Getting diagnosed?/Questions

Options
MrsRoberson12
MrsRoberson12 Posts: 9 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
I have had issues with my menstrual since it began. First they were normal, as they came every month, but they were extremely painful and heavy. Then I began to gain weight, they were still heavy and painful but they wouldn't stop. I had to stay on birth control but then that only seemed to last for so long, then I would have a non stop period even while taking them up to months. Then I started getting fibroid tumors and polyps and had a couple surgeries to have those removed. Cant have a child, because I have to stay on birth control or I will constantly be on my period. I do not ovulate or have periods regularly. I was put on some pill once, I can't remember name that was supposed to ovulate me. It did stop the non stop bleeding but after months, I actually didnt have a monthly at all or ovulate. Never had an official diagnosis just a few doctors tell me they believe this is the issue. Is there an actual test that is done? I have no insurance at the moment but as soon as it kicks in going to finally look more into this. Anything other than exercise and eating healthy that you can do, are there any otc supplements? Or only subscribed medications work with the issue?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    This sounds just like so many of us here. PCOS is a syndrome, which is a collection of conditions, so there isn't just one test. Best tests I know of for formal diagnosis:

1) hormone imbalances
    2) insulin resistance
    3) ovarian cysts

Those are the ones I know offhand. There are a few natural and prescription supplements that may help regain hormonal balance and normal periods to have children eventually, just based on your description above (I obviously don't know your personal history).

I would get a referral from your PCP or Gynecologist if you have one to an Endocrinologist. Sounds like a Gynecologist would not likely be able to handle the whole of your condition unless it was his/her specialty. (Not dissing them at all, just that most aren't trained in all aspects of this condition ... though not all Endo's are either...)

Good luck.