Calories or protein? Question for the experienced

TryingTeresa
TryingTeresa Posts: 54 Member
hey guys
I was sleeved almost 2 years ago & have had great success. I'm 30 lbs from my dream weight. However, over the past four months bad habits have creeped in, slowing my progress. But I'm focused again & trying, but tonight I have a question. I've met my calories for the day a little over actually, but I'm about 25g of protein away from meeting my daily goal. During the first year post VSG I was diligent about counting proteins. Thinking I need to get back to that. I could drink a bariatric Advantage meal protein shake for about 150 calories and 27 grams of protein. What do you think is more important - staying in calorie range or protein range? Should I drink the shake?

Replies

• jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    If you are still trying to lose, go for the protein. High protein is essential for weight loss And health during the process.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    One day won't make a lasting difference either way. Hitting the protein goals while staying at a caloric deficit will get you where you want to be. You'll get there.

Rob
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    I agree with both answers you have one day won't make a difference in the big picture. Getting the protein in is important as is the water.
    Another thing to look at is food choices that we make, pasta or salad fill us up but don't have protein. A quarter pound hamburger patti might have 350 calories and 25 mg protein but a fish filets might have 175 calories and 24 mg protein.
    Changing our lifestyle including what we do and eat is important.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    I'm not quite as far out, (a year and 1/2) but won't sacrifice my protein goals for other calories especially while losing. Though I've been in maintenance for about 9 months, if I creep outside my goal range, I do go back to logging\counting and make sure I get at least 70g of protein daily. The protein requirement is a "for life" commitment to our after care. And yes, I supplement protein. A scoop of whey in my coffee every morning and often, (not always) a PowerCrunch bar in the afternoon.
  • TryingTeresa
    TryingTeresa Posts: 54 Member
    Thanks everyone- great advice to keep (or get) me on track.