll take what I can and work my butt off to make it more
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    After month one, I don't think I've had another month over 20 lost. It's not a race but about change and preparing for a new lifestyle we know that doesn't happen overnight.

I had the same thoughts, wanting to compare my loss to others. It's hurtful. What is, IMHO, is asking those questions..how did you continue, what helped you after the first month, and seeing all the reasons above, then doing some self reflection. Look at your logs, think about water, protein, exercise and make adjustments if needed.

And as 5beautifuldays mentioned How your colon behaves plays a part. when my body isn't ready have a movement, I can see slight increases in my weight. Then I go, And a day later between that and everything I'm doing, I'll have a few consecutive loss days.

(So there folks that friend me and see my loss on your home feed. When I stall then lose, you know I got lucky on the toilet. LOL)
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    boomerkae wrote: »
    (So there folks that friend me and see my loss on your home feed. When I stall then lose, you know I got lucky on the toilet. LOL)

Truth. LOL
  • thin2be2013
    thin2be2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

(So there folks that friend me and see my loss on your home feed. When I stall then lose, you know I got lucky on the toilet. LOL)[/quote]

Now that there is funny, but oh, so true!! :D I still have to use Miralax every third day or so just to be lucky LOL

• SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Thanks for all your encouragement and advice. I'm happy to report that the scale has finally moved and I'm down almost 2 lbs. I took your advice and looked at my diary and realized my protein and water numbers were low. I really made an effort to increase them and it seems to have worked! The only downside of all this is that I realized I still need to do protein shakes to meet my goals...at least for now!
  • liz1531
    liz1531 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 40 lbs in 6 months so it hasn't been fast for me either. I'll stall for weeks at a time. Part of my problem is not making the food changes I need. I still like all the same foods and the thought of eating fish grosses me out and its hard to find premade stuff that is on plan and tastes good.

I need to learn how to find lower calorie foods that I like and cut out the carbs. Carbs have always caused me issues and still do.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I am frustrated, too. I have lost 22 lbs since surgery and it just feels like I am stuck. I regret EVERY single time I told someone to just relax when they have a stall. Stalls are BRUTAL. I have not had the scale move in eleven days. I feel like shaving my head just to see some movement, but that's not a fat loss.

I did measure myself and have seen some movement, but I think the main thing is an oncoming period. Since I am perimenopausal (the stage before menopause) my periods are very weird and sometimes just throw me into turmoil and then don't even come. It's like gearing up for a blind date and then being stood up.

Each day is a struggle while I do this thing where I start my day on the scale. I need to get it out of the bathroom and out of my mind. Since surgery, I am down from a 22 to an 18. I need to get my head on straight and stop messing with myself.
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think one thing that has helped me is to give myself permission to be frustrated and upset so long as that doesn't translate into bingeing. One of the most important things I have learned is to let myself feel how I feel and not try to smother the feelings with chocolate. Stalls will come. Its how we react that really makes the difference.
  • mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm 4.5 months post op. Month 1 lost 31 lbs, month 2 lost 6.8 lbs, month 3 lost 7.2 lbs and month 4 lost 6.9 lbs. I'm thrilled with my progress. I'm not sure if it's fast or slow, and I don't really care. All I know is I'm off medications and BiPap machine, I've dropped 4 dress sizes and I feel great. I've always heard that healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs/week, so my body has settled into that range. I just focus on getting my protein and water each day and making sure I have some level of activity - either gym or walking. I just got my 3 month lab results and all came back in the normal range. So I'm just gonna keep doing what I'm doing.
  • cmpleonard
    cmpleonard Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    HI! - I didn't read all the responses so I am sorry if I am repeating anything. My surgery was Jan 29 2015. I lost about 15 lbs. in the first week and half. And then the scale did not move for the next 3 weeks. At all!! I kept trying to keep it together but that was hard and depressing!! At my 1 month post op appointment the exercise physiologist asked me what exercising I was doing. I told her all cardio. She told me to quit cardio as primary activity. She said cardio is great as a supplement/heart healthy activity but to lose weight I need to do a weight training. Weight training builds muscle and muscle burns fat. Cardio burns calories. VSG'rs don't eat enough calories to worry about burning calories as a primary weight loss activity (especially at first). She also said to make sure to drink half a protein drink before exercise and the other half within 10 minutes after exercise and to make sure I am getting at least 70 grams of protein in shakes a day - with the addition of 3 meals of food protein a day. (which i'm sure we have all heard pre-op) I started doing this 2 weeks ago. I have lost 10 lbs. in the last 2 weeks. And I think, based on how baggy my clothes have become, that I have lost more that that in fat and replaced the weight in muscle. My starting weight was 260. Day of surgery was 237. Today I am 212.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Dang-- you are KILLING it!! WEight training is VERY good for you-- good for your bones, and good because muscle is metabolically active tissue (even at rest), so you burn more calories-- this makes maintenance easier on down the road. Keep up the great work!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Once again Thaeda is right on point your doing well. Don't worry so much about the scale it will come around. The muscles your building will make maintenance a lot easier.