Another "veterans" question.

asia1967
asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
Do any of you every get tired? I mean I know what I signed up for, I don't b**ch and whine about what needs to be done. I drink my water, take my vitamins and get off my duff.
With that being said, I find that I spend more time shopping for food, prepping food, weighing and measuring food. I thought that before WLS I thought about food a lot, now it just seems to be ever consuming. So I guess my question is... do you get tired of it all or is it just me and I need to take a chill pill. Questions, comments, concerns and advise greatly appreciated.

Replies

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Time cured me. After a year, you get that stuff down and it goes about back to normal. At least for me, 3+ years out I eat like I plan to eat forever, and I dont spend any more time on food than most people do.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    I was beginning to feel like all I did was log food and exercise and plan what I was going to eat next and yes, it IS tiring. I was WAY more focused on food than I ever was as a "dieting fat person". When I reached that point, (about 6 months into maintenance), I decided to try and release myself from the logging and at least try to live a little more naturally. It was kind of starting to feel like a "crutch" for me. Made a deal with myself that I'd still weigh once per week and always log that for accountability. If I crept even a pound outside my 10 pound maintenance zone, (I typically live in the middle) I'd log until I was back where I belonged. I still do protein supplements (1 or 2 per day), so I know I'm getting what I need there. So far so good. It's rare that I ever have to log, (even when I have to cut back on exercise if I'm sick or whatever) and I'm still maintaining with less "food focus" fatigue. It's not for everyone. I wouldn't recommend it unless you've been maintaining well for a while, but it's working for me so far. I think @aylajane hit it on the head... Time helps.
  • thin2be2013
    thin2be2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Oh Asia1967 I truly know and understand that feeling of getting tired of hyper-focusing on food, diary,weight-loss,ect. I know in my heart though if I don't stay this way at least for another year.... I will lose control. I have just started into my maintenance journey last week and did not log or even try to think about food choices just for one day and it turned around and bit me, so that tells me I have to stay hyper-focused about it. I have a poor relationship with food and I am totally aware of that....so even though I dislike being totally obsessed with food, logging and what to eat, ect. I HATE the consequences of not being that way, which for me would be fat, unhealthy and unhappy.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    I am only just over a year out, so I do not consider myself and "old timer". My food log is my security blanket- I am too scared to not prep and plan and this point. I have a beautiful track record of weight loss (pre surgery), but a HORRID record of regain--- so I am clinging to my "blanket" for dear life right now. I would really like to overcome this persistent and chronic fear of regain. Every time I buy new clothes (esp recently) I am thinking "I wonder if I will still fit into this 6 months from now?". Seriously stinkin' thinkin--- but that is where my head goes.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Sometimes it feels like logging, planning, shopping, etc. is like a part time job, but it's helped me become and stay successful, so while it can definitely get old, it has it's place in my life. By the way, I am sitting here at my desk eating lunch and pre-planning my meals for the rest of the week based on what I have in my fridge/freezer/cupboards. I find that pre-planning really works for me to help me stick to my plan (the less decision anxiety for me, the better) and also I tend to waste less because I plan around what I have. I generally pre-plan for work days and on weekends I try to plan in the morning for the rest of the day.
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Asia, this is such a great question. I'm 3 years 8 months out and reached my goal weight within the first year. I continued to log, measure and track. The only time I stopped logging, measuring and tracking was about a year and a half ago and during that time, I managed to gain about 40lbs. I think I was rebelling. I was tired of the logging, measuring and tracking. I fell back into old habits. It was hard to refocus but I did and I managed to lose the 40 lbs plus an additional 15 which puts me at a very low weight for my height but I do feel great ;).

I guess for me, I don't see an end to the logging, measuring and tracking in the immediate future. It seems to be the only way I can stay focused. Sometimes it seems like my life revolves around my diet 24x7. And it gets tiresome. But it's a small inconvenience if it keeps my weight under control. I tell my husband all the time - I might look like that skinny chick who can eat anything but that fat girl is still alive inside of me. (and I will work as hard as I can for as long as necessary to keep her from getting out!)
  • asia1967
    edited March 2015
    bikrchk> { I was WAY more focused on food than I ever was as a "dieting fat person". }

