How much weight have you lost?

Options
I'm running to lose weight and I'm curious for the other runners..
How much weight have you lost with running?
How frequent were your runs and how long average per run?
Did you get on a strict diet?
What was your starting weight and current weight?
DId you do other forms of excercise?
How long did it take you to complete a 5k?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 20 pounds since I started running. But, that was including a caloried deficit. I run 4 days a week. My week looks like this:

Mon: 3 miles
    Tues: Strength
    Wed: 4 miles
    Thurs: Strength
    Fri: 3 miles
    Sat: 6 miles
    Sun: off

I am working on building up mileage still, so I increase the distance of my long run by one mile every two weeks.

As far as diet goes. I am not too strict. I just focus on my calorie intake and make sure I stay hydrated and drink lots of water.

As far as the 5K...I did the C25K program which takes about 9 weeks.
  • roverdisc98
    roverdisc98 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

How much weight have you lost with running? around 30 pounds
    How frequent were your runs and how long average per run? almost daily, 2 mile min/7 mile max
    Did you get on a strict diet? yes. as few calories as possible
    What was your starting weight and current weight? 205SW 175CW
    DId you do other forms of excercise? not until recently/heavy lifting
    How long did it take you to complete a 5k? 22 mins
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 lbs since I started running, however I also had to count my calories! I had already been running about 6 months and not tracking calories, and wasn't losing anything. Once I started logging what I ate, and eating healthy things (as prep for my first Half Marathon), I lost 15 lbs in about 4-5 months (I was already at a healthy weight, so it took longer than if I had been overweight).

How frequent were your runs and how long average per run? I run 4-6 days per week, typically 3, 5-6 miles runs, 1 long run (10+miles), and then if I do anything else, they are typically short (2-3 miles).

Did you get on a strict diet? As I kind of mentioend above, I just started counting my calories again. However, I also tried to start eating a lot more natural food (fruits & veggies) - I try to replace sides (such as chips or fries) with fruits and veggies. (But, I still splurge every so often :)

What was your starting weight and current weight? When I started running I was 140 (5'-6"), currently I am 125. However, 2 1/2 years ago, I weighed 170. I lost the first 30 lbs from diet and light excercise (such as elliptical). Running has seriously made a difference though from what I did to lose the first 30 lbs. I know actually WANT to workout and I WANT to eat healthy (most of the time). Eating healthy makes me run and feel better.

DId you do other forms of excercise? I go to a Spin Class 1-2 times per week and try to do a little bit of strength training 1 day per week (circuit machines - no heavy lifting).

How long did it take you to complete a 5k? I starting casually run/walking back in April or May 2012, and ran my first 5K in July. It went really slow, but I ran the whole thing.

Honestly - I have fallen in love with running!! There are so many benefits other than just weight loss!! I definitely encourage you to do it!
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I never lost a pound running ONLY, but I'm a 5K/4 x week kind of gal not a marathoner. And I'm also the classic "I ran 3 miles today I can eat that pie" kind of gal too. When I started MFP in January and set my calories to 1200 (I'm only 5'3") the weight started falling off and I'm at about 26 pounds gone now (in 5 months). I also do yoga at least once a week and I've been doing that for 10 years or more. I haven't run a race yet and I don't know if I'm really interested in doing that. I can run a 5k in about 33 minutes. I'm not exactly fast ..... :)
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    36 pounds (6 before joining MFP)
    3 x week -2mi/2mi/3-4mi
    1260 calories then I eat back my exercise calories but lately I've been 100-200calories over
    SW: 224 CW:188 GW:155
    Walking
    It took me about 3 months before I ran my first continuous 3.1 miles and my time was 41:59. I ran my first real race after 5 months and my time was 36:38.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have lost 65 pounds running.

I started running 2-3 times mostly on the treadmill (avg 12miles a week) and now run 4 times a week pretty much exclusively outdoors (avg 27 miles a week).

Started at 270 and now at 205.

It took me a couple of months to get back into 5k shape and at the end of last year I did a half marathon.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight running and I'm now at the point that I'm losing weight FOR running!

