Three months and the effects of stress

Options
boomerkae
boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
Last month I lost my job. I'd been under tons of stress going back to even before my surgery. I try hard not to compare my loss to others, but I've seen some folks loose more than me up front. I sat down, looked at my weight charts and realized how much stress likely had to do with it.

Early Feb - I knew it was coming. Feb 13 - I was given notice. On the 26th, I had to drive to my office to gather my things that were packed for me. On the 27th, it was over, after 15 years of service.

My weight loss? (based on surgery anniversary dates)
Month one (Nov-Dec) ~23 lbs
Month two (Dec-Jan) ~ 17 lbs
Month three (Jan - Feb) ~13lbs
Month four (Feb 20-March 10) ~ 7lbs

But looking at it by month...(I don't have solid totals for the early months since I wasn't using this particular app then)

January: 14 pounds
February: 9 pounds
March: 6 pounds in 10 days

I'm so glad that stress is gone - now, to find a job and get rid of a little more!

Here is what I did accomplish though!

rjzf276zlvri.jpg

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Way to Go! Self-awareness is one of the biggest areas of personal growth I did not expect from this process. Seeing those connections between what you feel and what you would have done in the past is a great thing!
  • imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Did you see those pictures? You are doing so great. Do not be hard on yourself. You are doing fine. Good luck on the job hunting. :D
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would say you are doing great in spite of the stress. You are losing and your body is thinning-- the pictures say it all. I agree, stress does inhibit weight loss but you are triumphing over it. The best is yet to come, both in your job status and weight. Stay positive, which I know you are.
  • boomerkae
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    Way to Go! Self-awareness is one of the biggest areas of personal growth I did not expect from this process. Seeing those connections between what you feel and what you would have done in the past is a great thing!

Thank you! and I agree! I have a friend who is afraid that I'm losing but not changing my mind...I know that takes time, but I'm working on that for sure too!!
  • boomerkae
    Options
    imboswell wrote: »
    Did you see those pictures? You are doing so great. Do not be hard on yourself. You are doing fine. Good luck on the job hunting. :D

Thank you! Interview tomorrow - I'm trying on all sorts of things to see what fits or doesn't look too big. :)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am glad you posted this, because the fact that you were going through stress and made such great progress is inspirational! I am going through serious job stress, I will probably be unemployed before long, and in the past I would have wanted to faceplant into a chocolate cake. Now I handle my stress differently. We really do grow through this process in so many ways!
  • boomerkae
    Options
    I would say you are doing great in spite of the stress. You are losing and your body is thinning-- the pictures say it all. I agree, stress does inhibit weight loss but you are triumphing over it. The best is yet to come, both in your job status and weight. Stay positive, which I know you are.

Thank you so much! I was so scared in Feb - I gained 3 pounds - remember I thought it was quest bars? LOL, after, I looked at the dates and it all hit me. Thanks for the support!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Holy SMOKES-- what a transformation! You have LOTS to be proud of. I was "released" from my job last week after 12 years of service--- so I feel ya on that front. I am heading out tomorrow to get some dress clothes that fit because very little in my closet looks good on me right now! Here is hoping we BOTH find the right jobs for us. You are doing great! Keep up the good work!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    ... in the past I would have wanted to faceplant into a chocolate cake. Now I handle my stress differently. We really do grow through this process in so many ways!

TRUTH! I am not quite to the point where I always avoid stress eating, but I certainly have a lot more awareness around it and sometimes can find other ways to cope. It is a process. :)
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You look marvelous. I know exactly how extreme stress affects weight. The last 2 tears at a 25 year job is when I began gaining all the weight. I ended up with a couple of breakdowns from the daily stress piled on me and gained a total of 130+ pounds (double my weight).

It took having the Sleeve to kick start any loss, and I still have to take meds to keep it manageable. I'm so glad I had the surgery and the support I've received ftom my MFP friends have bee invaluable.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You are looking great and doing awesome! Stress makes all kinds of things happen (and not happen) and I just love it when they say "try not to stress because that will make it worse..." Duh! Losing a job is a major life event but you can get through this and you ARE getting through this and kicking butt along the way.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You've made tremendous progress in spite of the stress!

And for each of you who are facing unemployment, I just want to wish you all the best as you go out and find something that will be better than the last!
  • boomerkae
    Options
    You've made tremendous progress in spite of the stress!

And for each of you who are facing unemployment, I just want to wish you all the best as you go out and find something that will be better than the last!

Thank you! Had my first interview yesterday.
  • boomerkae
    Options
    And thanks to all of you for sharing my journey and your personal support!!