My calorie burned on my fitbit dashboard keeps going up and I have recorded exercises on MyFitness

Options
sd4Texas
sd4Texas Posts: 12 Member
Just got my Fitbit Charge HR today. I've connected my Fitbit to MyFitness Pal and also RunKeeper. I haven't done any exercises and only wore more band today for 5 minutes which recorded 76 steps. Yet, on my Fitbit dashboard it says I've burned 1360 calories and the calorie burn amount keeps going up slowly but surely. I wore my band for only 5 minutes today after charging it. I haven't recorded my food intake either, so why does it show that I've burned this many calories when I've done absolutely nothing but 76 steps which can't burn 1360 and counting calories.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You burn calories when sleeping, and awake not moving, and every minute of the day.

Which if you have no steps, that's the level of calorie burn you get per minute - called your BMR, sleeping level.

So that is absolutely what should happen.

It's estimating your daily burn on what it sees you doing.

The fact you don't have the device on so it actually knows, eh, it's doing what it can with the info it can.
    In this case, the old axiom - garbage in, garbage out.

You obviously burned more of course.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    ^ What they said.

But why aren't you wearing it all the time?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), aka your maintenance calories. When you set up your Fitbit, it has to guesstimate your burn since midnight.

Only take off your Charge HR when it would get wet. And I suggest disconnecting Runkeeper until you understand how MFP + Fitbit work together.