How much weight have you lost with running? 15 lbs and counting
    How frequent were your runs and how long average per run? I started running 4 days a week and worked up to 6 days a week. My runs are anywhere from 4-13 miles.
    Did you get on a strict diet? Yes. Daily calorie deficit plus strict macro plan.
    What was your starting weight and current weight? SW - 141 CW - 126 (GW - 115)
    DId you do other forms of excercise? I do a lot of calisthenics, some weight training but not too much, cycling
    How long did it take you to complete a 5k? I've always just been able to run 5 km, maybe it comes naturally? Or do you mean my 5 KM time? My best is about 25 minutes.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Not an ounce. I lost my weight through a calorie deficit. Running increased my fitness.
    Started out 3x/week, about 30 min minimum (3mi avg). Now I go 5-6x/wk, 45-60 minimum (6-8mi avg)
    Nahh, just hit macros eating regular food. I did switch to better alternatives and became more aware of what foods created problems.
    Started at 179, currently at 149-151 depending on the day.
    I ride bikes excessively (road and mountain) and swim (I'm a runner, but also enjoy triathlons)
    My first actual "race" I'd say 28ish. 500 miles later, I've got it down to 20.
    [/quote]
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I started running properly once I lost the weight to maintain it, I was doing say 2 runs a week, about 3miles - 7miles. Currrently training for a Marathon in October and have lost 2lbs in a couple of weeks, just by upping the carbs and have been on 2-3 runs a week, about 6-7miles and a longer one at say 12miles.

Slow and steady wins the race :)
  • suannemarie
    Options
    30 pounds so far.

Between 15 and 25 miles per week depending on weather. Treadmills are my arch nemesis.

I'm only eating maintenance calories, not exercise calories. The weight is just coming off on it's own.

Start: 221 Current: 191

Pilates, bike. Not excessive on either, and only bike on days when it's too nasty out to run.

I don't 5k. I can do 10k in about an hour though, so call it half an hour. I'm not fast but I'm consistently stubborn.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I never lost a pound running ONLY, but I'm a 5K/4 x week kind of gal not a marathoner. And I'm also the classic "I ran 3 miles today I can eat that pie" kind of gal too. When I started MFP in January and set my calories to 1200 (I'm only 5'3") the weight started falling off and I'm at about 26 pounds gone now (in 5 months). I also do yoga at least once a week and I've been doing that for 10 years or more. I haven't run a race yet and I don't know if I'm really interested in doing that. I can run a 5k in about 33 minutes. I'm not exactly fast ..... :)

This is also me :) I've lost 52 lbs and running is my exercise of choice. At 52 lbs heavier I started off with walking and have added on running, C25K, bridged up to 10k and run 3-6 mile runs about 4 times a week depending on my mood. HOWEVER, I also had to figure out my calorie intake at 5'3" and stick to it....it's the combination of eating and exercising that has brought me this far.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I'm down ~45 or so. Still looking for 10 more.

- How much weight have you lost with running?
    Funny thing is I actually gained when I started running, I figured I could eat whatever I wanted. Then I found MFP and started not eating like a rhinoceros

- How frequent were your runs and how long average per run?

Started off just trying to go a mile. Worked up to 2+ miles 4x a week. Gradually have built up to 40+ per week, up to around 60 now as I train for my first 26.2

- Did you get on a strict diet?

Not "strict", but on a deficit until recently - I'm ravenous from the increased mileage

- What was your starting weight and current weight?

Started at ~205, currently ~155, wanting to hit 145

- DId you do other forms of excercise?

Not initially, but I'm now incorporating HIIT strength work, also trying to focus on core strength to help with form.

- How long did it take you to complete a 5k?

About 3 months. First one was 29:00. Most recent was 21:48.
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options

I have lost almost 80 lbs since June 1st with a mixture of walking and running. This last month alone almost 20 lbs.

My runs now are about an hour 4 times a week and are about 4 miles + long.

I follow the MFP diet structure however I take 5% carbs and put them in protein as runners need more protein.

My starting weight was 352.2 today I am 274 lbs.

I am doing weighted runs with hand weights, I cross train with walking 1 night a week as well as play for an hour or so with a medicine ball.

I am still a fairly slow runner best 5k time is 38 minutes :D
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Quote: (I follow the MFP diet structure however I take 5% carbs and put them in protein as runners need more protein.)
    [/quote]

Not sure I agree with runners needing more protein, it all depends on the running you're doing. If you plan on short sprints then yes they tend to need a fair bit of protein for muscles over the shorter distance but if you're planning on being a long distance runner, while you still require protein to aid recovery carbs would be the more important macro to keep an eye on. All depends on your individual goal, so a bit of a sweeping statement there.

Good work on your loss though and the 5k time is pretty good as far as I know.
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Didn't mean to make a sweeping statement, just going with what my dr. said based on the amount of running that I am doing. I feel as if my run time is so slow but I am glad to hear that it is pretty good :D