Having trouble sleeping?

Options
summer8it
summer8it Posts: 433 Member
This is my first post here -- I just came out as pregnant on MFP yesterday. :wink: I'm 15w pregnant, due in early September. This pregnancy was a big surprise... I'm 40, and hadn't been able to conceive after having my son, who is now 12.

Anyway....
Is anyone else having trouble sleeping? I'm spending several hours awake every night, and this has been going on since the beginning of my pregnancy. I'm absolutely exhausted by 9pm and have no trouble falling asleep, but I'll wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to fall asleep again for ages. This is driving me nuts. I know what's coming after they baby's born, so I would really like to be able to sleep now!

If anyone has any suggestions, lay 'em on me!

Replies

• mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Me too - but that is mostly due to my toddlers and the third trimester aches/pains!

I've heard taking vitamin B6 during the day can help (I'm already on an anti-nausea medication that has B6 in it).

Try adjusting your thermostat before bed. If it is too hot or too cold your body struggles to stay asleep (webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/cant-sleep-adjust-the-temperature).

Also make sure your room doesn't have any "blue light". Apparently blue lights (from computers, phone chargers, even your alarm clock) can disrupt our sleep patterns. I just toss a dark washcloth over the lights on my electronics and turn any screens in the room off before bed. This seems to help immensely. (thesleepsite.co.uk/how-does-blue-light-affect-sleep/).

You could also potentially consider a white-noise machine. I occasionally use rainymood.com and LOVE it.

If you can't find relief and this is making your day-to-day responsibilities impossible, ask your doctor about a temporary sleep aid. For example, Unisom is generally considered safe during pregnancy.

GOOD LUCK!!
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I had lots of problems sleeping during my first pregnancy -- it would be 2 am and I would be wide awake. My doctor recommended Unisom, an over the counter sleep aid. I took the generic brand, and it helped a lot.

Of course, check in with your doctor/midwife prior to taking anything. :)
  • summer8it
    Options
    That's good to know that Unisom could be an option if my sleep problems get any worse. I'll keep that as a last resort, as I'd rather not take any medicine if I can avoid it... even if that means I have to turn on the air conditioning early! I live in Florida, and I try to wait until May 1 to turn on the A/C each year. :smile:

When I was pregnant with my son, I did Hypnobirthing and loved it, so yesterday I downloaded a "Rainbow Relaxation" hypnobirthing track and listened to that before bed. Whether it was the relaxation session or just from being exhausted, I actually managed to sleep through the night (which means falling asleep quickly after getting up to pee!) and I woke up relaxed. Let's hope it works again tonight!
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. No trouble falling asleep, but I wake up at random times during the night and can't fall back asleep for hours. I have found that if I get up and drink a glass of milk, I can usually get back to sleep fairly quickly, so maybe it's hunger? I don't feel hungry, so I've been trying to limit the midnight snacking, but it really does help! I don't remember having this issue when I was pregnant with my son.
  • cateyedkp
    cateyedkp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    AlysonG2 wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem. No trouble falling asleep, but I wake up at random times during the night and can't fall back asleep for hours. I have found that if I get up and drink a glass of milk, I can usually get back to sleep fairly quickly, so maybe it's hunger? I don't feel hungry, so I've been trying to limit the midnight snacking, but it really does help! I don't remember having this issue when I was pregnant with my son.

I'm having the same problem too- falling asleep quickly and early, but awake by 1 or 2am and unable to go back to sleep. I'll try a snack tonight and see if that helps (though the nausea is already causing problems, even though it seems way too early for that at 5.5 weeks!)
  • summer8it
    Options
    Nausea is a good sign of a strong, healthy pregnancy! It means your hormones are pumping. I've found it's worst when I'm hungry, so a midnight snack might help with both the queasiness and the insomnia.
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problems. It sometimes takes me an hour or more to fall asleep, and sometimes after I get up to wee I can't fall asleep again. My friend who is also pregnant has been having the same issue, and she's trying melatonin tablets as they're a natural substance in your body.