This is exactly how I feel!!! I am 4 years out and am not at my goal as of yet so it would be wonderful to think that not being so focused may be an option one day.
  • asia1967
    Thanks Ladies for the responses. I know for me that this moment in time, not logging is NOT an option. I have lost 86lb since joining MFP in June last year. So I know it works, I was just wondering if I was the only one feeling this way.
    Apparently not, not sure if that is good or bad. So I will continue to be diligent so that I may reach my goal, thou I am tired of all the focus on food. It is what is best for me. Thanks again, and keep on fighting the good fight!
  • asia1967
    renovagirl >>>> { I tell my husband all the time - I might look like that skinny chick who can eat anything but that fat girl is still alive inside of me. (and I will work as hard as I can for as long as necessary to keep her from getting out!) }

^^ love it!
  • TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    This is good to know for us newbies also so we are prepared
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I guess at 3.5 years out I count as a veteran? And to answer your question, yes I get tired of it all sometimes. Usually when I'm stalled and frustrated. And I believe I'm one of those people who will always need to plan my meals for the day, weigh, measure and log. I've found that if I don't, I get off track too easy.

As for being focused on food, I think I am just as focused on food as I was pre-surgery. BUT, the difference is that back then I was focused on what I was going to eat next, how much, (hate to admit to this next one :\ ) how I could keep more of it for me, etc. Now my focus is on staying within calorie goal while getting the protein and water daily. It's a much healthier focus. I no longer feel stressed about what or when I'm going to eat again. It's so freeing without the hunger, knowing that a little bit of food will be all I need and it will satisfy me.

I don't know that I would say you need to take a chill pill, but as you know, this is the life we signed up for when we had WLS. It's OK to get tired of it sometimes. I liken it to getting tired of cleaning the house or paying the bills. It's just part of my life now, but that doesn't mean I have to be enthusiastic about it all the time, you know? So don't be hard on yourself if you want a break from the journey sometimes. I think that's normal.

Pat
  • asia1967
    Pat, thank you so much. A lot of what you said hit home. Thanks for your admission. I totally agree before surgery I focused on what I wanted to eat, and yes I always wanted the bigger piece ( I use to think it was survival of the fittest, or at least I conned myself into believing it)
    I love how you put it into perspective about cleaning the house, paying the bills, getting tired of the "Whole food focus" thing.
    I am like you as well, I got off track too easily if I don't weigh and measure. It's nice to know that I am not the only one who just gets tired of it all and that that is ok, and that a break is ok as well.
  • asia1967
    Tn_Tinker> Glad that it helped shed some light on what to maybe expect.
  • asia1967
    P.S. Pat, I consider you a "veteran" and that is a compliment gf! :))
  • asia1967
    edited March 2015
    aylajane > [quote= I dont spend any more time on food than most people do.[/quote]

Wished I felt that way.

• aylajane
    asia1967 wrote: »
    aylajane > [quote= I dont spend any more time on food than most people do.

Wished I felt that way.

[/quote]

Dont be jealous, seriously... I tend to eat the same exact thing multiple times a day every day. I have zero variety and I honestly dont care. I have such low standards when it comes to food, it is easy for me. I basically have figured out a "perfect" day (in terms of numbers) and just rinse and repeat with little variation. Makes life easier. But I get no pleasure from food for the most part. Its a bit of a chore.
  • asia1967
    Thanks for the heads up. I still get pleasure from food, now it is the quality as opposed to quantity.
  • aylajane
    To be fair, it wasnt the surgery... I never was a "foodie" in terms of enjoying food. I just had a constant gnawing hunger that I would shove whatever I could in there all day trying to squash and never could. I swear the surgery just sewed up the black hole of a stomach I had. But I didnt really ever get pleasure from food before, and my standards were just as low. Now, the only difference is that I have to make an effort to eat, rather than a fill some need to eat.

Its easy not to waste time on food prep when you dont care about quality either :)
  • asia1967
    Wow, when you put it that way it sounds kind of sad, sorry to say. I appreciate the openness!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    I will be 3 years post op sleeve in June this year. I don't get tired. I have alot of more energy than I ever did before at 280 pounds. I don't mind tracking all my food, liquids, vitamins and exercise either on MFP. I have logged in for over 3 years every day. Even when I was in the hospital after sleeve surgery I logged in those ice cubes! LOL! I guess to me it is a personal challenge to see if I can stay under or at my cal goal daily and to see how much cals I burned off when I work out at the gym and wear my Polar FT7 HRM and see how many fitbit steps or miles I get in.
    For me I know I have to continue to log in daily to keep myself in check just as I weigh myself everyday. If I don't I will go back to old habits that got me to be obese.

Good luck! You have to take the time out for yourself to do this! You are worth it!