Options
ThatGirl_1968
ThatGirl_1968 Posts: 47 Member
Hello
Ok - maybe I'm not so "new" :-)
I'm a 5'5" 142lb soon to be 47yo, working full time, married mom of a 13yo boy and 14yo girl. I've hit my goal weight of 130lb using Weigh Watchers at work and even via MFP only to gain everything back again. I've never gotten more than ~25lbs over goal weight. I have background with weight lifting from High School, college and even within the last decade with a group women's weight lifting class at the YMCA. Loved it, but the routines took more time than I could devote and I when time came more available started opting for cardio - Zumba, cycling, elliptical, walking (not a runner!)
I'm drawn to SL 5x5 because I do know how fantastic weight lifting can be and it seems to be a very manageable workout from a time commitment standpoint. I'm trying to lose focus on the number on the scale, but want my clothes to fit better and see a stronger, firmer body in the mirror. I've downloaded the app and watched the video for Workout A and have a few questions before I start:

-My suggested workout weight is the 45lb bar alone. Does this mean my warm ups should be without anything and just focusing on form?
- Thoughts re the deviations of "standard" form- squatting below knee level, locking elbows etc which the video calls "BS"?
-Thoughts on incorporating light cardio on rest days?

Thanks! KS

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Light cardio should be fine if you're up for it, but I would take it as a "listen to your body" kind of thing. If it feels ok, great, if you're sore, skip something.

I warmed up with just regular squats and then one legged half squats when I first started.

Lots of us like Rippetoe's take on form for squats, you can check out some of it here: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Squat_Videos

And several people are reading his book, "Starting Strength".
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thoughts on cardio: do it if you want to. I follow SL and run on my rest days (Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday). I also bike or run on my weight days after I'm done lifting. (I participate in mud runs, so I need to keep my cardio level up, otherwise I wouldn't run as much.) If you feel good, do it. If you're sore or tired, skip it. (If you are sore, I would do some dynamic stretching though because getting your muscles warm can help alleviate soreness.)
  • ThatGirl_1968
    ThatGirl_1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks much ladies! I also read the FAQ - should have done that first!