What triggers your binges?

Options
MacCroc
MacCroc Posts: 50 Member
I have been noticing recently that my binges have a very interesting pattern. Putting aside the binges caused by simple undereating, which I consider physical and not emotional, I tend to overeat when life circumstances are good and I get bored. Problems, and especially relationship problems, have the opposite effect: I stop binging and start restricting pretty successfully… until everything stabilizes again.
What about the rest of you? What provokes you to binge, restrict or start eating healthily?

Replies

• minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have this night time thing. I just want comfort food. I think its hard for me to wind down after a long day. I'm not hungry and don't think about food the whole day. I'm so busy teaching and everything and am zooming all over all day. At night I finally sit down and my food monster comes out. lol
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good moods, bad moods and being unprepared mostly.
  • minipony
    Options
    I feel it's also when I convince myself that "I don't have an ED" and that it's okay to be a little relaxed about eating things that I know trigger me. I tell myself "you can just have a little." Wrooooong!!! Yes, that would be a goal, but as of right now, it's not working. Go away tricky little ED voice, I don't like you!! :|
  • minipony
    Options
    tsikkz wrote: »
    Good moods, bad moods and being unprepared mostly.

I totally agree with the being unprepared statement. Good call.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    minipony wrote: »
    I feel it's also when I convince myself that "I don't have an ED" and that it's okay to be a little relaxed about eating things that I know trigger me. I tell myself "you can just have a little." Wrooooong!!! Yes, that would be a goal, but as of right now, it's not working. Go away tricky little ED voice, I don't like you!! :|

The ED voice sucks, doesn't it?? But you're right, that is the goal. You know you are not there yet, and that is okay.
  • minipony
    Options
    It's all a journey and progress. It's slow, but I'll take every little bit of recovery I can get.
  • chigiriswrath
    chigiriswrath Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For me it's always worst at night, but it only happens when my boyfriend is with me or if I'm playing videogames. For some reason I want to keep my mouth and hands busy during games and my boyfriend is comforting but I feel like I need more. Lately I've tried drinking tea like mad instead of eating but it's not working. Instead I decided to try a detox and see what happens. So far I've had no binges but tonight is the real test.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    For me it's always worst at night, but it only happens when my boyfriend is with me or if I'm playing videogames. For some reason I want to keep my mouth and hands busy during games and my boyfriend is comforting but I feel like I need more. Lately I've tried drinking tea like mad instead of eating but it's not working. Instead I decided to try a detox and see what happens. So far I've had no binges but tonight is the real test.

Please ditch the detox!! They are complete bunk. And for someone with an ED they're an even worse idea than normal. If you know this is a snack time for you, try building that into your calorie allowance. You can have loads of air popped popcorn for relatively few cals for example, easy to fit into your day.

Some more reading on detoxes and why they are a bad idea: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Please ditch the detox!! They are complete bunk. And for someone with an ED they're an even worse idea than normal. If you know this is a snack time for you, try building that into your calorie allowance. You can have loads of air popped popcorn for relatively few cals for example, easy to fit into your day.

Some more reading on detoxes and why they are a bad idea: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1

I definitely agree with skipping the detox. Its a waste of money and also probably not great for your physical or mental health.

As for having air popped popcorn, its not a terrible idea. I just think that you can still overeat something even if it is healthy. (For example, last night I had 6 servings of lovegrown honey o's (like cheerios but a little more natural) I felt incredibly sick, even though I hadn't necessarily consumed more calories than I am comfortable with)

You should definitely give it a try, because maybe it will work for you. But binging can still happen on filling and healthy food too (especially if its not from hunger, but more emotional or out of boredom)
  • minipony
    Options
    I can definitely over eat popcorn. It's one of my trigger foods.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Stress, boredom, self-loathing, depression. When my mindset gets into that negative talking to myself it all goes downhill pretty quickly.

I too would have all these emotions or moods, binge, feel guilt, restrict, binge, etc. over and over. All because I mostly just didn't like myself very much and I almost felt like I was not deserving of success, deserving of being human and making mistakes and not letting those mistakes be the next reason to binge again.

It's like falling off a bike, you fall off, it hurts a bit, you pick yourself up and get back on. When I fell off my bike, it hurt like hell and I was mad as hell so I threw that damn bike, breaking it and made that one little situation 50 times worse and in the end I was left with a busted bike. Make sense?
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Anxiety is my number one trigger. But I'll also binge when I'm angry. I'll get stuck in these binge/restrict cycles. Been stuck in one for awhile now.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Anxiety is my number one trigger. But I'll also binge when I'm angry. I'll get stuck in these binge/restrict cycles. Been stuck in one for awhile now.

Is there anything we can do to help you break that Hyliankitten?
  • minipony
    Options
    I had a bad one last night. I had nothing sweet in the house and it's like I can't go to bed without having a sweet treat. So I decided at 10:30 to go to the store and get some diet sweet treats. A box of 12 fudge pops, a pint of low calorie and low fat ice cream, sugar free syrup and diet hot cocoa. Well it started out as one pop, two, three.... then I knew I was in full binge mode. I used syrup and hot chocolate power all mixed in the ice cream to make it a strawberry chocolate maple ice cream. Of course then comes the guilt and the purge. Went back to sleep. Woke up at three thirty and at an apple, 3 mini bags of croutons and some wasabi peas.
    I'm only sharing because this is the only place I feel I can get it off my chest. I want to think about what triggered it, because this is how my binges go....at nighttime.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't if what I did was considered binging or just overeating but I definitely had a tricky weekend. Thursday night and Friday night I ate around 1000 calories extra (above maintenance) which was just me shoving food in my mouth in my room by myself. And then Saturday and Sunday were probably 500 over maintenance (but just because of family dinners) last night I had a slice of extremely sweet cake. I really freaked out and almost made myself sick. I never realized before but when I eat a lot of sugar (and by a lot I mean a lot) that I start getting really depressed. I am still feeling the effects today. I am trying to get past it but man I feel so negative about it all.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Restricting for long periods of time, which causes my body to think I'm starving and lead me to reactive with binging
  • maggiesue132
    maggiesue132 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Being upset, stress , and chocolate are all triggers for me
  • Mountaingirl33
    Mountaingirl33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    minipony wrote: »
    I have this night time thing. I just want comfort food. I think its hard for me to wind down after a long day. I'm not hungry and don't think about food the whole day. I'm so busy teaching and everything and am zooming all over all day. At night I finally sit down and my food monster comes out. lol

• Mountaingirl33
    Mountaingirl33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Oops..for me it's stress, no me time, and cookies
  • quintoespada
    quintoespada Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    peanut butter. carbs. bread. candy. anything sugary and creamy, ugh. cheesecake, too. cake and cupcakes in general. any of that.